Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: What thyroid med are you on and are you losing weight?
Synthroid - YES it is helping 60 23.44%
Shythroid - NO It isn't helping 70 27.34%
Armour - YES it is helping 28 10.94%
Armour - NO It isn't helping 10 3.91%
Levoxyl - YES it is helping 22 8.59%
Levoxyl - NO It isn't helping 29 11.33%
Cytomel - YES it is helping 11 4.30%
Cytomel - NO it isn't helping 4 1.56%
OTHER kind of NATURAL med that IS working (specify plz) 6 2.34%
OTHER Kind of NATURAL that isn't working 1 0.39%
Or just other that IS working (Specify please) 11 4.30%
Other that isn't working.. 4 1.56%
Voters: 256. You may not vote on this poll

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jul-13-03, 23:06
Registered Member

Plan: Aitken/pp
Stats: 204/200/166 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 11%

Taking Oroxine 200micro grams daily and it is great
If I miss I get really tired and even more sluggish though.
Have been doing this since 1989.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jul-14-03, 19:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 172/133/120 Female 5.325
BF:37%/25%/19%
Progress: 75%

Wow, am I glad I came across this site and this thread! I just got back from the doctor today--went for a prescription for Flonaise and to check a white spot on my tongue, but came home with a prescription for Amour Thyroid and Nystatin. Doc actually spent an hour with me and listened to my symptoms. We are unsure if I have Candida Albicans (which is possible because I've had 7 rounds of antibiotics and 5 of Prednisone in the last year alone for repeated sinus infections) or hypothyroid or both. I have so many of the symptoms of both! He wants me to start with the thyroid for two weeks then the Nystatin (to see which one helps). Since I haven't started it yet (will tomorrow morning), I don't have any specific questions, but it sure was great to read some of the positive posts about Armour. Thanks
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 08:33
Registered Member

Plan: Allergy Rotation (www.alcat.com)/Atkins
Stats: 280/238/166 Female 166
BF:
Progress: 37%

I started 90 mcg of T3 on July 3 and so far I have lost 15 pounds. I feel 100% and I am so glad! 10 years of trying everything except surgery!

Michele
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Jul-22-03, 23:36

Plan: carbs in daytime
Stats: 147/160/152 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress:
Default Levoxyl .05mg

First of all, I would like to express how awful this Grave's disease issue has been for me. I feel like I'm too young to have my thyroid gland taken away and then to have to take a synthetic pill for the rest of my life just adds more stress to the whole situation. Oh, and did I mention I don't have health insurance? Anyway, after I got the radioactive Iodine treatment I loved the fact that I could eat whatever I wanted. Then I started becoming more aware of my health and started eating better and now I'm going to the gym about 6 times a week. I started gaining about a pound a day when I realized I better go see the doctor. He prescribed Levoxyl and I just want to know, when the heck am I going to shed this excess fat.....when I am going to start losing weight. I am only ten pounds overweight, but I'm going to the gym and eating healthy, can somebody out there tell me what's going to happen to me and when I are my clothes going to fit again? Please. I don't like this big butt I've inherited from Grave's disease. Thanks in advice for anyone who will write back. My e-mail address is ggmoya~aol.com

Last edited by Greycita : Tue, Jul-22-03 at 23:53.
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Aug-05-03, 15:10

Stats: 240/190/180 Male 6'1 inch
BF:19 %
Progress: 83%

Great post! My thyroid went to the craper about 6 years ago. My two sisters and my Mother have had problems with being hypo all thier lives. I watch this very closely as I had never had a problem with weight gain until my thyroid went south. My sister tried a combo t3/t4 and did better than on Synthroid. I'm taking .200 of Sythroid currently, but am thinking of switching to a t3/t4 combo, just to be well rounded, and make sure I don't become physically "rounded". I think low carb diets work VERY VERY well for those of us who have endocrine disease problems, like Hypothyroid or Diabetes, or are susceptible due to hereditary. You loose your thyroid, you gain weight, you gain weight you get diabetes, see the pattern here? Identify if you have a thyroid problem or if it runs in your family, correct it if you do. My mother has both hypothyroid and is an insulin dependent diabetic, she didn’t have diabetes until she gained a bunch of weight after having kids, that’s when she found her thyroid was screwed up too. She was a virtual endocrine time bomb. Low carbs = Low insulin levels = lots of less stress on the pancreas. To me that means I have a lot less of a chance of having mine crap out, besides the fact that I’m not over weight (now), and plan on staying this way for the rest of my life.

Good Luck!
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Aug-07-03, 10:00
Registered Member

Plan: Allergy Rotation (www.alcat.com)/Atkins
Stats: 280/238/166 Female 166
BF:
Progress: 37%

I just realized I post that worng... I am taking 90 mcg 2 x a day! Sorry to anyone who read my message!

michele
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Aug-26-03, 05:54

Plan: Suzanne somers
Stats: 237/232/170 Female 5: 6 1/2
BF:47.6/47.8/
Progress: 7%

Hello,
Just thought I would post my update information. I have been on 2 grains of Armour. Started Armour 7 months ago Immedietly like within two hours my head cleared, my energy returned.
I have been LCing or somersizing for 80 days. I joined Curves 5 weeks ago. I had my first recheck at Curves yesterday. I am down 5 pounds. Finally the melt has begun. Life is good once again.

Last edited by martha 1 : Tue, Aug-26-03 at 05:55.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Oct-24-03, 17:26

Plan: Atkins cheat free
Stats: 313/167/164 Female 69 inches
BF:who knows
Progress: 98%

I've been taking 75mg of Levoxyl since I was diagnoised with Hasimoto's hypothyroid 2 weeks before I started Atkins. Every time I went for a recheck the doctor was certain he had my levels too high because i was losing so well until this past time. The tests always came back within normal range. I decided early on in my low carb WOL that I would avoid the veggies that interfer with thyroid conversion and keep my level where it was. My doctor told me it was a lifestyle decision and he would adjust it if it got out of whack, but I just didn't want to fool with it. I'm planning to make some changes when I get closer to goal and add those Atkins acceptable veggies back to my life.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 15:06

Stats: 206.2/196.0/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 15%

I was on synthroid for 15 years and struggled horribly with my weight. I couldn't lose it without extreme effort. I finally go the willpower to eat low-carb and exercise, but it took me 2 YEARS to lose 30 lbs. I exercised 6 days a week and followed the sugar busters diet to the letter. It was soooo frustrating.

Recently I discovered the Wilson's Thyroid Syndrome Web site. Seven weeks ago I went to one of the doctors on the site. He told me that my thyroid wasn't being treated properly. He put me on a compounded medicine containing T4 & T3. These compounded pill (which means custom made), also had a time release agent to ensure the thyroid hormones were released steadily throughout the day.

Go forward six weeks and I visited him again. This time he had done other tests that indicated that I had adrenal fatigue. He put me on pills for that, and finally my energy levels returned to about 80% normal. That's when I got the energy to go on Atkins.

So one week ago I started Atkins. I've lost 8 lbs. this first week. This is amazing to me! I've never lost 8 lbs. in a month, let alone a week. I know a lot of it is water, but some of it is fat. And I give all the credit to my new medication. I will never go back to synthroid. I'm always going to stay on the T4/T3 combination.

By the way, Margie, I think we have the same doctor. That magazine cover is hanging on the wall in his office. :-)
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-03, 16:09
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 226/216/117
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default your new thyroid medication

I found your post of particular interest. My story mirrors yours. I have been on low carb since May/02. I lost 10 lb., but not until the week after I gave up soy products. Of course the soy is strongly suspect here as in some it even causes hypothyroidis. No loss before and non after.

I have searched out doctors who will prescribe thyroid replacement other than synthroid. I am now on Thyroid (similar to Armour in the U.S.), still no change.

I had been on it for 27 years and had gained, even while dieting. I went from 132 to 226lb, each time the TSH was low they lowered the meds and I put on weight. Their explanation was that the higher dose had kept my weight artificially low. All the while, I am eating nothing and getting bigger.

Would you consider sharing the name of the thyroid medication you are now on? Do you know which test he did for Adrenal fatigue? How did he treat this?
It is so frustrating following the diet for those highly resistant to weight loss and getting no results. The only thing that has kept me on this diet, is that when I tried to get off it, in days I was up lbs., also it has lowered my post load insulin from a number that was off the charts to normal.
That may seem like a big deal, but I would have much preferred the weight loss.
Thanks
Melanie
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Jan-27-04, 18:07

Plan: none yet
Stats: 197/160/140 Female 5' 6"
BF:I don't know
Progress:

Hi,
I just started on thyroid medication for a low TSH and they said I have Hashamotos thyroiditis. I have had this for a while but did not want to go on thyroid meds. I was also loosing weight (39 lbs in 6 months), but they still said I was hypothyroid. I cant figure it out. I am on 25mcg to start then I go in for some bloodwork in a month to adjust it. I also was drinking about 2 glasses of SILK soy milk every day, I thought it was good for me but I think it destroyed my thyroid. When I stopped drinking the milk I suddenly started loosing. I don't eat any soy now!!! That is hard to do it is in everything. I hope I don't start gaining on this medication I have read how some have.

Peggy
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 00:10

Plan: none
Stats: 160/150/140 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default re

I am on 250mcg of Synthroid. It has never helped me lose weight (I have been on it for 6 years). I think I will ask about switching to Armour.
  #58   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 16:04
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 192/179/142 Female 63
BF:no idea
Progress:
Default Synthroid user

Hi! I just joined today. I was so glad to find this website because I am becoming discouraged. The first week on Atkins, I lost a pound a day. In the last 4 weeks, I have only lost 4 more pounds.

What should I do?

I have been taking Synthroid for about 6 years. I now think maybe this medication is sabotoging my efforts to lose some weight.

Last edited by CONILUV : Fri, Feb-27-04 at 16:12. Reason: wanted to add that I take synthroid
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Apr-17-04, 13:42

Stats: 263?/199.6/150 Female 5'5"
BF:No clue
Progress:

I have been taking pure compounded T3 since October. I had been on a 5 month stall and since I have started taking the T3 I have given away 27.4 lbs. I have been diagnosed with Wilsons Thyroid Syndrome. My thyroid is making hormone, my body just doesnt use any of it.

All the typical symptoms of no/low thryoid are gone and I am once again losing weight.

Right now I am taking 30mcg twice a day (exactly 12 hours apart). Its great to finally find out what is wrong with you and have a doctor that wants to help.
  #60   ^
Old Mon, Apr-19-04, 11:18

Plan: atkins, protein power
Stats: 230/137/130 Female 5'3"
BF:29%
Progress: 93%

I have autoimmune thyroiditis, aka Hasimoto's Disease.

I take armour thyroid--5 a day, 3 in the a.m., 2 at 11.

I also take T3--a compounded script.

I have been much more successful on this--before I took .150 Levoxyl, and I lost on LC, but I am lower now than ever, and feel successful, even though I want more energy. . .

But the switch to Armour has helped the weight loss.