Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Sun, Jun-22-03, 20:36

Plan: atkins
Stats: 191/165/140 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 51%
Default Pork rinds

Can someone please tell me where I can purchase the salt and vinegar pork rinds.
Thx Chris
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Jun-23-03, 18:13

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%
Smile jewels20

Jewels-- I use the pork rinds crushed to fry my chicken. Crush them fine, dip chicken in egg wash, then in the rinds to fry. Mighty tasty and is nice and crispy. Can use it for any frying of meat!!! Aleka
  #48   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 18:48

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 239/208/135 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:don't go there!!!
Progress: 30%

Principina
You can get the salt and vinegar online at

http://www.carolinasnacks.com/pages/910914/index.htm

They are really good about getting them to you fast and they are pretty cheap-I think
Good Luck!!
Jenny
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Jun-25-03, 19:18

Plan: General low carb
Stats: 257/239/220 Female 5ft. 7 1/2in.
BF:
Progress: 49%
Smile Jewels20

Pigskin French Toast: 2 eggs, 1/4 c. heavy whipping cream,3 pkgs of splenda (I used more--4), cinnamon to taste--I used 2 tsp., 1/2 bag of 3 oz pork skins.------Mix eggs,cream,splenda and cinnamon together. Add crushed pork skins and allow to soak for 3-5 minutes. Fry in butter till brown, flip and fry till done to your liking. Serve with L.C. syrup. They are very good. The worst part is when you crush the skins--They sure stink but they taste great cooked. Aleka
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Jul-01-03, 17:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins/bernstein
Stats: 277/267/160
BF:
Progress: 9%
Default Pork rinds: I love them

Now that I am low carbing again I can eat yummy dips. I still suffer with the memory of Weight Watchers from long ago: they used to say if it is spreadable, it aint edible. Well all the spreadable stuff goes good with a pork rind, I must say.
  #51   ^
Old Wed, Jul-02-03, 13:31
<---The Crazy One!

Stats: -/-/145 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 25%

just reading these recipes makes me hungry...but is it alright to have the french toast pork rinds when you are still in induction??
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jul-18-03, 16:45

Plan: Atkins/CAD
Stats: 270/250/160 Female 5'5''
BF:
Progress:
Default Pork rinds from scratch?

Hello all,

I've been reading all about the cheap bagc of pork rinds and I'm wondering if I'm eating the "right" kind of pork rinds. See, I haven't been able to find any in my town and I took it upon myself to make them from the cured pork skin they sell at my supermarket. They're really salty and they're yummy!!! SO, the carb count would basically be the same (or even below, since there is no flavouring), right? Should I worry about all that salt (yup, am drinking double the water when I eat them!)

Thanks a bunch!
Newbie-Janice
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 08:26
Contributing Member

Plan: Protein Power (loosly)
Stats: 165/158/158 Female 5'8"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 100%

I find that pork rinds are my saving grace. I sometimes need to crunch something, and I love the taste. I also like the flavored ones. I haven't tried it yet, but I plan to put crushed pork rinds in the cream cheese pancakes next time. I love the pancakes as they are but I would like a little more substance there, they are so light and fluffy. I also like to have pork rinds with my egg in the a.m.
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Jul-20-03, 08:28
Contributing Member

Hey Princi...I live in Tennessee and it's really easy to find all kinds of Pork Rind products. I love the salt and vinagar one's also and Super Fresh has them on sale now 'buy one get one free.' Maybe you could ask your grocery store to order them for you?
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Aug-30-03, 17:30
Registered Member

Stats: 145/138/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Good news! I made a batch of "french toast" and after cooling I wrapped and froze them .Ater 6 hrs I defrosted and toasted them perfect!Their versatility knows no bounds. I plan to process a whole package of rinds and use about 1/4 cup per meal .I used 1 1/2 oz and that made 6 x2 teas pancakes oops! sorry french toast.I find 3 is enough for me.
I do not sweeten them they are more versatile that way you can add cheese to the crumbs and top with sour cream and ?? my favourite is to sprinkle with splenda , drizzle lemon juice and melted butter (very little)

Last edited by pippa26 : Sat, Aug-30-03 at 17:39.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Aug-31-03, 05:18

Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%

What a wonderful thing to know, thank you for that suggestion.

Often I may feel like having some of that wonderful French Toast but am too lazy or too much in a rush to crush up the pork rinds and wait for it to turn into a big gloopy batter.

Now here's something I just thought of ... something I used to make when my kids were small. I would make a ham & cheese sandwich sans butter and dip it in egg mixture so that it was French Toast with ham and cheese inside. I'm thinking there should be a way to make the same thing with our "mock" French toast. Could we perhaps make a ham & cheese "sandwich" using the "mock" French toast and slip a piece of ham & cheese inside then perhaps nuke it in the microwave to melt the cheese? .... Just a suggestion. I'm going to try that next week.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Sep-16-03, 20:37

Plan: The Carbohydrate Addict's
Stats: 255/225/160 Female 5 foot  4 inches
BF:
Progress: 32%
Default porkrinds

Hi ! just wanted to post my breakfast using porkrinds. I haven't seen this one yet. We don't usually have cream in the house so this morning I decided to try the porkrinds with eggs. I dumped three eggs and a half a package of porkrinds in the blender. Mushed it up good and poured it out into a bowl. It was quite thick so it took a bit of scrapping out (maybe next time I will add a little water to thin it down.) The 'pancakes ' were a bit like panfried bannock and were really quite good.
There was no waiting at all for it to be ready to spoon into the pan. I haven't had pancakes since last December (I discovered I am allergic to wheat) so I thoroughly enjoyed them.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 09:04
Registered Member

Stats: 145/138/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Maribet
what did you "put on them??Sounds like a good idea!
Pippa
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 09:18
Contributing Member

Hey Maribet, the pancakes sound great, I can't wait to try them. I always have a big supply of pork rinds in the house.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Sep-17-03, 12:04

Stats: 250/188/140 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 56%

can anyone tell me good brands to look for? I've seen about 5 in the store: shearers, granpa's, some others. I don't want to try some nasty ones. I'm already having a hard time getting myself to get them.