Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: On induction, I drank:
Decaf 225 29.53%
Regular, and I think it impaired my weight loss. 49 6.43%
Regular, and I think it had no effect on my weight loss. 488 64.04%
Voters: 762. You may not vote on this poll

#1   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 18:11
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default The Coffee Question

Hi all - I'm curious whether or not you drank regular coffee on induction, and whether or not you think it impaired your weight loss. Dr Atkins suggests avoiding it due to possible cravings, and there's also some evidence that it causes an insulin response. In real life, however, what effect do you think it has/d on you?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Sep-19-02, 21:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/167/167 Female 167cm
BF:45%/25.5%/20%

Hi Kristine,

I confess...never did quite give up my caffeine

I only ever have 2 cups per day - one with breakfast and one after dinner.

I lost 13lbs on induction and have lost steadily all along....who knows maybe I might've lost more if I had passed on the coffee....I'll just never know

Lesley
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 05:23

Stats: 159/145/135
BF:
Progress: 58%

I also never gave up my caffine I drank about 1 cup of coffee per day. I lost 12 lbs during induction, I don't think it really did effect my weight loss.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 05:32

Plan: formerly Atkins
Stats: 350/232/225 Female 5' 8"
BF:mooooo/moo/buff
Progress: 94%

I also tried to give up caffeine, the headaches were too much and after a week of suffering, I gave in. I did cut down from a pot a day to two big mugs a day. Coffee is my daily treat, I look forward to sitting back and enjoying it at the beginning and end of my day. I don't believe it has had any impact on my loss so far and if I find that it does, I would just switch to decaf before giving it up completely. I do know it doesn't trigger cravings for me though.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 05:36
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%

I've always be a java junkie... but with my recent stall I decided I would really try to cut it out. I only succeeded cutting back....and got it down to about 1-2 cups a day (from 4-5). However, I did drop some weight and broke my stall during that process. So perhaps it's whether or not you drink light, moderate or heavy amounts of caffeine that makes a difference.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 05:53

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

I don't drink a lot of coffee, especially during the warmer months. Usually it's 2 mugs a day (one at work in the morning and one after dinner) and sometimes a bit more on the weekends. I tried going decaf for about a month to see if the coffee was responsible for my [nearly 5 month] stall and it didn't have any impact at all. I think coffee is another YMMV thing. Some people are sensitive to the caffeine and should avoid it or use decaf, some don't have a problem with it at all.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 07:42

Stats: 258/241/155
BF:
Progress: 17%
Unhappy

I went out and bought the Lite coffee last week (my second formal week of Induction)...I love my java but it seemed that drinking my usual 5-8 cups a day on Induction during the first week was making my "nerves" wound up too tight...I hate decaf though (used that when I was pregnant) ... so I got the Lite thinking a compromise was better than nothing. Happy to report that as of today my java consumption has dropped to 3 cups with the Lite voluntarily (*lol* drinking all that water you know--and I'm STILL not up to 8 cups a day yet) and it tastes the same to me...best yet, hubby doesn't know he's also drinking Lite--I keep the coffee can turned around in the fridge so all one sees is the main label then their usual blather....
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 08:29

Plan: Atkins/Stnry Bike/Physio
Stats: 225/210/155 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

I didn't actually vote in your poll because there wasn't an option that fit me.

I was off of caffeine at the time that I started induction so it was a moot point. It wasn't easy for me to be without coffee because I'm definately a coffee lover, but I'd given it up because of my high blood pressure.

In the last month or so, I've started having a single high test cup in the morning and it doesn't seem to have made any difference with my weight loss, however I think it's a YMMV type thing.

Marlaine
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 08:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:

I also do the two cups a day thing. Breakfast and late afternoon. I'm sure moderation is a factor - it's not good for anyone to be chugging a lot of coffee and be constantly running on stress hormones, whether you're trying to lose weight or not.

I figured I'd do this poll to get some numbers and comments, so now, when newbies ask, "do I really have to give up coffee?" I'll just point them to this thread.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 11:15
Registered Member

Plan: Keeping carbs under 20
Stats: // Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:
Default Coffee

I used to be a Starbucks Adict, just one cup a day but it was the giant cup, coffee of the day black.

I continue to drink one cup a day in the morning (not starbucks) because of the fear of constipation. It hasn't hindered me at all. But it has kept me regular.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 11:41

Plan: PP/Atkins/PPLP
Stats: 224/192/150
BF:57%/42%/25%
Progress: 43%
Default Starbucks Coffee

Jersey, can you please explain what you mean about Starbucks? I love Starbucks coffee but also suffer sometimes from constipation, do you know something I don't?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 11:47
Lover of Life

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 233/169/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I too am a coffee lover. I have but two cups in the morning.
I cut down years ago due to high blood pressure.

I don't think it affects your weight loss, it hasn't me over the years. I managed to lose 76lbs. drinking the amount of coffee I do now.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 11:48

Stats: 315/283/170 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 22%
Cool

I guess I am the exception to the rule - I have been drinking coffee since I was 5 (black - no cream or sugar). Mom thought it was ok and we never drank any pop (soda for everyone else ). So, I have grown up on coffee - always regular, never decaf. I can drink a pot of coffee at night and go right to bed - maybe wake up for a pit stop in the middle of the night, but nothing else.

When I started this WOE, I never cut down on my coffee - I still drink a POT in the morning and a POT in the evening. I also will drink 100 oz. of water in between. For some stupid reason, I usually always have a cup of something hot (coffee or tea) as well as a cup of something cold (usually water). I am what you call a two fisted drinker!

So, guys, don't beat me up - I am losing fine and feel great. I have given up smoking, drinking, and carbs - coffee is all I have left!
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Sep-20-02, 12:53

Plan: atkins
Stats: 325/243/150
BF:
Progress: 47%
Default Off caffein for years now

I did not drink caffeinated coffee on induction. For health reasons, I have aspired to be off caffein for many years. I have my recidivist lapses, of course. I don't drink soft drinks anymore but for years I only drank caffein free soft drinks: diet sprite, diet seven up, diet root beer, diet ginger ale.

The hardest thing to give up, and I failed as often as I succeeded, was my morning caffeinated coffee. I can go months w/o it and then go back on it for months.

When I started induction, I was in a decaf coffee phase, which I am still maintaining.

Surfing these forums, it sure doesn't seem to make much difference to the folks who must have their caf coffee.

But a fun poll!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Sep-24-02, 11:39
Alan Rickman Addict

Stats: 220/139/155 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 125%

On induction I was drinking 2 + pots a day (and I still am ) and after I stopped losing I decided to cut the caffine to see if that was the cause. After 2 weeks off my coffee, my weight started to creep up and I hadn't changed anything else. So I added my beloved coffee back in and my weight loss started again.