Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Specific Exercise Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 20:09

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 255/206/185
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally posted by Akiwican
I remember years ago using coconut oil as sun tanning lotion {it was in paste form, but melted in the sun} sounds like the same stuff.

So if I get a craving for a chocolate bar a Bounty Bar would be a good choice eh!

Yep! its probably the same stuff. I got it at a health food store. It says it's 100% coconut oil with no additives.

A mounds or almond joy would be good also.

Bill
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 20:11

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Re: My own little experiment

Quote:
Originally posted by Akiwican
So what were the results of your little experiment Nat Did you buy the coconut oil today after you saw this post? If so where

Les, afternoon experiment was non-conclusive. 99.1 before coconut oil, 99.1 after coconut oil, 99.1 after working out (an hour after coconut oil). 99.1 is low for my afternoon reading these days - I think it's the ovulation thing

And yes, I picked it up this afternoon from work - after reading about it here and doing some searching online. I have a little health food store down the block that carries EVERYTHING, they had two kinds, the nicely packaged 700g tin for 18$ and the plain old 'coconut butter' (nothing added) in a glass jar from winnipeg for 4$. It also says 'good for use as a sunscreen' on the bottle.

Bigdaddy/bill - the way I had it explained to me was you take your waking temp (BBT, basal body temp) before getting out of bed. If 3 days running it drops below 97.8 it's a possible sign of a sluggish thyroid and consequently a lowered metabolism.

Nat
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 20:19

Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default Re: Re: Re: My own little experiment

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
99.1 is low for my afternoon reading these days - I think it's the ovulation thing

Ahhh, that'll get you every time... women get all the perks eh.

It also says 'good for use as a sunscreen' on the bottle.

SUNSCREEN! From what I remember it was like lying in a frying pan when I used to use that stuff. BTW I had to have skin cancer removed from my face when I was 25 yrs old.... no re-occurance thank goodness and I am much more careful nowdays.

Lesley
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 21:25

BF:
Smile Re: Re: Re: My own little experiment

Quote:
Originally posted by Natrushka
Bigdaddy/bill - the way I had it explained to me was you take your waking temp (BBT, basal body temp) before getting out of bed. If 3 days running it drops below 97.8 it's a possible sign of a sluggish thyroid and consequently a lowered metabolism.

Actually we are both partially correct.

here's the scoop from Dr. Wilsons Website

Excerpt:

For these reasons Dr. Wilson recommends measuring the temperatures

By mouth with a thermometer
Every 3 hours
3 times a day, starting 3 hours after waking
For several days (not the 3 days prior to the period in women since its higher then) for diagnosis.
Every day during treatment.
Here is a convenient temperature log you can print out and use to record your temperatures.

For each day, add the 3 temperatures together and divide by 3 to get the average.

If your temperature consistently averages below 98.6 then you may be suffering from Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome.

#35   ^
Old Wed, Jul-17-02, 22:37

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10

Quote:
Originally posted by BigDaddy32

http://www.coconut-info.com/weight-loss.htm

OK, so let me get this strait. MCFA ar good for us, they raise metabolism, and are not likely to be stored as fat. Polyunsaturated fats are the enemy so to speak, since they depress thyroid activity. Coconut oil contains the most concentrated natural source of MCFA available, so this is why it is good to eat.

My question: What other foods are also good for this effect? Like cocunut oilk is #1, but what are 2-5, say. Also, are saturated fats also converted into energy quickly cau's I think the article mentioned something about this. K, still a littel confuscious. THX anyone who knows

I already did some research. Cheddar cheese, cream cheese, heavy creamall have high saturated fats, and almost non-existent polyunsaturated fat. BUt I am still confised. Are poly-fats the enemy? But what about mono-fats.......are they good or bad?

Last edited by cmorera : Wed, Jul-17-02 at 23:12.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 02:12

Plan: atkins maybe body opus
Stats: 195/190/175
BF:
Progress: 25%

SO IT WILL BE AGOOD IDEA TO TAKE A BIG SPOON OF COCONUT OIL MORNING AFTER CARB UP?
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 02:45

Plan: atkins maybe body opus
Stats: 195/190/175
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default steak in coconut oil?

SHOULD I FRIED A STEAK OR PEACE OF MEAT IN COCONUT OIL??

WHAT ABOUT HAVING A SPOON BEFORE EVERY MEAL?

IM I GETTING TOO CRAZY?
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 05:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally posted by cmorera
My question: What other foods are also good for this effect? Like cocunut oilk is #1, but what are 2-5, say. Also, are saturated fats also converted into energy quickly cau's I think the article mentioned something about this. K, still a littel confuscious. THX anyone who knows

I already did some research. Cheddar cheese, cream cheese, heavy creamall have high saturated fats, and almost non-existent polyunsaturated fat. BUt I am still confised. Are poly-fats the enemy? But what about mono-fats.......are they good or bad?

From what I've read Saturated fats and trans fats have always been the enemy. Coconut oil seems to be an exception to that. Mono saturated fats are supposed to be good for you. Olive oil is high in mono fats. Flax oil is good for you and it is higher in polyunsaturated fats.

Quote:
Originally posted by badboy
SO IT WILL BE AGOOD IDEA TO TAKE A BIG SPOON OF COCONUT OIL MORNING AFTER CARB UP?

This seems to be the case. Maybe the first few days after to help get things going.

Quote:
Originally posted by badboy
SHOULD I FRIED A STEAK OR PEACE OF MEAT IN COCONUT OIL??

WHAT ABOUT HAVING A SPOON BEFORE EVERY MEAL?

IM I GETTING TOO CRAZY?

Pan frying at a low temp is probably ok from what I've read but dont deep fry at high heat. One article I read said 2 tblsp per day another said 3 to 4 tblsp per day.

Bill
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 05:47

BF:

Here is some interesting results from the good ol cholesterol test meter.

Mondays readings were
chol - 201
trig - 158
hdl - 44
ldl - 126
keytones - 5.8

Todays readings are
chol - 168
trig - 160
hdl - 50
ldl - 86
keytones - 7.2

This mornings waking temp was 96.7.

My experiment for the day is to try butter instead of coconut oil to see if I get the same effect. Everything else is the same. 2 cups of warm coffee and 3 thyrolean capsules.

30 minutes after butter coffee and thyroleans my temp is 97.2
I definatley dont seem to have the same energy boost as the past few mornings. I'll check back in after my 3 mile trek on the treadmill.

Bill
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 06:56

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Default good fats and bad fats

The only truly 'bad' fat is the trans fat - everything else is not, but has the potential to be. It's all in how they are manufactured and handled (including how we handle them).

That being said, too much of a good thing does not make a better thing. The underlying problem that is being perceived with polyunsaturates has to do with the prevalence of them in our 'modern healthy diet' - we've replaced just about every other fat with poly's, because we've been told how healthy they are. Scientists believe this has been partially responsible for the skewed shift in omega ratios now found in most of us (20:1 - n6 to n3) and the increase in certain diseases (heart disease, high blood pressure etc).

Bottom line seems to be moderation. Avoid the nasty trans fats, don't fry with anything other than butter or extra virgin olive oil, don't deep fry, period and eat your coconut oil and your nuts

Nat
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 08:52

BF:

Cardio was a little more difficult this morning. I didn't seem to have as much pepp. Temp after cardio was 98. my 9:30am temp was 97.9.

Maybe my metabolism is still in high gear from the few days of jet fuel supplementation . I will not take any more coconut oil this week and see if my metabolism slows back down.

Bill
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 15:07

BF:
Unhappy

Definately feeling sluggish today. Even a mild headache.

sigh! Coconut oil withdrawal.

Temp at 12:00pm was 98.1

Temp now is 98.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 16:40

BF:

Temp has dropped to 97 at 5:30pm.

There is definately something going on with this coconut oil.

Man I sure have been dragging ass today without it

Tired,
Bill
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 17:22

Plan: No Grain Diet www.mercola
Stats: 181/173/173 Male 72"
BF:18/12/10

Quote:
Originally posted by billw
Temp has dropped to 97 at 5:30pm.

There is definately something going on with this coconut oil.

Man I sure have been dragging ass today without it

Tired,
Bill

Cocunut Oil withdrawl!!! The plot thickens....so now I am defenitely confused.

I went to Henry MArketplace. and the lady tried to sell me this cocunut stuff, it said rub on skin on the label. I looked and there was no nutritional label, the lady didn't seem to know anythig about this product either. So of course, I didn't buy it, caus it wasn't mean for ingestion. SO I guess if I want some I will have to order some off the internet, I still have yet to try Whole Foods, however.

Anyways, I was reading in I think that cocunut artice that saturated fats have fewer bonds than polyunsaturaed fats, like there are no double bonds between the carbon atoms. And poly's have the most double bonds (And maybe triple) so they are most likely to be stored as fat themselves, while sarurated fats are more likely to be used for energy quickly.

OK, that's it.
Cheers all
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Jul-18-02, 17:31

Plan: keto
Stats: 155/137/130
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hey man I would also reccomend taking in about 900 mg of Alpha Lipoic (not Linoeic) Acid before the carbup meal. I take 3 capsules before breakfast and I can get into ketosis way quicker then without. I bought mine from www.sknutrition.com you should check it out.