Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What thyroid med are you on and are you losing weight?
Synthroid - YES it is helping 60 23.44%
Shythroid - NO It isn't helping 70 27.34%
Armour - YES it is helping 28 10.94%
Armour - NO It isn't helping 10 3.91%
Levoxyl - YES it is helping 22 8.59%
Levoxyl - NO It isn't helping 29 11.33%
Cytomel - YES it is helping 11 4.30%
Cytomel - NO it isn't helping 4 1.56%
OTHER kind of NATURAL med that IS working (specify plz) 6 2.34%
OTHER Kind of NATURAL that isn't working 1 0.39%
Or just other that IS working (Specify please) 11 4.30%
Other that isn't working.. 4 1.56%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

#91   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 15:24
Rather Be Ballooning

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 250/196/165 Female 67"
BF:?/40.0%/26%
Progress: 64%

Are we talking about thyroid function or thyroid replacement when we are talking about fluoride, etc?
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 13:27

Plan: low glycemic
Stats: // Female jkl
BF:
Progress: 69%

Thyroid function/thyroid replacement - doesn't matter. Fluoride/chlorine interfere with proper absorption and function of the hormones regardless of whether your body is making them or they come from a pill.

Cheers,

Friday the Tealess (sniff!)

(Ok, possibly if you grow your own tea on distilled water and brew it with distilled you could have it, but alas - I won't be touching the stuff until I'm well-medicated for a long time, and then sparingly)
  #93   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 13:34
Rather Be Ballooning

Quote:
Fluoride/chlorine interfere with proper absorption and function of the hormones

"older medical articles revealed that fluoride was once used as an anti-thyroid medicine, prescribed by doctors in hospitals and clinics. It was used to slow down an overactive thyroid. In addition, it was also effective in slowing down a normal or already-sluggish hypothyroid gland. For instance, in the Journal of Clinical Endocrinology, Volume 18, 1958, page 1102, Drs. Galetti and Goyer explain the "Effect of Fluorine in Thyroidal Iodine Metabolism in Hyperthyroidism"."

- http://www.thyroid-info.com/articles/shamesfluoride.htm

"Fluoride had been used for decades as an effective anti-thyroid medication to treat hyperthyroidism and was frequently used at levels below the current "optimal" intake of 1 mg/day. This is due to the ability of fluoride to mimic the action of thyrotropin (TSH)."

"Fluoride and iodine, both being members of the halogens group of atoms, have an antagonistic relationship. When there is excess of fluoride in the body it can interfere with the function of the thyroid gland."

- http://thyroid.about.com/cs/toxicch.../flouride_2.htm

"Although there have been numerous studies before showing that fluorides act like TSH, the thyroid-stimulating-hormone - as seen above -, it can now be documented in deep detail, for it is known that G proteins in thyroid physiology are normally absolutely dependent on TSH and are inactive without it. TSH is the master, sometimes also referred to as the “first violinist in the orchestra”.

The TSH receptor is the only receptor known able to activate all G protein families, an activity directly imitated by fluoride. "

- http://64.177.90.157/pfpc/html/thyroid_history.html

"Karilee Shames, RN, PhD, Assistant Professor of Nursing, points out that a major environmental trigger of low thyroid is likely to be the fluoride added to municipal water supplies. Scientists believe that fluoride can depress thyroid functions with levels as low as 2. 5 mg/ day"

- http://www.healthy-communications.c...amesreport.html

For those that still have their thyroid I can see where there would be reason for concern.

For those of us that no longer have a thyroid or have a thyroid that no longer works it appears that fluoride is not a problem for our T3 &/or T4 replacements as the interferrence is with TSH.

Last edited by dstartz : Thu, Jan-13-05 at 13:51.
  #94   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 14:00
Rather Be Ballooning

"Caffeine has been shown to markedly alter...thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), and thyroid hormones in animal studies. Similar studies in the human are lacking." (Dev Pharmacol Ther 1987;10(2):73-80) Other researchers found that "chronic caffeine therapy," constituted by high levels of caffeine use over time, "stimulated both T4 and TSH; however, TRH-stimulated TSH release was decreased, suggesting that chronic therapy may blunt pituitary TSH response." (Pediatr Res 1983 Jul;17(7):592-595)."

Once again, for those with a thyroid I can see that there might be problem....
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 10:07

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 273/-/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Question Confused....

Ok..now I am a little confused about drinking tea and having hypothyroidism.

So if I understand what I have read, I should avoid drinking any kind of tea, even decaff?

I have to have a warm drink in the morning. Should I switch to decaf coffee instead?
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 11:00

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coco081392
So if I understand what I have read, I should avoid drinking any kind of tea, even decaff?

Yes, especially if you are still trying to get your dose to the optimal level. Decaf teas have tested higher for fluoride than reglar teas, so yes, even decaf.

Quote:
I have to have a warm drink in the morning. Should I switch to decaf coffee instead?

That is what I have done and what I'd recommend.

Nat
  #97   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 15:55

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 273/-/180 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 27%
Smile Thanks Nat

Thank you so very much for the information.

Here I thought I was doing something good dinking decaf tea instead of decaf coffee.

Oh well, Decaf Coffee here I come.

Have a good day everyone.

Toni
  #98   ^
Old Tue, Feb-01-05, 00:07
Rather Be Ballooning

This thread got me to wondering....

What Are Your Thyroid Med Levels?

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=231688

-
-
  #99   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 10:34

BF:

BTW, back to the fluoride issue, the fluoride ions hook onto the spot where iodine should go in the thyroid hormones. So, while it doesn't depress output like it would if you had a thyroid, it does hamper absorbtion and proper use. The effect is less straong that it would be if you had a thyroid, but still there. Caveat emptor.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 11:12
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

So it might effectively turn T3 into T4 again? From my understanding the T3 is the hormone with 3 iodine molecules and T4 is Thyroid hormone with 4 iodine molecules.

The caffeine thing is interesting. I think I've been trying to compensate for low thyroid all these years by drinking lots and lots of caffeine. But, if I'm reading that correctly, that would cause my TSH to stay low and T4 high, even while my T3 is low.

I think it is time to try to give up the caffeine again. *sigh*
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Mar-07-05, 11:58

BF:

No, it makes it into something that no longer fits quite right in the receptors or works quite right.

Caffiene? Taper off or give it up cold turkey, IMHO. Heart rate stuff (other thread) could also be a sigh that your adrenals are a bit stress-y over the T3, let alone adding caffiene.

IMHO, while you can be sensitive to the T3 hormone, thus 'over-reacting' a bit when your body finally gets some, you can't be truly hyper on a dose less than what your body would naturally make - which is 3-5 grains. Ergo, if you're on less than 3 grains, you pretty much can't be hyper. Poor tolerance of small doses usually points to adrenal insuffiency or a nutritional deficit, typically iron, but possibly somehting like B-12 or other Bs.

Cheers,

Friday