Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Thu, Mar-13-03, 12:06
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Question How much?

I just got my quart of solid Coconut oil from Tropical and my question is this: How much do we need to have of it
and What do you do with solid oil? Its hard to eat that way,
Ideas? I don't eat eggs or have an oven. Help?
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-03, 15:34
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%
Post Update

Talk about neccessity is the mother of inventions.
Here's what I found to do with coconut oil to consume it:
1. Melt 2 tablespoons of oil in a cup, add two tablespoons of low carb peanut butter. And its easy to eat, err drink.. depending on how warm it is. Tasty and for me its 3 carbs.
2. Fish tastes delicious cooked in coconut oil! It was great.
3. Instead of oil I used melted coconut oil and the dressing was even better... just got to use it quick although if you store it in a plastic bag (like for work) it melts in the palm of your hand (still in the bag of course)

Any one with other ideas.
Oh one bad idea, Don't put in your tea. I had a whole cup of coconut fatty oily tea to drink. Never again!
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-03, 13:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/159/145 Female 63 inches
BF:40%/39%/low
Progress: 68%
Default So...

do you get any thyroid benefit from Coconut MILK??
I have it often in my Protein Shake.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, May-01-03, 20:47

Plan: low carb
Stats: 324/228/180 Female 5feet 6inches
BF:47%
Progress: 67%
Default Whoa!

I guess I'm going to have to go to the bodega (latin grocery store) and get some more coco oil. I use it on my hair and skin in the summer, but never thought to fry in it! It works wonders on the hair and skin. Now I find out it is good to ingest it. Who would of thunk it. Read a lot of the info at different sites ( just search the benefits of coconut oil) and it seems amazing. This is why I come to this site. A wealth of info. Thanks.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 01:51

Stats: 155/134.8/115 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Oh My! I wish I had found out about coconut oil months ago! I started taking it about 2 weeks ago, and broke a stall that I have been in for MONTHS! In December I overindulged and my weight went from 126 to 132. Then it would fluctuate from 132 to 138, I would keep coming back to 132, but could not budge from there. One bite over the line and back up the next morning. Plus the feelings of being oh so tired, cold, depressed..... I hit 129.5 this morning, and I know it is from the edge from taking the coconut oil. I take about 3-4T over the course of the day. Carbs are under 20. And while I don't have the energy level to run a marathon, I no longer feel like a slug! And something I did notice was unusual, I wasn't cold. Didn't think about it until my daughter was saying she was cold, and I felt fine. It has always been the other way around. So the stuff is working for me!
  #66   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 11:40
Registered Member

Plan: ATkins
Stats: 159/159.6/125
BF:
Progress: -2%

Does Pure canned coconut milk have the same benefits as the oil? Should we just use the thick cream and not the water part of the milk?
How much should we use of the cream?
How long will it keep in the fridge in a covered bowl like tupperware?
  #67   ^
Old Mon, May-26-03, 16:17

BF:

No, I don't think so. Check out these links for info:

http://thyroid.about.com/gi/dynamic...ight%2Dloss.htm

http://www.coconutoil-online.com/guide.html

I don't understand the entire science of it, but it has to do with coconut oil being a MCT type of oil, and our bodies process it differntly than LCT types of oil.

But like butter and skim milk come from the same product, whole milk, we get different benifits from the butter and skim milk, they are not interchangeable. Both are healthy foods, just different.

Happy reading!
  #68   ^
Old Fri, Jun-06-03, 19:02
ArtificiallyFlavored

Stats: 260/252/200 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 13%
Default Wow...

First let me say that auto immune problems AND hypothyroidism run in my family. My mother is hypoT, and diagnosed with fibromyagia, I am hypoT and have most of the fibro symptoms, my Grandmother on my moms side has awful arthritis like syptoms, my Grandmother on my dads side died at 40 from MS (which also has autoimmune links I believe)...

I've always felt like a auto immune time bomb waiting to go off. I have been on Synthroid for years, but I've always felt it was way under treated even though I have the lab work done every 6 months and it says it is ok. (HA! wait till next time I'm gonna demand thyroid antibody testing!) I've had the ANA testing done before and it was borderline enough that with the symptoms I was having my Doctor ordered a CAT scan to rule out MS, but of course you can't really rule it out, you can just say "well, we don't see anything yet".

Since I have been doing Atkins, I've been trying to take a more active roll in my health and improve it across the board... so tonight, I go out in search of some coconut oil... I will let you know how it goes in a few weeks. (I also have a very low body temp, even when I had a horrible UTI, my "fever" was only 97 degrees, which could be why I couldn't fight the darn thing so well)

I'm so glad I found this site!!!
  #69   ^
Old Wed, Jun-11-03, 14:27
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

From www.spectrumnaturals.com

"There’s some evidence that vegetable saturates (coconut oil, palm oil) behave differently in the body than animal saturates (butter, animal fat in meat). Lauric, caprylic and palmitic acids -- all of which are vegetable saturates -- are being extensively studied. More research will be necessary before conclusions can be drawn. For now, Spectrum recommends limiting consumption of all types of saturated fats."
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Jun-19-03, 20:43
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Default coconut oil

I'm new to the boards,and I'm new to the coconut oil thing as well. I read the article in Woman's World, and after much searching was able to find a site that wasn't backlogged with orders. I got mine through organickingdom.com. It's been a few days, and I've begun to notice some changes. I'm off my "plateau" and am losing again, and I do feel warmer.

Aside from making my low-carb muffins with it, I've been "hiding" it in my low-carb hot cereal in the morning.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 22:02

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 225/208/150
BF:
Progress: 23%
Question coconut oil

I just read about coconut oil. Where do you get it? Would like to know if it helps weight loss. Please keep me updated on your experience.
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 22:06

BF:
Exclamation plateau help

Thanks for the info about coconut oil. I was a little skeptic about taking it. I definitely need help moving from this plateau. Does it raise your blood pressure? Is that what the warm sensation is? Any more information would be great.
  #73   ^
Old Thu, Jun-26-03, 22:14

BF:
Talking excited about the boards

I just found this website. I'm very excited to know there are so many others going through this weight thing! I can tell a lot of you have success stories and I can't wait to read them all. I did the Atkins diet once before and dropped 40 lbs in 3 months! I was so excited! BUT, then i went back to regular eating and gained it all back PLUS much more! I will never go off again, but this time I am losing soooo slow and I am learning I have hypothyroidism. I'm have already learned tips from this site. I look forward to reading this daily! I was getting depressed because I had not lost any weight for 2 weeks, but I think this site will give me new motivation. I have lost 17 pounds since 4/20/03 but have 58 lbs to get to my real goal. Sounds impossible at this point! Any tips from you successful losers!
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Jun-27-03, 19:45
Fully Caffeinated

Plan: Back to Atkins
Stats: 298/228/160 Female 5ft9in
BF:?/35/?
Progress: 51%
Angry Nothing Yet

It's been over two weeks now, and no changes to the weight, although I do feel warmer, and not so sluggish. I bought two BIG jars, so I'm commited to it until they're used up,anyway.

I'm just sulking because the article I read gave such glowing testimonials... (I know, I know!!)
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Jun-28-03, 07:46

BF:
Default Re: excited about the boards

Quote:
Originally posted by LETMEOUT
I just found this website. I'm very excited to know there are so many others going through this weight thing! I can tell a lot of you have success stories and I can't wait to read them all. I did the Atkins diet once before and dropped 40 lbs in 3 months! I was so excited! BUT, then i went back to regular eating and gained it all back PLUS much more! I will never go off again, but this time I am losing soooo slow and I am learning I have hypothyroidism. I'm have already learned tips from this site. I look forward to reading this daily! I was getting depressed because I had not lost any weight for 2 weeks, but I think this site will give me new motivation. I have lost 17 pounds since 4/20/03 but have 58 lbs to get to my real goal. Sounds impossible at this point! Any tips from you successful losers!

First, nothing is impossible! Just set realistic goals and enjoy the ride getting there! And that was funny, "successful losers", I like that. Used to think of myself as a loser before finding out about low-carbing, now I LIKE being a loser!!! All in how you look at it.