Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-23, 11:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default Bad news in soybean oil study

Quote:
Research using mice models revealed pronounced effects on the hypothalamus, a critical part of the brain that regulates body weight, temperature, stress response, reproduction, and growth.

The consumption of soybean oil was found to decrease the levels of oxytocin, also known as the “love hormone”, and affect about 100 other genes related to brain function and energy metabolism. The researchers emphasize that their findings are specific to soybean oil and do not necessarily apply to other soy products or vegetable oils.

America’s most widely consumed cooking oil causes genetic changes in the brain

Many of us avoid seed oils because of their inflammatory Omega 6 content. Being vigilant about avoiding them did wonders for my rosacea, which spurred me on to use diet to manage a more dangerous autoimmune condition. Which has been going well with a carnivore approach with a low oxalate twist.

Frankly I don't know if there are any beneficial compounds in soy. It's been wildly marketed as a wonder food" without much basis. The ancient cultures who grow it let it ferment to reduce the level of plant toxins.

But I know food manufacturers don't.

Quote:
“This could help design healthier dietary oils in the future,” said Poonamjot Deol, an assistant project scientist in Sladek’s laboratory and first author on the study. “The dogma is that saturated fat is bad and unsaturated fat is good. Soybean oil is a polyunsaturated fat, but the idea that it’s good for you is just not proven,” Sladek said. Indeed, coconut oil, which contains saturated fats, produced very few changes in the hypothalamic genes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-23, 14:59

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

There is no need to "design healthier dietary oils". Just eat natural ones!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-23, 18:57

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
There is no need to "design healthier dietary oils". Just eat natural ones!
There is more profit in designer oils!
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-23, 19:40

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

SB....fermented products support estrogen levels. The oils are a different issue: no solvent based oil is natural. They are grain based. Not natural!
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jun-18-23, 20:56
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

This one is pretty easy for me to avoid.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-23, 02:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I have not bought any processed seed oils since reading Primal Blueprint early in 2010. I’m not obsessive about avoiding every drop of it in restaurants, etc. but eating Whole Foods still has a positive effect.
My eczema completely cleared up, Vit D levels finally improved, and I do not sunburn.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-23, 03:40
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I don't trust it, either. Like Janet, I don't worry about the odd serving, but I try to keep it to a minimum. Considering what they have to do to so-called 'vegetable' oils to make them edible - extraction with hexane, deodorizing, etc - no thanks, I'll use plain oil and fat.

Similar result of being almost sunburn-proof, too.

(ETA) Something sick and weird to me about soybean oil is that it's used in TPN (total parenteral nutrition). You're already in big trouble if you're being fed intravenously... and it's soybean oil?! I thought of that when reading this thread. Lo and behold, a twitter follow who's a nutrition practitioner (S. African) just posted a link to this 2022 study: Hospital change to mixed lipid emulsion from soybean oil-based lipid emulsion for parenteral nutrition in hospitalized and critically ill adults improves outcomes: a pre–post-comparative study.

Last edited by Kristine : Mon, Jun-19-23 at 05:21.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-23, 05:20

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I used to break out in a rash on my arms every spring as I started wearing short sleeved shirts. It stopped many years ago after I started eating what I called then low carb paleo. I always figured that its having gone away was somehow caused by my dietary change. At that time I also stopped eating seed oils so maybe that's what did it. Whatever the cause I still stay away from all seed oils.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-23, 05:23

BF:

Coconut has become my goto fat and fiber source. It goes in my morning smoothie as a medium chain triglyceride which goes right into energy use. Coconut wraps make my meat and cheese a sandwich.

Real food is so much more than stuff which takes up space in one's stomach. Which is the overwhelming attitude of most people out there. And if they do think about it, PLANTS = GOOD appears in their head and that's as far as it goes. It's certainly used as a blunt tool on scientific opposition, the way the corporate press accepted the wildly overstated "danger" of farting cows.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-23, 18:54

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

The hateful 8 oils - Soy Oil is included

Canola, Corn, Cottonseed, Soy, Sunflower, Safflower, Grapeseed, and Rice Bran. I avoid these.

There are plenty of articles on this, here is one that came up with a google search https://jacksonschips.com/blogs/blo...hy-or-unhealthy

Bob
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jun-19-23, 19:57

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I remember the days when McDonald's french fries were fried in tallow!! Maybe,MAYBE, that was a better fry healthwise.

Certainly were tasty.

A rare treat.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-23, 01:39

BF:

The ultimate fry, I am told, uses duck fat.

In stark contrast, seed oils are a huge part of the health crisis, when we look at their inflammatory qualities and the cascading effects.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-20-23, 10:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Duck fat is amazingly good.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Jun-26-23, 18:30

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

My mom used to fry potatoes in bacon grease. Mmmmmmmmm.

I don't eat potatoes anymore, but if were to cook some, that's how I would want them fried.

Bob
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jun-27-23, 23:00

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

If Kellogg had known that the consumption of soybean oil decreased the levels of oxytocin, the “love hormone”, he would have told people to pour it on cereal instead of milk. Anything to decrease libido.