Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 13:53
Registered Member

Plan: ##
Stats: ##/##/##
BF:
Progress: 12%
Default Need a buddy

Hi - I recently started back on the LC WOL and would love to have someone to chat with. I am a registered nurse, wife, and mother of three who has had a weight problem all of my life. I have been on every diet imaginable - but know in my heart there is really only one (actually, I feel dieting is not for me - so WOL is what I'm saying here). This WOE is the only way that I can feel "sane", it's funny because even though I want to lose the weight, I stay with and go back to LCing because of the way it makes everything run smoother in my life. I started exercising this week - I've been walking on the treadmill, lifting some weights, and swimming - feel great!! My husband and kids have been exercising with me which helps so much - great to have people nudging me to go - hopefully I will eventually want to go! I've decided to throw out the bathroom scale this time around and only weigh myself once/week at the gym - I become so obcessed with weighing that I feel this is best. Letting the scale dictate how my day will go had to end - so far so good!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 18:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 243/217/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hi Tanya,

It's great you are LCing. How long did you do so before?

I've been LCing since April.

I agree with you about the scale. I had a horrible day today after getting on the scale and seeing I was UP two pounds. (Apparently I am still not over the shock.) Although now I know it must just be water weight, but I was soooo mad! I don't know why I can't stay away from the scale. I feel better than I ever have so why isn't that enough?

Anyway, I would be happy to buddy up with you.

Summer
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 19:06
Registered Member

BF:

Summer - I did atkins two years ago and lost 65 pounds, I felt great! Then I got pneumonia and for some reason that threw me - I was feeling so rotten that I thought food would help - HA! Anyways . . . I have been on and off since then, but this time I am more serious than I have been since two years ago. I know that this is the WOE for me - so now that I've made that decision, I know what I have to do. I had to get rid of the scale simply because it dictated the way my day would go so much that it sabotoged (sp?) my weight loss. Today I have felt so anxious - not sure what about, just fidgity. How long have you been LCing? I'm so happy to have someone to chat with - I think this will really help! I really need help staying motivated, I'm not hungry anymore - something that happens after I'm LCing for a week or so, but it's so easy to "fall off the wagon" and so hard to get back on! I have been exercising more, which feels great when I'm there . . . but I have trouble getting there - it is getting easier though, so hope this will continue! Great to hear from you - hope to chat again soon!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 19:21
Registered Member

BF:

Summer - just realized that I asked a question you had already answered - since April is great!! I'm sure the two pounds is water weight - I fluctuate so much during the day, I know how frustrating this can be. Hope tomorrow is great for you, I have to work a 12 hour shift at the hospital tomorrow which is easier than the days that I am home - keeps my mind off eating, although nurses are terrible for bringing in treats for just about any reason you can think of - not exactly practicing what we preach! Talk to you later -
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 07:38

BF:

Hi Tanya,

Having already lost 65 lbs previously must be a great motivator. I know what you mean about exercising. I always feel better AFTER I do it, but I never feel like starting. I guess it takes time for your brain to motivate you that you will feel better.

What do you do for exercise? I usually walk on the treadmill. My boyfriend lifts weights and runs. He keeps telling me I should start lifting some small weights to build muscle. I just need to get motivated there too.

Being on this site is a great help. I've been posting practically since I started LCing. It's nice to have other people who feel the same as you to chat with.

Do you work at a hospital? I work for an insurance company in Boston.

Summer
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 19:27
Registered Member

BF:

Summer - How was your day? Mine was good - just got home from work - yes I work in a hospital, I'm a registered nurse in the intensive care nursery.

I was going to go exercise tonight, but I'm tired and decided coming home and sleeping was more important - tomorrow I will go after work though.

I got a membership to the gym at the hospital I work for in Sioux Falls, SD - I usually do the treadmill, or the precor machine and then I lift weights - light ones. My husband got me talked into that, he loves to lift so I decided to try - it is a good feeling. I also like to swim, but don't do that too much.

I think I need something different in my diet but have no clue what that is. Do you ever get tired of eating LC? After I have been LCing for a couple of weeks, I get this "not hungry" feeling and I don't eat as much and everything I think of thats LC just doesn't sound good. I really need to get more creative or something

Well I suppose I better get going, my bed is calling and tomorrow morning will be here before I know it! Have a great day
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Aug-24-02, 17:31

BF:

Hi Tanya,

I didn't exercise yesterday or today. I'm having company tomorrow so I had alot to do. But I plan to walk on the treadmill tomorrow morning. I don't like to skip days. When I got home from work last night I did some housework and today I had to do some errands. That's great you joined a gym. I think when I am closer to my goal I may do that too.

Your job must be really interesting and rewarding.

I haven't been bored with LCing yet. I don't really miss carbs, I just wish the weight loss would happen faster. Do you use the shakes and bars? I do, I have a shake a couple of times a week, but I'm trying to cut down on the Agvantage bars.

Do you cook? I like to cook and bake (which I haven't done alot lately - to avoid temptation).

I've been having a salad every night with dinner, I know my boyfriend is really bored with them, but he doesn't complain. He isn't LCing but he eats the same dinner as me. If he's has carbs he usually has them outside. It is a big help that I don't have those foods around, for "just a taste".

Hope your weekend is going well. Talk to you soon.

Summer
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 09:46
Registered Member

BF:

Good morning Summer! Hope you are having fun with your company. I am going to go to the gym soon and exercise, wish I was more excited about it - but it will be fine once I am there - funny how that works!

I know what you mean about the slow weight loss - I put my scale out in the storage shed because I would get so discouraged from weighing myself all the time. I plan to weigh myself weekly at the gym and that's it, otherwise I am constantly jumping on the scale. I was at the point where I let the scale dictate how my day would be (not a good idea!)

I don't like the shakes, not sure why, probably OD'd on slimfast and can't choke them down. I do eat the bars, they really save me. I know some people say you shouldn't or that they slow the weight loss down, but if they keep you LCing then I don't see much harm. I also love Ketocrisp cocoa cereal, do you ever eat that? It helps that I can have breakfast in the morning.

I do like to cook, but my husband has been doing alot of it lately, which is a great help. It seems as though the more I can stay out of the kitchen the better! I have three children so it is tempting in my kitchen alot - but I can't just buy LC and expect them to follow it. I have been buying alot of fruit for snacks for them and things that don't tempt me. It's funny how when I'm eating carbs if those things where in the kitchen they would be gone, but when I'm LCing I just don't crave things like I used to. My husband made steak and shrimp last night, it was ready when I got home from work - it was so nice not to have time to think - gee I really don't feel like cooking - it was great!

Well I suppose I better get to the gym - have a great day!
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Aug-25-02, 10:51

BF:

Hi Tanya,

I'm just hanging out waiting for people to show up, so I thought I'd check in.

I've never tried any of the cereals. I probably should because I usually have hard boiled eggs for breakfast EVERY day.

How old are your kids? I don't have any.

That's great that your husband cooks, that must be a big help. I live with my boyfriend, he does most of the housework and will pick stuff up at the store for dinner, but he doesn't cook. I can't complain though, because he really does do every thing else. And I like to cook so I guess it works out well.

Hope you had a good workout at the gym. I walked on the treadmill this morning. I hardly ever feel like exercising but once I do it I always feel better. I don't know why that doesn't motivate me for the next time, but it never does.

Talk to you later.

Summer
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Aug-26-02, 06:20

BF:

Hi Tanya,

How are you doing? I'm OK. I had a cheat yesterday - you can look at my journal to see my food. Of course, I'm sorry now. But I'm back on track and focusing on moving forward.

I did end up having a really good time with my friends. It was great to see them. It's funny how much time has passed but we still have a great time together. It was really nice.

Hope everything is going well for you. Talk to you later.

Summer
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 17:52

BF:

Hi Tanya,

Hope everything is going well for you. You haven't posted.

I am going away tomorrow morning, Wednesday. I may be online before I go, but if not I'll post on Friday when I get back.

Talk to you soon.

Summer
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Aug-27-02, 19:17
Registered Member

BF:

Hi Summer how are you? I've had a terrible last couple of days - ugh! I feel rotten, don't know why I ever eat carbs they make me feel so bad. You know I still want to lose weight - but it's not even so much about that anymore as it is that I just want to feel good! Anyways tomorrow will be better. I just got off work and I want to go to bed and it's only 8:13 - how sad - ha ha. I think what happened to me is that I didn't feel like I was losing weight, so I weighed myself and I freaked - I wasn't losing weight, in fact if anything I gained, even though I've been completely faithfull for three weeks, so I ate - like that makes sense?? I also decided that I should go on a low-fat diet and went to the store and bought stuff for that, but now I realize what a stupid idea that is and that I just need to stay away from the scale. Also I think I need to nix the atkins bars - I think maybe they are too convenient, and may be slowing my weight loss. I wanted to tell you that it was so nice, when I'm feeling so low and confused, to get such a nice letter from you showing concern - I think having someone to relate to is half that battle! Have a great day tomorrow and I will look forward to hearing from you.
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Aug-30-02, 12:01

BF:

Hi Tanya,

How are you doing? I just got home today.

Are you back on LC? I KNOW how frustrating it can be when the scale isn't moving. (I keep telling myself that it took a long time to gain all this weight, it's going to take a while for it to come off, right?) I hope you are back on track. I can't even consider doing low fat, too hungry all the time and I KNOW that doesn't work!

You just need to give this some time. Plus the scale may not be moving because you've been going to the gym, you could be building muscles. Have you taken your measurements? If not you should, it really does help to see the inches decrease.

You've already seen amazing results, so you know that this can work.

I had a little cheat while I was away, (unplanned). And I'm planning a cheat on Sunday. Then no cheating until Thanksgiving. I really want to get to my goal but I know if I plan a cheat - one meal, not the whole day, and get right back on track I'm OK. I am going to have to do this for life. I know I'd get to my goal faster without any cheats but then I think I'm setting myself up for feeling deprived and possibly failing.

I hope you post later today so that I know you're doing OK now.

Summer
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Sep-04-02, 22:28
Registered Member

BF:

Summer - Sorry it has taken me so long to post, I worked over the weekend and Labor day, so have been catching up from that. I haven't done real well the last few days, but I will do better tomorrow - a fresh start! I need to just forget about the days that I didn't do so well and move on. How have you been? I hope well!

It's amazing how miserable I am when I'm not eating LC and yet . . I do it anyways - I don't exercise, I want to sleep all the time, I feel bloated, and I'm irritable - the list could go on and on - but I won't bore you.

Well I'm going to turn in for the night but I will write more tomorrow and I hope to hear from you too! Have a great day,
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Sep-05-02, 06:29

BF:

Welcome back!!!

I've been thinking about, wondering how you were doing. I'm really glad you're back!

Don't worry about what happened, it's in the past. Just focus on starting fresh today.

I have the same issues, where I know if I eat right and exercise I'll feel better, but that doesn't always make it easier to DO IT.

I'm doing OK. Had my planned cheat over the Labor Day wkend but I am back on track and not planning another cheat until Thanksgiving. I'm also hoping to be down 5 more lbs by 11/01/02.

I'm at work, but I will check in later and see how you are doing.

Summer