Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts then Atkins now trying Somersizing
Stats: 122/118/110
BF:Dont know
Progress: 33%
Red face

Actually Big C what exactly do you do to turn the pork rinds into a batter?

Stargrrl
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 16:42

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 226.6/209/154 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Talking Please help a poor Aussie chick!

Help!

These Pork Rinds sound sensational, but I have no idea what they are, I have never heard of such a product in Australia.

What are they made from? Can they be made from pork? Help! Any clues would be soooo appreciated - anything with butter, cinnamon and splenda just HAS to be tried!

BTW, there was a scathing, sarcastic little article in the biggest Sydney paper the other day from some (apparently ignorant) Aussie chickadee who's just come back from California, where she says low-carbing is a big thing. She was on about low-carbers 'deluding themselves into thinking their lifestyle is healthy,' I wanted to reach into the paper and wring her little neck. Man, I can't wait for all the low-fat evangelists to get some good old low-carb, high protein egg on their face, BIG TIME.

Any help on the pork rinds would earn my eternal gratitude.

Katt
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-29-03, 16:44

BF:
Talking Woo hoo!

I've just seen that I've 'graduated' to a 2-egg icon. What an achievement!

Katt
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 19:55

Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%

My favourite thing to do with pork rinds (besides making the Mock French Toast ... which is absolutely wonderful by the way) is to dip them into sour cream and HOT salsa. Oh drool!
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 20:05

Stats: 172/159/120 Female 4' 11
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Mock French Toast Recipe

French Toast

2 Eggs
1/4 cup heavy (whipping) cream
2 pkgs. Splenda
Cinnamon to taste
1/2 of a 3 oz. bag Pork rinds.

(1) Mix eggs, cream, sweetener and cinnamon.

(2) Crush pork rinds to a fine powder and mix with above mixture.

(3) Allow to soak until it becomes a very thick and goopy batter, this takes about 3-5 minutes. This is a very important step, it has to be gloopy

(4) Fry pancake style in butter until browned and flip over. Cook until done as you would french toast or pancakes.

Serve with any LC syrup (E.D. Smith is good, made with Splenda) or make your own as follows:

(1) Cream butter until soft (use as much as you need for syrup). I melt it in the microwave.

(2) Add maple extract and sweetener to taste.

Not my recipe ... got it from another list. This tastes better than any I've made using Atkins bake mix, almond and or soy flour.

This is really a super recipe, you would not believe it's not French Toast!
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-30-03, 21:08
Registered Member

Plan: Carbohydrate Addicts then Atkins now trying Somersizing
Stats: 122/118/110
BF:Dont know
Progress: 33%

Hey katticus!

Pork rinds are a mexican snack we call them chicharones. They have them at every minimart, gas station and grocery store here in California and probably to found all over the midwest. I can see they havent found their way down under, its awfully far . What they are is going to gross you out though they really dont taste that bad and are light and fluffy despite the fact they are fried. Basically its skin, pork skin majorly fried and lightly salted, 9 pieces has 5g fat, (2.5 saturated) 7g of protein and less than 1g of carbs. Thats why they are such a popular low carb snack. I cant eat them all day but I see that people are making some really creative recipes with them!

I have yet to try one but the pancake/french toast recipe that was just posted I'm going to try as soon as posible. Good luck locating some I wish I could help more with that, it probably wouldnt hurt to do a Google search on "buy pork rinds, chicharones" and see what comes up! Good luck
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 07:11

Plan: protien power
Stats: 260/260/170
BF:
Progress: 0%

i think i will have to buy a bag of pork rinds when i go shopping for all my low carb supplies this weekend. ^_^ hay, they're only like 99cents for a good sized bag... might as well, eh?
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-31-03, 07:17

Stats: 155/112/107 Female 5'3"
BF:?
Progress: 90%
Smile in lieu of bread crumbs

It almost sounds like you can use them in lieu of bread crumbs for breading or filling purposes. Is that true?

I was given a waffle recipe on here about a week ago that called for them so I bought them for the first time then. They were great!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-02-03, 15:15

BF:
Default Tks Stargrrl

Stargrrl, thanks for your help - will try looking for them under both names. Ideal solution is to convince my boss that he needs to send me to the USA for work so I can come home with a couple of suitcases filled with Pork Rinds & Atkins Shake!!!

Katt

Last edited by katticus : Sun, Feb-02-03 at 17:22.
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-03, 22:53
Registered Member

Plan: Mix of Atkins and Neanderthin
Stats: 240/196/175 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 68%
Default Re: Pork Rinds

Quote:
Originally posted by Big C
I LOVE "Pork Rind French Toast" - you can find the recipe on this forum. [I use maple extract instead of vanilla and add just a smidge of baking soda]

I have just started LCing and I know I am going to quickly get sick of the egg/bacon/ham breakfast. I want to try this Pork Rind French Toast as i always enjoyed eating waffles/pancakes/french toast. My question is, what can I put with it? I used to always have syrup on my waffles/pancakes or brown sugar on my french toast. Is there a low carb alternative that is readily available in a supermarket (I prefer not to buy Atkins stuff if I can avoid it)? One thing I am thinking of is a fresh strawberry or blueberry topping. What does everyone else use?

Thanks,

David
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-03, 15:40
empress of fashion

Stats: 178/161.5/145 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Pork rinds make good nachos, too. Whip up some hamburger/taco meat, throw this on a plate of pork rinds, sprinkle with cheese and nuke until melted. Serve with sour cream and salsa.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-03, 18:36
Registered Member

Plan: Meat & Eggs
Stats: 243/206.8/160 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Thumbs up

David...check in the specialty section of your supermarket. There are sugar free maple syrups. And they are delicious. I use Vermont brand and it's really good.

Paris
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Feb-22-03, 00:09

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 415/338.8/170 Female 177cm
BF:unknown
Progress: 31%

Hey Katt - check out your local Coles ... we have them down here they are in small packs in the chip aisle called Pork Krackles - they are made by Gold Medal Snacks and Coles generally stocks them, they are about $1 for a 25g pack... I've never seen the sweet ones though these ones are salted savoury ones - but do as a replacement for chips if you need them...

Oh there's a couple of threads about them in the Australia/NZ area you could read as well..

Fiona
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 16:13

Plan: My own
Stats: 258/224/185
BF:
Progress: 47%

I'm Cuban, so I'm a pork rind connoisseur (it's the number one snack for Cubans). The major-brand generic pork rinds you find in supermarkets are terrible. I don't know what they do different, but it really makes them bland and strange-tasting. Good for use in recipes, but awful for snacking.

Look for off brands at specialty stores. If they look "uneven," that is, they don't all look the same, they are probably good. Try to find a Mexican store in your area that has fresh ones. Also, Mexican or Cuban butchers will often sell fresh-made rinds.

Cubans also have a different variety of rinds; those made with some of the meat still attached. Basically a pork rind with some bacon. Mmmmmm... These are harder to find unless you're in a major latino population center like LA or NYC.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-24-03, 17:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 270/189/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 68%

hi
i didnt like pork rinds at first either,lol. but now i like them dipped into a little sour cream and salsa. they are really food with ranch dressinf/dip too. I use them as filler for meat balls and meat loaf too, and as a breadinf for chicken or pork.
linda