Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:21
Registered Member

Plan: Self imposed lowering of carb intake
Stats: 214/189/145 Female 5'3"
BF:As IF I'm tellin'!
Progress: 36%
Default kidee

Have you tried cooking your bacon in the microwave? You can buy special microwave cooking dishes that have grooves to allow the grease to flow down in. My microwave came with a rack which stands up on legs. I layer that rack with a paper towel, a layer of bacon, followed by another paper towel, another row of bacon, topped with another paper towel. This takes about 6 minutes or so to cook. I cook alot at one time, then store it in the fridge to snack on when I want something in a hurry.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 18:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 146/145/130 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:30%
Progress: 6%

Has anyone tried the "just the cheese" crackers/chips that are out and about? They are only quarter size so they wouldn't work as a tortilla. Whomever came up with this thank thank you thank you! I was so programed to swearing off cheese because its dairy and full of fat that I think I am now in heaven with all the cheese I can eat!
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:20
Registered Member

Stats: 197/165/130 Female 5'4"
BF:??/29/20
Progress: 48%

Yeah, I've tried the "just the cheese" things -- they are AMAZINGLY good, especially the "pizza" kind, but also pretty expensive. Being a poor college student, I am drawn to things I can make in the microwave :-> and I knew, absolutely knew, that somebody here would know how to make the cheese crisps! I'd bet you a dollar that the "just the cheese" people snagged the recipe from a board just like this one :->
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Jul-29-03, 15:56
Yo-Yo

Plan: Lighter Life
Stats: 284/234/167 Female 5 foot 10 inchs
BF:yes very!!!
Progress: 43%

Im gonna make cheese crackers they sound lush I am droolin at the thought of them now
  #95   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-03, 11:00

Plan: Atkins - modified
Stats: 280/253/160 Female 5'4"
BF:50+/44.4/25
Progress: 23%

Been making these for years in microwave on corelle plate... thin slices that melt together... remove while still hot....always felt rather guilty eating them, but now... wowow.....
Love all the other ideas, must try the "crackers", and using as taco shell, and adding flavours...
think I've died and gone to heaven... ll
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-03, 17:54
Registered Member

Plan: adkins
Stats: 225/00/170 Female 5.11
BF:
Progress: 409%

You guys are great!!! Heading to the microwave now;;;;;; hmmm, should I try havarti or cheddar?
  #97   ^
Old Sun, Aug-10-03, 10:02
Airy Cats Eyes

Stats: 198/180/171 Female 5'5"
BF:diminishing daily
Progress: 67%

Last year, my DH introduced me to semi-melted Wisconsin cheese curds!!! Not crunchy but definitely yummy--I felt guilty eating them then, because they were a no-no in Weight Watchers!!!
Eri
  #98   ^
Old Mon, Aug-11-03, 18:24
Registered Member

Stats: 170/155/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi Terri !! I am a newbie of 7 days. 3pds down. and the gravings for sweets are gone !! Amen. Thanks for the Cheese Chips. One other thing you are a very beautiful lady and very proud of you with that great weight lose !!! bye from California
"Arnold/ Governor crazy race".....
  #99   ^
Old Tue, Aug-12-03, 18:52

Stats: 239/208/135 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:don't go there!!!
Progress: 30%

HELP!!!!

QUESTION ABOUT COOKING CHEESE CRACKERS!!!!!

I HAVE TRIED THE MICROWAVE,OVEN AND SKILLET AND HAVE THOUGHT iI WAS COOKING THEM LONG ENOUGH BUT THEY COME OUT SOFT AND CHEWY.

Can you cook them too long or iin the skillet do you need to flip them or will they cook until crisp on just the one side??
  #100   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 09:58

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 190/150/150 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default cheese crisps are GGgrrrrreat!

These are awesome -- Mr. Bill and I are both happily addicted! Swiss and cheddar both worked first time out, but Gruyere (our favorite) just turned into a swamp of grease. EEewwww.
I find I can use the parchment 3 times max -- the third time around, they're a bit hard to peel off!
Can't wait to try sprinkling with blue -- what fun! Cheese on cheese!
Thanks for this great idea!
  #101   ^
Old Wed, Aug-13-03, 13:03
Registered Member

Stats: 170/155/130 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I do not put the cheese in the microwave, it comes out better in the oven. Have you guys tried Havariti & Dill? Oh Boy is this one good. Start off by doing just one square of cheese watch to see how it melts. Not too crisp, then you do the rest. I also made a "quiche" with 1pd lean hamburger, 1/2 pd of garlic sausage and 5 strips of bacon and a small scallion and 5 or so mushrooms. Cook bacon by itself. Brown the hamburger, sausage, onion and scallion. press into a 9x13 or 8" glass dish firmly.
Beat 5 eggs 1/2 C heavy cream, salt pepper, 1/2 +/- of italian seasoning. Pour over cooled hamburger layer. I added 8 oz of swiss cheese and 2-3 oz of cheddar cheese. You can also add some Mozzerella. I like swiss better. You can really add as much cheese as you want. Bake ~350 for about 40 min. Watch it, so it doesnt get too dark on the edges. When center rises check with toothpick. This is so good. I have it for breakfast, lunch and even dinner. Salsa would be good with it. Still on induction here. Or sliced tomatoes with olive oil and fresh basil..Golly I am hungry...bye for now..
  #102   ^
Old Tue, Aug-19-03, 10:32

Stats: 260/237/149 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 21%

These snacks are terrific. We take a slice of yellow american cheese and put it on parchment paper (we reuse the same piece of paper 10-12 times) and microwave it about 1 minute depending on how thin we have the deli slice it. We sometimes break it into 9 little squares so it resembles cheezits. If you ask the deli for swiss cheese sliced thin and cook it the same way, they come out looking and tasting like potato chips. These will be going into my childrens lunch bags since we are all lcing and love them. You need to let them fully cool before closing the little baggies. Then hide them.
  #103   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 14:39

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 296/293/199 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 3%
Smile

THANK YOU GUYS FOR THE TIPS ON "CHEESE CRACKERS"!
I HAVE LONGED FOR SOMETHING GOOD, CRISPY, AND LOW CARB.
AND THESE ARE FAR LESS EXPENSIVE THAN THE PRE PACKED
LOW CARB CHIPS. I'M IN HEAVEN!
  #104   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 14:48

Plan: HCG/LCHF
Stats: 224/201/190 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Just thought I'd mention that while on vacation, I made cheese chips in a frying pan with a piece of parchment paper on the bottom - they turned out great! And you can do a bunch at one time. Couldn't use the microwave cos my BIL was already sleeping and the darn thing "dings" too much!
  #105   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 17:29
Registered Member

Plan: BE AT 225 BY 6-14-04!!!
Stats: 380/315/225 Female 5ft4in
BF:225 BY 6-14-04
Progress: 42%

Ok I love this recipe!!!!!!!! How can melted cheese taste so good!..I used shredded colby jack and block american. The shredded colby jack was awesome!!!! The american got real thin and browned a lil too much but it still ate pretty good!!!!