Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 14:07
Registered Member

Plan: Combo of PP & CKD
Stats: 380/380/195 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default THE book

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Carb-up and Fat-ups

I got my info off the training article by Lyle posted at thinkmuscle.com

So you didn't buy the book? I'm getting alot of information from these boards but I was wondering if I need to buy the book to get other information that may be important...your thoughts...

Oh and I enjoy your post :-)
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 15:05

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

I got Myoplex MAss powder, I thinkt he protien may f*ck me up but its better than drinking pepsi.

I hate to make the carb up such a rigid thing, but I hate to think haha so I am gonna get carbo force for next weekends, use myoplex for this weekend see how it feels. I decided however that along with my prescription like intake of carbs I will add one thing I have wanted to eat all week with each meal. I will have an apple danish, ructose schmuctose, I want that danish. I will have a handful of chocolate covered almonds, I will have a donut of some sort
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 15:08

Plan: CKD
Stats: 190/190/180
BF:6

By the way, I'm not a Fructose Nazi. I was just layin' out the facts. Last weekend I was eating Pure Protein bars and they have some fructose in them, although not much.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 17:01

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%
Default Re: ckd isn't working!

Quote:
Originally posted by Iowagirl
And I think I know why...I've been going hogwild on the weekends (this is Iowa, we have to say hogwild) and not watching my fat intake. So as from watching THAT I will add a 30 minute cardio on Sunday morning (I'm thinking I should have been doing this all along - my bad). I am also considering one of two things. Either a 24 hour carb load or a split carb load. Questions - if I do a 24 hour carb up, say Friday only then what do I do on Saturday? Back to low carb and cardio to bring on ketosis? Or do I wait until Sunday to exercise? If I do a split carb up, say Wednesday/Sunday how does this look in terms of exercise?

Awaiting words of wisdom from your fount o' knowledge.

CARB-Up is about the most funnest thing for me!! And I generally stick by the rules. There is no need to cheat and go a lot of fat. There is some Non-Fat frozen yogurt at the RAlphs by my house, I asked to look at the nutrition information in it (fructose check), and it turns out the ingrediants are Maltodextrin and Sucrose (2 good things). So I get like 2 pint of these for $6. then ,ix it with Non-FAt Milk in the blender at my house, this is SO good and non-fat you would be amazed. + Powdered GArotade is Dextrose and Sucrose, ext ext.....the list goes on of awesome foods that are low fat and no-fructose.

So basically my point is do some more label reading and you can find foods that are awesome and functional w/out messing up yuor carb-up. I would try this before I do any split carb loading or anything like that, this could negate supercompinsation of glycogen in muscles, hence to 2 day carb up, which is really something to take advantage of.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 19:04

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default Re: THE book

Quote:
Originally posted by tyrelle
So you didn't buy the book? I'm getting alot of information from these boards but I was wondering if I need to buy the book to get other information that may be important...your thoughts...

Tyrelle, I was referring in that quoted post to a specific workout plan for a shorter carb up

I do think having the book as reference is a must (and I actually plan on getting a copy ). I've spent a year LCing and I've read extensively on the subject. Over the past month I've poured over medical abstracts/journals and Lyle's papers at www.low-carb.org and of course picked through all the posts here to gather enough information to attempt this. I also have a copy of Trainerdan's book on Metabolism in which he details how to do the CKD.

A CKD, IMHO, is not something to be entered into lightly - especially if you're a lifelong LCer.

I think if you get all your ducks in a row there's enough info around that you could attempt one - Having read PP already I'd think you'd have an understanding of how this works. And there have been some great threads here of late because this forum has been so active.

Does that answer your question? Or just give you more ?

Nat
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 20:42
Registered Member

BF:

Thanks for the reply...

You did answer my question...I've been reading alot myself on the CKD today...seems doable for me. I think in the long run this plan would help me more so than the PP Plan.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-10-02, 23:27

Plan: T-Dawg
Stats: 265/155/145
BF:
Progress: 92%

I love carb-ups. I buy two boxes of eggo hotcakes and some table syrup and I'm set.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 02:59

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10

Quote:
Originally posted by jaystrike
I love carb-ups. I buy two boxes of eggo hotcakes and some table syrup and I'm set.

I'm started mine 5 hours ago and i am *SWEATING* like a fish, shoving dextrose into my system as well as sucrose. Beautiful. Awesome men!
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-11-02, 10:20
empress of fashion

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Ok, how does this look.....on Friday's carb up (day one) I will do 60 grams fat, 630 carbs, 135 protein and roughly 3600 calories. I have already figured this on fitday with oatmeal, honey, granola, bread, skim milk, etc. to fuel me. I stayed under those calories by about 200, slightly under those carbs, on the money for the protein and about 62 grams of fat. In theory, my Saturday would be 30 fat, 310 carb, 126 protein and 2331 calories. Sound good?

Don't remember where I got these numbers, probably Lyle's article.

Unfortunately Saturday will be a theory only as I am attending a wedding/staying with the inlaws - so many variables I will just have to watch myself. I'm thinking if I stay primarily vegetarian I'll be ok.

I now remember why I strayed from the parameters a few weeks ago - when I planned this all on fitday it came to a COLOSSAL amount of food! But I will try, try again. And if you don't see me posting on this website anymore it's because I've blown up.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 14:03

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Yep, I hear you on that. It's bizarre, but the LC part of the week is "normal eating" to me.. and the weekend is freakish / fake food. If it helps with the fat loss I can do it though...... pass the Skittles!

Nat

So it WAS you who said we could include Skittles for the high GI carbs? Yaaay!.. I love skittles.

What else do you include, Nat? I may have not searched correctly on the board, but I tried to find more info on what you usually ate during carb ups... guess I should've checked your journals??

All you pros and veterans, etc., etc... on this board are the best!!!!!!
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 20:53

Quote:
Originally posted by Iowagirl
And herein lies some of my confusion. Amidst all the skittle talk I am thinking - I'll go ahead and bake that peach cobbler for the weekend....but I don't hear of anyone else eating that way. Have I grossly misunderstood? Am I supposed to be face down in a sugar bowl on carb up days? I would prefer those home made yummies - skittles are freak food to me.

LOL.... Iowa girl, the visuals I got from that are funny as heck.
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 21:26
Registered Member

BF:

Jaliliah,

Quick question for you...how are you caculating your carb intake and protein intake right after your workout. You know within that 2 hr. period?
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 21:41

Hi, Tyrelle:

Not sure what you mean how am I calculating the carb intake, etc. I follow the parameters sheet at this time, and my workout is BFL, so I have to eat within 45min after working out (Nat said the sooner the better, so that's what I've been doing). On aerobic days I wait an hour after working out to eat.

Is that what you're asking??
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-12-02, 22:29
Registered Member

BF:

Hey Jalilah,

Thanks for replying... I found the answer... I just had to break out my TI-89 Calculator...lol

Best wishes on the Carb-load. I'm pretty nervous about it though..I hope I bought the correct foods.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Sep-13-02, 06:37

I'm a bit nervous, too.. but like TrainerDan said... (not verbatim, btw), it's not a scientific experiment. We'll probably do okay... I hope. LOL

My biggest concern is that my workout schedule doesn't include a "depletion" workout, so I'm going to just push harder on the day when I start my carb loading.

My second biggest concern is that---and this is silly, I know---but I wonder when it comes down to candy (skittles, smarties, etc.), doesn't seem like it would take long to get 556g with pure sugary stuff. Ya know? But from what I understand (IF I understand), we move on to lower GI stuff after the first 6 hours.. my guess that's like the foods that TrainerDan listed in the sticky about carb up foods (did you read that thread yet?).

We'll see, eh?

Good luck to both of us!