Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 16:00
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Talking

This is so interesting (and exciting) to hear about all of your coconut results. That latte is such a great idea!
I had been fantasizing with my sister this weekend about making coconut milk+chocolate icecream, pudding, I had a chocolate protein shake yesterday with the milk in it. YUM!
I will buy a thermometer soon and start testing, I haven't been able to find one the last 4 times I've been shopping.

Keep up the posts, I love to hear about this!
Meg
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 17:34

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by fridayeyes
FYI - one can buy Coconut MILK in cans in the ethnic (Thai) section of the supermarket. I am not 100% certain it's the same stuff, but in 1/2 cup has 180 cals, 170 from fat, 17 g fat, 12 saturated, 2 g carbs. Label warns it will solidify if refrigerated. Betcha it's the same stuff.

I will be trying some tomorrow.

Cheers,

Friday

OK< so real Coconut Oil will have like 14g fat, 12.5 saturated fat per serving (notice the HIGH saturated fat). So yours has a little but below this ratio, so I suppose it is like 90% pure, so more or less the same exact thing, just a little bit less 'pure' (did I just sound like a drug dealer?). But you are right it you other post about coconut oil sold at health stores being 'hella expensive'

Quote:
Originally posted by fridayeyes
I think I've just found the newest thing to have in my coffee and shakes! The milk is liquid, unlike the oil, and it's not bad straight. I have a feeling we're just getting cheap MCTs, but hey, it beats heck out of the $14 bucks I saw on the 16 oz bottle of MCT oil at the grocery store. The coconut milk ranges from a buck to 2 bucks for a 13.5 oz can.

Did you look at my movie theatre coconut oil link? They sell coconut oil for popcorn popping (what real movie theatres use I believe) and not for health food reasons, and it is like 1/6th the price. Look at my previous post in this thread for that link, you are right about being expensive.

PS, thanks to Zeus for the lowfat Poptars carb-up advice. This is the perfect carbup food, 80g carbs per 2 poptarts, with barley any fat, and these are good too!! The brown sugar ones make me feel happy when I eat them. I couldn't find any Entimans low fat things, everything was 'full-fat' so to speak at the store I went to.
  #63   ^
Old Sun, Jul-21-02, 20:14

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

I'll check out that link, but off the top of my head, I'd be worried about all sorts of dyes (that wierd yellow color of movie popcorn), chemicals and salt. If it's just the coconut oil, it's a great find! The gallon size might be hard to store, tho.

Cheers,

Friday
  #64   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 05:39

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%

I'm back from my week in the windy city(Chicago) so now the great coconut oil experiment continues.

So far the coconut oil is definately increasing my metabolism and energy level when I take it. Last week the only thing I took was the coconut oil and on the days when I took it my energy level was up. A few days when I forgot to take it my energy was low.

Bill
  #65   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 06:31

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

It's working for me as well. I take a dose in my am coffee and another after dinner. My AM temps are now in the 97.3-5 range - up a whole degree. My daytime temps have ranged from an almost normal 98.4 to a whopping 99.3.

I'm sold!

Friday
  #66   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 18:50
Registered Member

Hello all, I have a concern about the coconut oil.
Trainer Dan mentioned something, now I know I am probably going to get it all wrong, but it was along the lines of your temperatures are probably going up because you're burning MCT's instead of ketones, which is obviously bad for fat loss.
<smile> this is after I ordered a gallon of oil!

Does anyone know what the deal is?
Meg
  #67   ^
Old Tue, Jul-30-02, 19:42

Quote:
Originally posted by Meg_S
Hello all, I have a concern about the coconut oil.
Trainer Dan mentioned something, now I know I am probably going to get it all wrong, but it was along the lines of your temperatures are probably going up because you're burning MCT's instead of ketones, which is obviously bad for fat loss.
<smile> this is after I ordered a gallon of oil!

Does anyone know what the deal is?
Meg

NO, it's a good thing caus your body temperature being higher is a sign of an increased metabolism, which means your whole body is using more energy, kinda like when ya take ECA stack your body temp rises? As far as the calorie thing goes, its OK caus you need to get calories from somewhere....hope that covers everything
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 16:10
Registered Member

so, you're not actually burning the MCTs instead of ketones?
That was really the only thing I was worried about.

I am still pretty confused about this. Normally I would think that the body temp going up is a good thing on low carb. However, after a carb binge my temp will also soar .. and at that point it doesn't mean much to me because I am burning carbs instead of my own bodyfat. At least the stuff tastes great

Sorry if I seem so dumb about this! Eventually it will click.

Meg
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 16:52

Quote:
Originally posted by Meg_S
so, you're not actually burning the MCTs instead of ketones?
That was really the only thing I was worried about.

I am still pretty confused about this. Normally I would think that the body temp going up is a good thing on low carb. However, after a carb binge my temp will also soar .. and at that point it doesn't mean much to me because I am burning carbs instead of my own bodyfat. At least the stuff tastes great

Sorry if I seem so dumb about this! Eventually it will click.

Meg

NO, besides you have the concept of ketones wrong. Ketones are utilized by certain organs as a replacement to glycogen. Your brain cannot use fatty acids for energy, only ketones, that's why we need them. So ketones and fatty acids serve different purposes.
  #70   ^
Old Wed, Jul-31-02, 18:00

Plan: CKD/Bodyopus
Stats: 290/250/220
BF:(265)34%/29%/15%
Progress: 57%

On page 276 of BodyOpus Duchaine mentions Chromium, Vanadyl sulfate, and phenformin will hasten the descent into ketosis. He also said Cinnamon and brewers yeast will do the trick too.

Unfortunatly I didnt get my ketostix until today so I dont know how long it took me to reach ketosis.

THe people that use them, whats the earliest you have hit ketosis?
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 05:32
Registered Member

Plan: PP/now CKD
Stats: 212/132/125
BF:?%/21%/18%
Progress: 92%

Hi Beaver,

I always hit ketosis within 24 hours of the end of carb up. I don't really need the sticks to know when I'm in, though. I get that nasty, metallic taste in my mouth--it gets worse all week until carb-up comes around again!

Fernie
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 07:44

BF:

I used to hit ketosis between 24 and 36 hours before. Now I am back in it between 12 and 24 hrs since starting coconut oil. Within a few hours of taking it I get a strong metalic taste in my mouth.

It could be that since the MCFA's in the coconut oil are burned very fast that our systems are being flooded with ketones as a result. It also seems to have increased my weight loss the first few days after carbup. I dropped 5 pounds between Tuesday and Wednesday and 2 pounds between yesterday and today.

Bill
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 11:24

Plan: IN LIMBO!!!!!
Stats: 145/137/126
BF:28.3%/22%/18%
Progress: 42%
Default coconut oil

I started taking a tsp. of the stuff(X 2) in my coffee this morning, and let me tell you, there's somethin' to this. I ran a 10 doing HIIT at 7.2 mph. that's truely unheard of for me.
peace,
brenda
  #74   ^
Old Thu, Aug-01-02, 11:38

Plan: Atkins mainly
Stats: 150/148/130
BF:
Progress: 10%
Default Re: coconut oil

Quote:
Originally posted by itsjoyful
I ran a 10 doing HIIT at 7.2 mph. that's truely unheard of for me.

7.2!!...that's fast!
  #75   ^
Old Fri, Aug-02-02, 08:45

BF:

This stuff is amazing isn't it.

Did UBW last night and it was awesome.

Dropped 2 more pounds since yesterday.

Bill