Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 14:22

Plan: Atkins Diet
Stats: 200/184/160 Male 72inches
BF:
Progress: 40%
Default RE:Coconut Oil

I use coconut oil on my ceaser salad.
I mix olive oil with garlic, macadamia nut butter, ceaser dressing and coconut oil to taste. I don't use exact measerments everytime so its always a bit different and I like it.
I don't have any yeast related problems so the ceaser dressing works for me.
Hope this helps...Ron L
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 20:10

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 271/162/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 83%
Default It's Working..

I think... I just took my temp and it was 98.5.. Wow that's a first.. all day yesterday it was in the 97's... horray............. was too busy to take it today...

So coconut oil, it's for me,..............
I did a search on low body temps and I found a site on Wilsons Thyroid Syndrome and it sure sounds like mel... Am going to check this out in depth...

Happy Friday....
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Feb-03-03, 14:38

Plan: Schwarzbien Newbie
Stats: 146/141/120
BF:shrinking
Progress: 19%
Default Hi!

Hi, everyone! I just read all the posts, and was convinced to try the coconut oil. I found it very easily at Whole Foods Market. Here is my question - how much should I take a day? Yesterday and today I took one tablespoon, just straight out of the jar. It is good, but then, I like to eat butter straight. I am hoping for a kick start to my metabolism, as my thyroid has me totally stalled.

Thanks for any info, by the way, alot of you were talking about amino acids. I swear by them, they haven't helped my thyroid, to my knowledge, but they completely cured my allergies. I would highly recommend the book "The Amino Revolution" By Robert Erdmann, PHD. It is a great book, easy to read and has helped me and numerous friends and relatives. I was on Allegra, the allergy eyedrops, and Nasonex, and getting shots. Three months on aminos, and I dropped all of those meds.

Have a great day!!

-Jess
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 16:22

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 220/216/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 6%
Default coconut oil

Thank you for this good info. I have been Hypo for 5 years. I have also been overweight for 8 years. I gained 40 lbs over a 3 year period before I figured out I was hypo. I have been on Synthroid ever since but the weight has not dropped off. It is such hard work to get it off. And a very slow process. Plus I have been having a very hard time getting my thyroid regulated. They usually have to change my dosage every 6 months or so and the symptoms have never totally gone away (hair loss, fatigue etc) I bought some coconut oil today at my local heath food store and am praying it works. I am getting desperate as I have been in a stall for over a month and my weight loss is very very slow.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 16:40

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 133.5/124/118
BF:
Progress: 61%

Most of the information I've read on the net say that you need to have virgin, unrefined coconut oil to get the thyroid benefits. And that refined coconut oil has no taste.

I'll be interested to see your results from the tasteless stuff. The virgin, unrefined stuff I got from tropicaltraditions.com is spendy, but I'm happy with the results. I can definitely tell by charting my temps when I don't get my coconut oil. I've been charting waking temps for natural family planning, so I have a baseline to work from, pre-coconut oil. A few days ago my waking temp dropped to 97.3 at a point in my cycle that it doesn't normally drop. I hadn't seen a temp that low in weeks. Made me stop & think. Sure enough, I'd missed coconut oil for 2 days.

Please post back on whether you get the same results from the cheaper, refined stuff. I do not relish spending money where I don't have to!
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 17:46

Default brand of oil

Hi! I bought Spectrum Naturals coconut oil, it says it is expeller pressed unrefined coconut oil. It smells like coconut, and has a slight coconut taste, and looks like crisco. Is this stuff okay? It was $4.00 at Whole Foods Market. How much should one take of this a day?

Thanks!!!!!

-Jess
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 20:11

BF:
Default Hi All...

I like Hound got the one from TropicalTraditions... and I like it a lot.. I bought the Spectrum form our health food store, but it's more for the skina nd hair... and it does work when I take it... been so busy at work that I've had a hard time taking it there... like today.. I am drinking it right now in a protein shake that I heated in the microwave...

Hound, I posted the results from the doctor on one of these threads, just don't remember where...she said I probably have a thyroid problem, but because my blood work comes back ok, she can't do anything to help me without getting into trouble... so I am on my own....grrrrrrr
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Feb-04-03, 20:35

BF:
Default Amount

I forgot to post the amount to use ... I bought the book... The Healing Miracles of Coconut Oil... and in there it suggests 3½ Tbs per day... some may not need that much... I do....
  #54   ^
Old Wed, Feb-05-03, 10:39
Registered Member

Plan: Carb Addicts & WW
Stats: 150/127/132
BF:
Progress: 128%

Steffie,

I just got my coconut oil in the mail yesterday, and I'm hopeful it will help me, too. I am curious, since you are on Synthroid and hypo and still having symptoms of hypo [weight issues] have you ever considered your T3 levels? T3 is the hormone in your thyroid gland that controls energy levels & metabolism, and there is no T3 in Synthroid. That is an area for you to possibly consider. My mom was on Synthroid for 20 years, and when she started a T3 replacement medication she's lost 33 pounds in the past 6 months.

I am looking forward to finding ways to use my coconut oil . . . I've seen some ideas posted here, and will try and use them. The Caesar Salad idea is very interesting - I'm gonna have that for lunch tomorrow and see how it is.

In the meantime, if anyone has any good ideas on how I can use it, I'm all ears!

Margie :-)
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-03, 20:22

BF:
Default No Weight Loss...

Since starting the coconut oil... it does help my temps come up, but that is all... This past weekend I bought me some Bladderwrack and am trying this to see if this will help... I'm getting desperate....
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Feb-23-03, 09:25

Plan: not sure
Stats: 198/189/145
BF:
Progress: 17%
Unhappy coconut oil...I hate the taste...

From reading all the responses, I can clearly see that I am the only one who can't stand the taste of the stuff. No matter how I tried to get it ingested, it has a heavy aftertaste and just overpowers everything I mix it with. I really hate the taste and can't even choke it down. I hope it works for the rest of you
Fern
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 08:41
Registered Member

Stats: 240/206.5/165 Female 67 inches
BF:50%/43.0/23%
Progress: 45%
Wink

Hi fernvalley...I don't like the taste either for the same reasons. BUT after only 3 days I notice a big difference in my energy and overall "peppiness" within 15 minutes of taking it. So, I liquify and have my diet coke on the ready...shoot the oil and chase it with some diet coke. But I'm considering putting it in some lc coco?? Gotta find something because it works for me but the taste is horrendous ... might be due to the fact that I don't like COCONUT to begin with!!!

My question...if I were to cook my eggs in it..does all the oil get into the eggs??

And I meant to ask jessea...the jar you bought at Whole Foods...was it in the supplement section or the oil section...I foundm y jar in the oil section....

Last edited by giggle4fun : Wed, Mar-05-03 at 08:42.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Mar-05-03, 11:20

Hi! The coconut oil I got was at Whole Foods in the oil section, by the sesame oil, and the other cooking oils. Took me awhile to find it, I thought it would be with the supplements!

I eat it straight out of the jar, I think it's yummy! Also, I noticed another benefit from the coconut oil, it is great for stomach aches.

-Jess
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Mar-06-03, 12:40
Registered Member

Stats: 240/206.5/165 Female 67 inches
BF:50%/43.0/23%
Progress: 45%
Talking

Yup! That's the one I bought too.

But I don't know how you eat it right out of the jar?!?! That's nuts to me! But...like I said...I HATE COCONUT!! BUT I tried making some hot coco (halfnhalf, cocoa, splenda) last night and put a big dolop in it. I drank it before my workout and the workout went alot quicker because I had good, even energy eventhough I worked for 9 hours yesterday!

I'm so glad it's working for me...
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Mar-10-03, 18:08
"Natural Mystic"

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 178/108/120 Female 5' 1"
BF:45%/17%/15%
Progress: 121%

Hi All! I am really interest in the Coconut Oil.

To those who have it, can you please tell me the ingredients and the calories and types of fat (nutritional breakdown) on the bottle please.

Thank you.
red