Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Sep-14-02, 07:45

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jalilah, if fat loss is your goal you should avoid hitting those 10s on depletion day. This is why the depletion workout is usually a circuit program - you want many reps with less weight than usual to deplete glycogen stores - not to stress and tear muscles to the point of DOMS the next day. I believe Lyle discusses this in the thinkmuscle.com article describing the workouts and which one to do on which day.

Quote:
There are two options for the Friday workout. One is to perform a tension workout to stimulate growth during the carb-load. The second is to do a high-rep depletion workout, which should be done in circuit fashion solely to deplete muscle glycogen.

HTH
Nat
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 10:42
Registered Member

Plan: Super Mass Plan
Stats: 172/172/200
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just thought I'd throw this in.

Cocoa Pebbles, skim milk and chocolate whey protein.
Awesome for a carb up and it tastes so damn good!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 11:09

Plan: CKD Sept '02
Stats: 280/240/200
BF:
Progress: 50%

my kids are gonna be really bummed when they find an empty box of cocoa pebbles friday morning

thanks Iron Bull
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 11:37
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Dog
my kids are gonna be really bummed when they find an empty box of cocoa pebbles friday morning

thanks Iron Bull

Also try:
-grilled cheese sandwich with whole wheat bread
and fat free cheese.
-fat free oatmeal cookies
-fat free muffins
-fat free crackers with fat free cheese and lean deli meats
-Oatmeal and sugar free jam which contains dextrose and maltodextrine
-fat free sour cream and onion Pringles potatoe chips (These are not the best choice for a carb up). Yes they are alittle high in sodium so take it easy on these. Although I did eat the whole container this past weekend.

Its so friggin weird looking for fat free products when I go food shoppin on the Friday. It's like an episode from the CKD Twilight Zone.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 11:42
Registered Member

BF:

Oh and add sushi to that list:
Just make sure to keep it high carb, moderate protein and low fat.
Some good choices are the tuna, yellowtail, fluke, and shrimp.

I like to order it sashimi style with two bowls of white rice but the sushi is also good

pssssst....
use the low sodium soy sauce
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 12:26

Plan: BFL
Stats: 190/?/135
BF:21%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Jalilah, if fat loss is your goal you should avoid hitting those 10s on depletion day. This is why the depletion workout is usually a circuit program - you want many reps with less weight than usual to deplete glycogen stores - not to stress and tear muscles to the point of DOMS the next day. I believe Lyle discusses this in the thinkmuscle.com article describing the workouts and which one to do on which day.

HTH
Nat

Thanks, Nat. But wont that mess up my routine for the week since I lift only three days with BFL??

Iron Bull and Big Dog...... love the suggestions!! The cocoa pebbles, I assume, are day 1 carbs, or day II?

DANG....now I'm looking forward to Friday because of cocoa pebbles?
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 12:28

Default Carb loading food? Would this work?

I picked up a package of Mambas (fruit chews) this past weekend to see what kind of sugar was in them. The first ingredient was "glucose syrup." would that work as well as skittles or smarties? I realize though that the chewy types (like skittles) have fat in them as well...so have higher calories.

But I was just curious.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 12:43

BF:

Cocoa Pebbles are day one food.

I also found some fat free Animal Crackers and fat free Jello Pudding in the dairy case.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 13:24

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Jalilah I merged your post with this thread - I think we already have two carb up foods threads going

If you scroll down the page you'll find a very long discussion on the types of sugar you can and should not use - High Fructose Corn Syrop, good or bad? (You can also try typing "glucose" and "sugar" into the search page on THIS forum - it's a very useful tool for finding past discussions (especially ones you know exists, but don't remember where to find them).

This post might prove useful as well: Effective use of the Search Function

Nat
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 13:25
Registered Member

BF:

Definitely consume all the high GI carbs in the first day, especially the liquid carbs. Switch to foods that are lower GI and full of fiber on day two. You should maybe even switch to lower GI carbs towards the end of day one.

I only carb up from 10:00 am to midnight every saturday.
I basically stick to all high GI carbs.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 15:45

Sorry Nat! I didn't think of looking under sugar or glucose. I did look under foods (too general..LOL), carb up foods, and carb loading, though.

I know I'm a pain in the butt. I'll be good.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 16:04

Quote:
Originally posted by Iron Bull
Definitely consume all the high GI carbs in the first day, especially the liquid carbs. Switch to foods that are lower GI and full of fiber on day two. You should maybe even switch to lower GI carbs towards the end of day one.

I only carb up from 10:00 am to midnight every saturday.
I basically stick to all high GI carbs.

IB, your workout doesn't suffer from only doing one day carb ups? I mean, do you have enough energy, etc.? And what is your total daily carbs? Sorry to ask so many questions...I'm just curious. Also, if the CKD parameters show a certain amount for day one, and a certain amount for day 2, do you combine them into one day, or do you just use the day 1???
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 19:49

BF:

I do a one day carb up also, i have done my carb ups from 6am to 6pm the last two fridays. I low carb saturday and sunday and dont do any workouts, so far i have had any energy problems when i get back to lifting and my weights have increased each of the last two weeks.

I use the carb count from the first day and ignore the second day.

I transition from high GI to low GI during the day.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Sep-16-02, 20:51

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

I just started the one day carb up thing. I just feel so much more...safe. Doing it. I decided to really try and do it right as opposed to just drinking soda and eating ceral randomly. I got Myoplex mass and I have 2 packets tottaling 156g of carbs right after the depletion workout, then comes the sweet tarts and then the cereal& oatmeal then the pasta then the potatoes and rice. I went 9pm Friday to 9pm saturday and had around 809g of carbs total. Sunday I really felt great, I could see my muscles actually inflated, plus my brain wasnt in "oh man I ate to long I screwed up" mode. That really messes with my inertia for the week. "why am I doing this if I just eat like a pig on the weekends and dont do this right"

I really say go with the 24 hour. I think I had around 4000 calories, assuming my body didnt need all of them and decided to start storing it as fat I gained one pound at the most (Ridiculous I know just saying haha) I lost 5 total, and only gained 3 pounds of water and sugar weight from the carbup and am already back down. We'll see how I fare when I get past this weekend without carbing up and start my super heavy sets. I carb up in 2 week increments to attempt to lose more fat. I had no issues with energy at all really, but we'll see.
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Sep-17-02, 08:44

BigDog & Beaver... thanks!

The list of foods is extremely helpful!!

As far as the cereal goes (excluding oatmeal), what's the deal with the sugar? Isn't there a lot of high fructose corn syrup in those, or do you use non-sugary types of cereal? Is there a cereal you could recommend that I don't have to add milk to (I hate milk)?

I know this will be a lot easier when my book gets here, but you guys are really helping me out in a major way until then. I really, really appreciate it! (this board is awesome!).

I seem to be dragging this week, unfortunately. Workouts are a little harder to get through, too. I honestly don't think I carbed up right the second day, and probably not the first either, knowing me. That, and I misread the parameters sheet, so that means I upped the fat all week long...well, until Friday, of course. But, Friday's workout was awesome!! And, the last few days I've been REALLY hungry, and I had a little more protein and fat yesterday than I should. I didn't go way over...about 2oz or so in protein and close to about 158g fat instead of the 140g I was going to stick with.

Also, maybe the 20g carbs from Sunday to Thursday is kicking my butt quite a bit, too. I dunno.