Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 19:49

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

The CKD parameter sheet says go back to the LC eating, with 20g per day until Friday again.

I start the day off with aerobics on Sunday.

I didn't "time" my carb up. Was I supposed to???? I've had a hell of a time trying to get the carbs in today because it was a hairy, crazy, busy-butt day, ya know? I'm finishing up my carb up with about 2 cups of yams with Atkins syrup drizzled on top for a sweetner (zero everything), and a couple of thin sweet-n-low pancakes. I overshot my fat today because I wasn't near real food, so I stopped and bought an EAS bar.

I guess I better do some more research regarding the time frame for the carb up. Darn it... this was definitely a trial-and-error style weekend. I hate that, too.

Can't wait to get the doggone book!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 21:03
Registered Member

Plan: Combo of PP & CKD
Stats: 380/380/195 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Can't wait to get the doggone book!

Same here...

Well you learn by doing, that's for sure. I didn't meet my carb intake or fat, but i met my protein. I'm gonna start AM cardio on Sun and another session in the PM.

After looking back...I think the best way for me to met my carbs in is in liquid form, i.e., Gatorade. I'm thinking about skipping next weekends 24 hr carb up and just do a one hour carb up. (still thinking though).
  #63   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 21:17

Hey, I'm with you on the trying stuff out!! I didn't even know, or forgot, or missed it, or whatever..that there was a time limit. My time is so screwed up most of the time that it's hard to do ANYTHING right.

I went over the fat, by accident, today... darn it. But, better luck next time.

I'm still floundering around with ideas of stuff to eat.

I'm doing the 20MAS tomorrow morning, then walking around New Orleans for a couple of hours or so. Hope I can get into ketosis on time... I feel SO GUILTY about eating all those dang skittles! hahaha.
  #64   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 21:22
Registered Member

BF:

Sounds like a plan..

How much over(fat) did you go....probably wont hurt...

And...what's MAS.

lol

And...how are you calculating your protein and fat intake for the week??
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 21:27

Quote:
Originally posted by tyrelle
Sounds like a plan..

How much over(fat) did you go....probably wont hurt...

And...what's MAS.

lol

And...how are you calculating your protein and fat intake for the week??

I use the CKD parameter calculator

http://www.users.voicenet.com/~petr...ss/ckdcalc.html

Just give it the info it asks for and it will do the rest. I forgot who gave me the link (forgive me, whoever it was!!), but it's a huge help.

My fat grams were supposed to be 52, but I ended up with 80! Sucks. AND.. I had to eat late because of the way my day ended up going.

Should do better next week. I just hope I don't miss out on the fat loss this week because of it!
  #66   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 21:35
Registered Member

BF:

Yeah i'm using it..but i don't really trust it. It has me down for 266g fat a day....i guess that figure is ok.
  #67   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 21:40

Mine has it increasing from day one to day five, and you know what? It really "feels" right! I've been doing Atkins for six months and it never quite felt "right" where the fat was concerned. Felt like too much one day, not enough the next. This amount, even on the highest day (at 213g) feels right. Not too much, not too little. I felt REALLY good for those five days and felt awesome on Friday!

I first thought I'd get weaker thoughout the week, but Friday really kicked butt! I think the gradual increase in fat just bumps up the ole furnace, ya know? Dr. Atkins tells people on his plan if they stall to try and cut back protein a little bit and up the fat. It's the whole "metabolic advantage" thing.

I don't think your fat grams sound too bad, hardly higher than mine, and I'm sure you have more LBM than I do.
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 21:48
Registered Member

BF:

I'm doing 10cals instead of 12cals...'cause i want to lose the fat fast. I think my grams stay the same unless i'm missing something in the readout. But like you, i'm remember reading in the Power protein book that fat isn't that important...but the protein is...so i'll just have to put my faith in that.
  #69   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 21:57

I see what you mean! Man, you'd think I didn't have a brain these days!! LOL.

I think I might stick with the 12/cals/lb/day myself. Thank you for pointing that out to me, Tyrelle. How embarassing that I missed that! I don't know that the 12 cals/lb/day is right for me or not, but I'll try it out this week and see how it goes.

((Think I need more brain food this week!))
  #70   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 22:00

Oh, Tyrelle... I forgot to mention:

Just be careful with lowering the calories too much. Remember that with low carbing you don't want to slip back into the old "low calorie/low fat" trap. When you lower the calories per day, it's lowered by fat and protein portions...and the carbs, of course, stay the same. I tried it with the calculator and it lowered protein and fat daily grams to lower calories!
  #71   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 22:07
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks J. for that info...I also remember reading on this board that it may stall you too. I think i'll go with 12cals to be on the safe side....hey I could use some ''brain food'' too...I have an ''early midterm on Monday!!...I've been thinking to much and now my head hurts.
  #72   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 22:20

Wow, tyrelle! That's tough doing CKD! LOL.. nothing like that brain fog early in the week, eh?

Good luck on your mid-terms!

And you know, I was so anal about my grades (honor student) that my chemistry teacher pulled me aside one day and said, "do you know what happens when you pour a big bucket of water into the toilet?" I said, "Yeah. It flushes." She said, "that's what you're doing to your brain!" LOL.

She was a NEAT lady, but I HAD to get an A on every test or I wasn't happy. I had yet another teacher tell me.. "slow down, and enjoy your education."

But... I studied until my brain went numb. I always knew when I had it ALL. Every word. Because I simply couldn't read it anymore--or focus. Not from studying too long, but from just getting to the point of understanding the info.

Over the last week it seems I'm doing the same thing with CKD... trying to pour all the info I can into my brain that I can.

Again, good luck on your mid-term! I'm sure you'll do fine!!!!
  #73   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 22:30
Registered Member

BF:

Wow...great insight (education). I'm going to use that. I wish u well on tomorrow and the week...have a nice nite.

(good nite all)
  #74   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 22:40

Good night!
  #75   ^
Old Sun, Sep-15-02, 09:57

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6

Quote:
Originally posted by tyrelle
I'm doing 10cals instead of 12cals...'cause i want to lose the fat fast. I think my grams stay the same unless i'm missing something in the readout. But like you, i'm remember reading in the Power protein book that fat isn't that important...but the protein is...so i'll just have to put my faith in that.

When I was a young man we didn't have any of them CKD calculators.

We did it the old skool way:

1. Pick a calorie level. 12 cal/lb * day is a good level to start, 10 cal/lb * day works too.

2. Calculate the total calorie requirement based on that. For me it's 185 * 12 = 2220 cal / day.

3. Pick a protein amount. I use three levels:

0.5 g/lb * day
0.75 g/lb * day
1 g/lb * day

If you're NOT training with heavy weights (like most people, i.e., you don't bend the regular 45 bar ): use 0.5 for the first two days of keto to induce ketosis, 0.75 thereafter. If you are training with heavy weights (i.e., the gym stops when you arrive because you steal all the plates): use 0.75 for the first two days, 1 thereafter. For me it's ca. 95 g and ca. 140 g respectively - I haven't even been inside a gym in months, I run and do calisthenics.

4. Calculate the calories from protein. For me it's 95 * 4 = 380 and 140 * 4 = 560, respectively.

5. Subtract the protein calories from the total calories determined in #2. These are your fat calories.

Voila!