Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Oct-02-02, 08:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/147/130 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 32%
Smile Had to share this...

This is my first real post - I just had to let everyone know what I've been doing for years now. This is about as easy as it gets.

I take one slice of individually wrapped American cheese, break it in half, place it lengthwise on the wrapper and nuke for about a minute.

My 10 year old loves making these for himself and the whole family. And there is no clean up!

Hope this helps someone!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Sat, Oct-05-02, 14:05

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%
Thumbs up

Aren't these the best. I've been doing like you, kmyers, for years. But until today I never thought about stacking things on them... or even using them as a tortilla of sorts.

What about making two and using as a "bun" for a burger?

I can't wait to experiment!!!
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 18:34

Plan: Atkins web site
Stats: 138/128/124
BF:
Progress: 71%

Shredded parm with cheddar. Add a bit of cayenne and you have hot cheez nips.

YUM
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Oct-18-02, 19:10

Plan: Protein Power (more or less)
Stats: 285/231/200 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default ajo

Cayenne -- interesting idea!

I often chop up some fresh garlic and mix is with parm and sharp provelone. In this area Boar's Head makes a great sharp provelone -- if you haven't had the sharp prov you haven't had cheese!
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Nov-15-02, 11:06

Plan: Lchf
Stats: 340/246/170 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 55%
Thumbs up Crispy cheese bowls~

Hi all~
I do the same thing with grated gouda cheese. I use a nonstick 10 inch skillet........get it hot and put the grated cheese in the center, spreading it out a little to make a circle........cook till it is very set, brown around the edges............drain off the excess oil........lift it from the pan and drape it over an inverted bowl..........let it cool that way...........you can then fill it with salad, or whatever you like.

coursely grated parmisean sp?) works great for this too........lacey and pretty too and very yummy!
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-02, 10:19

Plan: Dr. atkins
Stats: 206/200/150
BF:
Progress:

i do my cheese crakers in the microwave. i use deli select brand (kraft). i put the cheese in whole. and use it as a bread. great with tuna and egg salad.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 21:41
Registered Member

Stats: 130/130/106
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sorry for my ignorance... but can anybody tells me what's provelone and harvati with dill???
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Nov-28-02, 22:57

BF:
Default definitions

Hi -

On a hunch I typed "cheese.com" into my browser, and sure enough, the site exists! Here are the definitions:

Provolone is an all-purpose cheese used for cooking, dessert purposes and even grating. It is traditional, creamery, stretched, curd cheese. This cheese appears in various shapes. The thin, hard rind is golden-yellow and shiny. Sometimes it is waxed. Provolne cheese can be of various types. Dolce (mild Provolne) is aged for two to three months, and it is supple and smooth with a thin waxed rind. It is generally used as a table cheese. Aged for six months to two years, it is darker with small holes and a spicy flavor.
http://cheese.com/Description.asp?Name=Provolone

Havarti is a traditional, creamery and semi-soft. It is a simple, washed-rind cheese with irregular holes throughout. There is an enriched version, with added cream which is softer and feels more luxurious in the mouth. There is also a version with caraway seeds. Havarti is named after the farm in Denmark where Hanne Nielsen first made it.
http://cheese.com/Description.asp?Name=havarti

I like havarti somewhat, but don't have it very often. Dill havarti makes me rather ill! Provelone I have all the time; it is an Italian cheese, and here in North Jersey we get a lot of good Italian food.

Hope this helps -- Cheers --
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-02, 12:25

Plan: Atkins (OWL)
Stats: 183/153/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 70%
Default Great Snack

Wow! These are great. If you use cheddar cheese, they kind of taste like the orange fish crackers.

The only problem I had was making too many one after another and my microwave shut down. It got too hot! Next time I will use the oven when I want to make a bunch!
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Dec-20-02, 19:35

Plan: atkins, changing to cad
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 5%

Hi everyone,
this is such a good idea...i got excited when i read the recipe --I didn't have any parchment paper and tried to use foil instead...THIS DID NOT WORK! but they smelled so good I tried to pry them off the foil anyway...imagine the look on my eight year old's face when she walk in on me! She joined me ( I guess the smell enticed her) and the small parts that we could eat (most stuck to the foil) were delicious...parchment paper is now on my grocery list...I like the idea of using it for bread...I was thinking of taco salad..the crispy cheese can be used instead of taco chips.

ground beef or chicken breast(chopped or shredded of course)
sour cream
salsa
shredded lettuce
cheese "crackers" for topping!
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Dec-22-02, 23:32
Registered Member

Stats: 232/208/130 Female 63"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default can we try troubleshooting this recipe?

i've been having a little trouble making it work. i think i have the right idea though.

what i get is a single melty translucent cheese pile in the center of the plate! i added some time to the microwave, and the edges DID get a bit crisp. however the middle stayed melty like pizza cheese (i am using cheddar).

i LOOOOVE those Just The CHeese snacks, but the price ($3+ for a teeny bag) is really prohibitive. so i want to really perfect this cheese baking thing!

TIA

michelle
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Dec-23-02, 08:47

BF:
Default trial and error!

Hi -- sounds like you need to keep the cheese in the microwave longer. It is difficult for us to say just how long the cheese should cook because there are too many variables: the type and quality of the cheese, the thickness of the cheese, the productivity of the microwave. So it is just a matter of trial and error -- if your cheese is too soupy cook it longer; if it burns cook is less!

Cheers --
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Dec-27-02, 10:06

Plan: Dr. atkins
Stats: 206/200/150
BF:
Progress:

you need to use freezer paper, american cheese, cut into four pieces and nuke for about 60 sec. maybe a little longer. the more peices you put on freezer paper the longer you nuke. let me know how you make out.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Jan-09-03, 19:29

Stats: 248/230/200 Male 73 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

When I went to my mom's house for Christmas, she had made something similar using cheddar, sausage, and a slice of pickled jalapeno on each one. I pretty much ate them all before the rest of the family got ahold of them, hehe.

I'm Texan, so you guys may or may not care much for pickled jalapenos. I could (and usually do) eat them on just about anything.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-03, 08:53

Stats: 160/159/125 Female 152cm
BF:
Progress: 3%
Talking awesome crackers!!

these crackers rule!! I tried making them last night and they're soooooo yummy!! Great snack idea.