Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Quick Meals & Snacks
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 20:05
Pending Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 215/145/120
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default cheese

When I go to SAM's I will see if they have it a reasonable price. I know I tried the taco bowl and love it.
Donna
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 22:43

Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

I've just gotten into the cheese crisps myself. Made a bunch tonight and my daughter loves them too ... ours tasted just like "cheese nips" crackers.

I used a mexican blend (pre-shredded) ... it's what I had in the draw ... placed a bit around the outside of a dinner plate and nuked for 3 minutes. I left the middle free for two reasons ... 1) because the microwave just doesn't get the middle of the plate at the same rate as the rest, and 2) because the oil from the cheese runs off into the middle while it's nuking.

When it's done, I have a ring of crispy cheese. I just tear it apart and eat ... yummy! I've been craving some salty TV food ... and this hit the spot.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 17:08
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/blend
Stats: 250/210/150
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default great idea

the edge of a plate makes good sense. I have never been able to master the microwave. do you use any kind of special plate? that's a cool idea about getting the grease out of your way. in the skillet I have had better luck with the fresh shredded, is the pre shredded the same? it would be nice to save on grating time. also with the parmesan I use the itty bitty muffin tins, and shape it to that size then fill with tuna salads and egg salads and cream cheese dips for party trays..its a lot of work, but makes a nice presentation for finger foods.
Jane
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 17:17

Stats: 292/271/160
BF:
Progress: 16%

Cool ... I like the party tray idea! I can imagine one filled with crab salad ... yum! Do you shape the cheese over the outside of the small muffin tins, then?

I used the store shredded cheese, because that's what I had, and I'm essentially a lazy cook.

I never tried it with freshly grated ... with parmesan, though, I think you wouldn't want to use the canned stuff ... if you bought store shredded, get the good stuff.

I think I have some parmesan in the refrigerator ... I'm already planning my mid evening snack ...
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 17:40
Registered Member

BF:
Default muffin tin

yep, just size it a bit bigger than the top opening and it folds up to nearly the same size as the cup. Crab salad sounds perfect, you could set out a nice buffet style lunch with platters of those filled with cold salads and chilled wings, some low carb tortilla wraps and veggies. maybe a chilled summer soup? wow, I wonder if you could make and freeze them to pop full at the last minute? I have not thought of that before. hmmm
for doing it inside the cup, I press home made corned beef around the sides, or sometimes bacon, beat up a couple of eggs, add some shredded cheese and fill by tablespoons into the tin. bake till done to liking. might work for cold luncheon too?? Oh, yeah..life is good in low carb land!!
Jane
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 18:55
TerrieP

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Cheddar Do

I just made a cheddar crisp and wrapped a hot dog (not fillers 100% beef of course) in it.

YUM
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 20:16
Pending Member

BF:
Default Hello everyone

What great ideas Jane I was wondering to you bake the cheese in the muffins tins. If so what is the temperature.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 17:25
Registered Member

BF:
Default chips sort of..

I do a couple of different things. I sprinkle enough shredded parm or romano to just cover the bottom of the tin, and it spreads out and I get perfect little chips, (when I want to be all fancy). Or if I want to do more symetrical shells I press it mixed with a bit of egg to the sides, these I usually fill with something I bake, like taco seasoned meat, or chicken and ricotta, its a good way to get a portion controlled size.
Jane
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Feb-13-02, 18:48
Pending Member

BF:

Thank Jane, I will give it a try.
Donna
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 12:29
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Cool Had to share this

At my store, Shop and Save in New England, USA, they have cubed cheese. Its like Pillsbury Doughboy stuff! All you do is pick what cheese you want. I picked Colby/Jack cubes and placed them on aluminum foil on a cookie sheet, spaced about an inch away from each other. Bake for a few minutes at 400 degrees till all bubbly, 12 round crisps! So fast so easy! Great for dips and to crumble on a taco salad! Yummy!
I've tried Mexican Jack, Gouda, Swiss, and Havana. I also make parmasian crisps but this is easy by far.
I also get blocks of cheese and cube it myself and keep in the frig.

Bad new for me though. I can't eat as much dairy anymore so I have to be careful.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 13:04
Registered Member

BF:

you know, I have those cubes and it never once dawned on me to bake them. do they have a lot of oil? I know the blocks do, I am going to try the cubes for sure. I use 350, I bet 400 would make them crispier, thanks for the tip
Jane
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 14:25

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 285/234/160
BF:
Progress: 41%

Here's a link to a very detailed page by Barbara Pollack of Expert Foods (who, I think, first came up with the idea a few years back). http://shop.store.yahoo.com/lczone/cheesecrisps.html

In Canada, the processed cheese that seems to work best is Kraft Extra Cheddar, which also has a lower carb count than most other plastic cheeses. If you cut a slice into thirds and thirds again, you get a nice little chip that is wonderful with a mixture of sour cream and salsa.

As for baking parchment, I recently found No-name baking parchment in Loblaws, so it's getting easier to find.

Susan
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-02, 19:45
Pending Member

BF:
Default Yummy

Thank Lessara and Susan,
I went to the site and wow what you can do with cheese. I am like you Lessara I have to watch how much cheese I eat but these would be wonderful with taco salad. I wish Huntington would catch up with the times. It is very hard to find cubed cheese only around Christmas. I ask for DiVincci Syrup and they said they never heard of it before. I wish I had the money I would start my own Low carb store here in Huntington.

Well everyone have a great evening.
Donna
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 18:09
Starting Over!

Plan: Protein Power LifePlan
Stats: 182/178/150 Female 67 inches
BF:Jiggley mess
Progress: 13%
Default Crispy Cheese "Crackers" (?)

I've read about these a couple of places in this forum, but don't see it posted here, so I'm going to enter it....

You know how in the "olden days" you'd make yourself a grilled cheese sandwich and part of the cheese would ooze out onto the pan and cook a little bit... I loved those bits of cooked cheese. Well this is the same concept.

Take your favorite cheese... I used havarti with dill... and cut it up into little cubes about 1/2" x 1/2". Put some parchment paper (find it with the foil, wax paper, etc.) on a cookie sheet and place the cheese cubes about 2" apart on the paper. Heat the oven to 425 and let the cheese melt until it gets bubbly. Remove it from oven just before it starts browning, about 12 mins. Let them cool and then drain on paper towels to soak up the extra fat. Comes out like a crunchy cheese cracker of sorts. They can be stored in a ziploc and make great snacks to take to work or wherever!!

My DH is gonna LOVE these!!
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Aug-09-02, 21:34

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 185/173/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 34%

OMG Teri, I just made them and they are soooooooo good....one problem, I can't stop eating them. Did I say....they are soooooo good. Thanks for posting.