Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-23, 04:05

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
minimum of 100g of protein for everyone, especially seniors

2017, NY Times:

Quote:
Most American adults eat about 100 grams of protein per day, or roughly twice the recommended amount. Even on a vegan diet people can easily get 60 to 80 grams of protein throughout the day from foods like beans, legumes, nuts, broccoli and whole grains. Jul 28, 2017

I remember vegans insisting we are "poisoning ourselves" with protein. But I CANNOT easily get 60 to 80 grams of protein throughout the day from foods like beans, legumes, -instant digestive upsets - broccoli - too high in fiber-- and whole grains which are loaded with oxalate and the protein is in the gluten, which is the WORST thing I can eat.

We are fighting metric tonnes of money who don't want us to use science and/or sense and/or the signals from our own bodies.

No wonder they can't admit they have been so radically wrong for so very long. The outrage would destroy them.

Only, some of them deserve it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Oct-23-23, 15:16

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

I was really surprised to hear Dr Lyon has no problem with the use of Ozempic.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Oct-25-23, 07:00

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Forever Strong: A New, Science-Based Strategy for Aging Well

The Dr. Gabrielle Lyon Show

This special episode is a solocast for me to personally introduce to you my new book, Forever Strong: A New Science Based Strategy for Aging. I'm so excited to share it with you. It took two years and 20 years of experience to bring you the information in these pages. You cannot correct a problem if the foundation and framework for thinking of that problem is wrong. That is where muscle centric medicine was born, from a desire and need to move the needle for you to be able to take charge of your own health and wellness. In my book, I give you exactly what to do, exactly how you need to think about things, and what you need to execute. This concept of obesity pained me to the point that everything in this book, and what I talk about, is to change the trajectory of your life. To allow us all as a society to not be left floundering by flawed nutrition and exercise recommendations.

In this episode I discuss:

Training plans for everyone from beginners to experts.How to address your personal weaknesses and triggers.What is Muscle Centric Medicine and why is it so important?The ideal protein and carbohydrate balance.

Click here to listen to the podcast
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Oct-27-23, 13:09

Plan: LC
Stats: 170/129.8/125 Female 5'1.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

https://youtu.be/5WDHk8o0JPI?si=MMKLdhfrPQntla5M

At about minute 55, Dr Lyon talks about ozempic. As a binge eater I would love to have a positive experience such as she says she sees with her patients. Do the Dr's get kickbacks for prescribing?

Last edited by JeanM : Fri, Oct-27-23 at 13:26.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Nov-08-23, 05:01

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Naiman uses it, and other WL drugs, for his patients who need it and then he closely monitors them. Doubt US doctors get anything now, the drug manufacturers do not even have enough supply, but the compounding versions sold on Instagram are worrying.

The newest episode with Dr Don Layman is very good! The large serving of protein at the first meal provides Satiety…the craving killer. I thought from the title he would cover Micronutrients more, but not much, mostly still the Macros.

Quote:

How to Optimize your Nutrition:

In this episode they discuss: • How to create a balanced diet • Where does incorrect health information come from? • What is cardio metabolic health? • How you can tailor dietary protein, fats, and carbohydrates to your needs.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podca...i=1000633995392

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Nov-08-23 at 05:06.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Nov-18-23, 07:53

Demi recommended this new podcast with Dr Lyons, on The Genius Life with Max Lugavere

Quote:
Quote:

The Top Foods To Eat Every Day To BURN FAT & Build Muscle For Longevity | Dr. Gabrielle Lyon

In this episode, Dr Lyon explains why muscular health is vital to our overall health, longevity, and staving off chronic disease. She also explains the role of dietary protein in burning fat and building muscle and the paradigm shift needed in medicine to match these important discoveries. We also dig into the role of leucine in muscle protein synthesis, resistance training for older adults, supplements for longevity, and so much more.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Nov-20-23, 21:56

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Demi recommended this new podcast with Dr Lyons, on The Genius Life with Max Lugavere

Just listened to this podcast this morning. I like Dr. Lyon as she has worked closely with Don Layman who is one of the foremost authorities on protein and protein research. She refers to her approach as Muscle-centric Medicine, which is a very accurate term. As we age, maintaining and increasing muscle mass is the most critical component to prevent age-related health, mental, and physical decline. Consuming healthy whole foods emphasizing protein is key to supplying the building blocks to increase muscle mass while strengthening bones. The Genius Life podcast with Dr. Lyon is time well spent. Highly recommended.

As for a good guide on resistance training, I can’t think of a better source than Body by Science by Doug McGuff and John Little. This is one of the most practical texts for fitness based on adequate recovery time. Therefore, it’s ideally suited for any age, but especially seniors. This is no typical multi set, gym-rat oriented weight lifting recommendations. Most can devise a fitness program from this book that provides a whole body workout from one to a couple times per week, with a core group of safe exercises all done in one set each. Best book I’ve read on fitness that provides the amount of resistance training one needs with minimal time spent in the gym, and maximizing the time required for adequate recovery to grow muscle and be ready for the next workout.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-24, 08:56

YT/podcast with Dr Gabrielle Lyon was repeated today as part of Vanessa's Protein series.

Quote:
This episode is featuring Dr. Gabrielle Lyon! We talk all about her recommendations for protein, fat and carb at meals, the carb threshold, the optimal protein intake, how much fat we should eat, how women in peri and post menopause can optimize their body composition, hormone replacement therapy, her opinion on “Health At Every Size”, and MUCH more!

This was recorded back in October before Dr Lyon's book was released. Vanessa pre-recorded all of this new Protein Series to provide weekly content while she was on maternity leave. Basic explanations of Muscle Protein Synthesis, her Longevity approach, etc. https://youtu.be/yIIwayuLLzg?si=sFHFus8B5aNPjW7i
  #24   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-24, 14:05
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 339.8/272.6/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

GRB5111 -

I agree totally about Body by Science. McGuff and Little are disciplines of Arthur Jones. McGuff has You Tube videos of his workouts using some of Jones' vintage Nautilus equipment.
There are lots of parallels between Atkins and Jones being revelutionaries in their fields.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-24, 15:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdc01
GRB5111 -

I agree totally about Body by Science. McGuff and Little are disciplines of Arthur Jones. McGuff has You Tube videos of his workouts using some of Jones' vintage Nautilus equipment.
There are lots of parallels between Atkins and Jones being revelutionaries in their fields.

Good comparison, KDC. I’m flabbergasted that more don’t know about Body By Science. Who wouldn’t want to increase strength, increase muscle, and improve metabolic function in around 15-20 minutes a week? It’s a very safe routine for any age and definitely provides a very intense and effective workout. In addition, anyone at any fitness level can start slowly and realize benefits in a couple weeks. It’s not magic, and it can be done at home or in the gym. Another one who uses a similar approach is Dr. Wayne Westcott out of Quincy, MA. Here he is discussing the importance of resistance training, age, and the combination with protein to achieve muscle, bone, and metabolic health:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ITXco...ndex=10&pp=iAQB

This can be done effectively at any age. I see so many fitness “gurus” recommending multiple sets of various exercises multiple times a week. Who has time for that and wants to put up with the risk of injury that inevitably comes with chronic workouts? The benefits of this slow, one set approach are indisputable. At one workout per week, there is ample time for recovery to achieve muscle health preventing sarcopenia that comes from getting older and being sedentary.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Feb-19-24, 19:52
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 339.8/272.6/200 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

HRB5111 -
I have read Wescott's book about strength training for people over 50. He does a lot of work with nursing home residents and though I am not there yet, I am 77 years old.
BTW, he is also a follower of Arthur Jones' protocols.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Apr-16-24, 02:58

Found a Dr Gabrielle Lyon TedX talk. The Midlife Muscle Crisis: why we've gotten obesity all wrong a wake-up call for anyone yo-yo dieting, fasting longer than 24 hours, not focusing on eating adequate protein every day, esp. as we age, and of course resistance exercise! Three steps:

Resistance exercise 3 days a week, until you want to quit, then do more
Increase quality protein everyday
Reach a Protein threshold first and last meal of the day. [it may be possible for some, but not easy , to reach adequate protein in less than 2/3 meals a day]

This talk is Only 10 minutes and may save you life or at least keep you out of the nursing home.

https://youtu.be/rvHfNEX09Iw?feature=shared

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Apr-16-24 at 03:24.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-24, 03:10

From the lab of renown Protein and Exercise Researcher, Dr Stu Phillips:

The Coming of Age of Resistance Exercise as a Primary Form of Exercise for Health

Quote:

By reading this article, the health and fitness professional will learn:

• Physical activity guidelines emphasize the performance of aerobic exercise for health and often indicate that resistance exercise can be beneficial; however, emerging evidence shows that resistance exercise is often as effective as aerobic for many aspects of health.

• Resistance exercise participation can benefit several health aspects: cardiorespiratory health, vascular health, muscle oxidative capacity, mental health, muscle hypertrophy, strength, and power.

• To support clients in sticking to their program, use strategies like monitoring (you and your client keeping track of how much resistance exercise they are doing), action planning (scheduling when, where, and how they will do their resistance exercise), and highlighting the health and emotional benefits of resistance exercise that are relevant to your client.
. See chart of Reduction of Risk of cancer, all cause mortality, etc.

Dr Phillips is an engaging interview guest. Dr Lyon interviewed him about a year ago on this: Protein Truths and Myths: Does it cause Cancer and Aging? https://youtu.be/9VwXfzZwwng?feature=shared

https://journals.lww.com/acsm-healt...ise_as_a.7.aspx
Dec 2023.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-24, 14:48

BF:

Quote:
From the lab of renown Protein and Exercise Researcher, Dr Stu Phillips:

The Coming of Age of Resistance Exercise as a Primary Form of Exercise for Health

. See chart of Reduction of Risk of cancer, all cause mortality, etc.

Dr Phillips is an engaging interview guest. Dr Lyon interviewed him about a year ago on this: Protein Truths and Myths: Does it cause Cancer and Aging? https://youtu.be/9VwXfzZwwng?feature=shared

https://journals.lww.com/acsm-healt...ise_as_a.7.aspx
Dec 2023.

Phillips is a good source, and resistance to failure can easily be adopted by anyone at any age. Doug McGuff has some excellent videos on this, and he recommends the use of machines for those who may be concerned about weight training and balance.

One thing that seems to be missing from the resistance exercise benefits listed is a major benefit: vastly improved bone density. It’s better than any other supplement.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-24, 00:57

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

People didn't use to develop bones that shattered at a glance. In MIDDLE AGE.

There are cases of people in their forties, not knowing their bones are so fragile, keeping up with activities like mountain biking, and winding up with spinal injuries.

I so agree that bone density is the key to good health. And where are people getting their calcium? Not from "oat milk."