Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-02-23, 16:22

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Understood, and thanks for the clarifying information. Weight loss is not always consistent, and many times plateaus occur where nothing happens for a while. The mistaken idea that following Atkins, or low carb, or any way of eating that minimizes carbs and emphasizes healthy proteins and veggies enables one to always experience a productive and consistent weight loss, or the pounds just "melt away" frustrates many who have heard this. Sometimes it happens fast, most times it happens gradually, but I'll take gradually every time. Your body's metabolism adjusts at various times due to various circumstances. My rate of weight reduction was faster at first, and then slowed or hit plateaus. It's part of the experience. Keep at it, and make some adjustments after a time to see if eliminating Atkins shakes or pork rinds or coke zero completely have any impact. Just give any changes enough time for you to assess.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-23, 03:44

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kp33
So the 40 I lost I did doing the same way I’ve been eating for the past two weeks, I then got to a point where I was in maintenance mode so I added in more carbs to my diet to stay at that weight within 2lbs either way…this holiday I had a little too much fun and put on 10lbs so doing how I get to the weight I was happy with is what I’ve been doing for 2 weeks and haven’t shed a pound.

Appreciate all the info from everyone so far, I probably don’t get as much fiber as I should I will say that because if you look at what I said is my typical week I don’t have many things that have fiber probably the most is when I have an Atkins shake but again the puzzling part is this is the same way I lost the original 40.

Thanks for the info! Again, Rob has great advice that sometimes it just takes time. If we could all lose 10 pounds in 2 weeks there would be no need for this forum. And I hate to mention this but we are all three years older

After 10 frustrating years of not reaching my goal weight, I made some changes of more protein, more vegetable carbs and fiber, less fat. A simple list of foods by Dr Naiman, plus some time restricted eating, usually 16:8. Here's a post in my story with 3 simple rules. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...20&postcount=12
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-23, 08:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Something I want to add to the great advice you have been given so far. One thing that can so easily derail progress is having an unreasonable expectation. When that expectation isn't met disillusionment often follows. It wasn't unreasonable for you to expect the same weight loss results that you once achieved but our bodies do change over time and how they react to what we eat and when we eat therefore changes. Some great zen advice is to always approach things with a beginner mind. When we believe that we already have something figured out we can get stuck in old patterns that no longer work. You can lose the weight you wish to lose but its best to let go of your initial expectation of how things were going to work and open your mind to new ideas and approaches, which you already seem to be doing. It is certainly something that I have had to do and still continue to do.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-23, 08:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Something I want to add to the great advice you have been given so far. One thing that can so easily derail progress is having an unreasonable expectation. When that expectation isn't met disillusionment often follows. It wasn't unreasonable for you to expect the same weight loss results that you once achieved but our bodies do change over time and how they react to what we eat and when we eat therefore changes. Some great zen advice is to always approach things with a beginner mind. When we believe that we already have something figured out we can get stuck in old patterns that no longer work. You can lose the weight you wish to lose but its best to let go of your initial expectation of how things were going to work and open your mind to new ideas and approaches, which you already seem to be doing. It is certainly something that I have had to do and still continue to do.

This is a sticky note candidate. Well stated, and excellent advice to live by.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-03-23, 09:47

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

You can look at it as a learning experience. You've learned how to put on 10 more pounds You've learned how to eat to maintain the shape you’re in now.

Something has to change. Dropping the fat might be a good idea at this point. The now smaller body no longer requires as much in the form of fuel.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-23, 11:27
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 268/226/215 Male 6-2
BF:
Progress: 79%

Been reading that maybe adding a fiber supplement may help anyone have any experience with that I’m pretty sure I don’t get enough fiber in my diet.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-23, 12:01

I don’t have experience with fiber supplements. As mentioned before I added more carbs, all non-starchy vegetables, loaded with natural fiber.

#23   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-23, 12:30

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I don’t have experience with fiber supplements. As mentioned before I added more carbs, all non-starchy vegetables, loaded with natural fiber.

This is the best solution. Vegetables and a few berries provide me all the fiber I require. No need for anything else.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-23, 06:58
Registered Member

BF:

Could it be I’m not taking in enough fat? I figured I’m between 135-150 grams of fat per day. Is that enough?

25 grams total from eggs
1 gram total from one can of tuna
36 grams from mayo
72 grams from salad dressing

My carbs are under 25 most days under 20 as the only carbs I’ve been doing are from salad and I measure all that out and my salad is never more than 15 carbs, sometimes I throw in 8-10 oz of grilled chicken breast.

I then have 100 grams of strawberries as a snack about 5 carbs.

That’s pretty much my daily routine, I feel like I’m doing the right things but maybe not enough fats? Not sure.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-23, 08:06

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

The more we do this, the more we know basics are important, but the tweaking is even more important.

That's why it can be hard to know what to say to a person who is 75% there.

I can tell you I thought my goal was 150, even though I was stuck at 165. Then I got sick with autoimmune and went on a diet to help that (carnivore worked for me) and found out I'm really supposed to be 125.

Then I had to tweak the carnivore to manage oxalate dumping, which I'm doing now with good results. It never ends.

But as long as there's another health goal, it never does. Because are you the same person you were at your highest weight?

In so many ways, not just the number on the scale, you are not.

We don't settle on success. We recognize health is always a moving target. With health comes better body composition. And we don't get to choose that form either!

You've reached the point where we don't know enough to help you with a question like, "Is it the fat?" I can't answer when, in my case, it's hard to eat too much fat
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-23, 08:17

Or is it too much fat?

Keto Lie #3: You Should Eat More Fat to Burn More Body Fat
https://optimisingnutrition.com/keto-fat-loss/

There are 11 other "keto lies" related to eating too much fat on this blog (tap on the links to free articles) or in an updated Kindle book for only $2.99.
https://optimisingnutrition.com/big...dle/#more-38613

I used lower fat and higher net carb grams based on this formula:

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Feb-24-23 at 08:47.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-23, 09:06
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Or is it too much fat?

Keto Lie #3: You Should Eat More Fat to Burn More Body Fat
https://optimisingnutrition.com/keto-fat-loss/

There are 11 other "keto lies" related to eating too much fat on this blog (tap on the links to free articles) or in an updated Kindle book for only $2.99.

I used lower fat and higher net carb grams based on this formula:

So if I'm understanding correct that site I should add more proteins and less fat? One other thing, I'm starving through the day. For example I just had my 5 eggs for breakfast and I feel have not eaten anything, it doesn't make me cheat because I just deal with it but I never feel not even filled but just not hungry.

Last edited by Kp33 : Fri, Feb-24-23 at 09:45.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-23, 09:47

Basically, yes. That is The P:E Diet in a nutshell. (Plus for "keto" folks increasing healthy, high fiber whole food carbs).
My journal is relatively new, so you will find there summarized what I changed in the past 2+ years in the first few posts. Many links to podcasts, articles, food lists at DietDoctor how to tweak Low Carb to Higher Protein and Satiety.

Consider for breakfast 2 eggs (for the nutrients like choline) plus 6 - 8 oz.egg whites, add a lean meat like Canadian bacon, turkey bacon, canned fish, leftover chicken, maybe include some vegetables. Eat higher protein and lower fat than you do now, increase the protein % of your diet slowly. There are more food lists in the first few posts of my journal. I usually eat two meals a day, plus a high protein, low fat dairy snack, e.g. protein powder in Fage 0% yogurt. So first meal is not "breakfast" but more a brunch so I have stirfries, or salad both with 6-8 oz of a lean protein.

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Feb-24-23 at 09:58.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-23, 09:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Basically, yes. That is The P:E Diet in a nutshell. (Plus for "keto" folks increasing healthy, high fiber whole food carbs).
My journal is relatively new, so you will find there summarized what I changed in the past 2+ years in the first few posts. Many links to podcasts, articles, food lists at DietDoctor how to tweak Low Carb to Higher Protein and Satiety.

I'm pretty sure I have added good fiber, everyday I eat a salad with romaine lettuce, 5 grape tomatoes, no more than 100 grams of cucumber, dill pickels, and some crumbled parmesan cheese. I also eat 100 grams a day of strawberries. I feel for fiber that is good. Ill try more protein and less fat, only time I feel I lose weight is when I don't eat for example this past weekend I lost three pounds because all i ate was breakfast, when I went back to my normal eating schedule on Monday the one I listed above, by today I put the 3 lbs back on. But can't eat only breakfast every day because on those days I was starving but I was playing poker so it kept me occupied...lol.

Last edited by Kp33 : Fri, Feb-24-23 at 10:03.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-24-23, 10:09

At 6’2” your goal would be 180 grams of protein! Don’t think you can eat that in one breakfast.

What you Eat Determines how much you Eat.

This page and the Tips Tab on same site will give you some ideas.
https://www.lowenergydiet.com/HowtoeataLED.html