Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-22, 12:26

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

I now eat no sugar, and my use of liquid sucralose is quite limited. I occasionally drink a cherry coke zero. I'm not going to worry about the sugar substitute pros and cons because I just don't eat much of it. However, for people who chug sugar free sodas continually, the story could be very different. For myself, I can't see any sort of blood sugar spike or spiked hunger, and having an occasional coke zero feels like a treat.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-22, 12:39

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Here's a video from a few years ago testing sweetener BG response from the folks at Keto Connect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfqvTZWilw
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-22, 15:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I've ordered some Naked Whey to make my own smoothie mix. Since I do my own flavorings anyway. So zero artificial sweeteners, because chocolate doesn't need it . This lowers my consumption even further.

There's been more studies about the ultra processed foods. I saw the incredible number of 58% of a person's diet can consist of these artificial foods. That's staggering.

I think it's very much a matter of percentage. If 58% can be traced to hydrogenated oils and artificial flavorings and the like, that is horrifying.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-08-22, 16:52

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
There's been more studies about the ultra processed foods. I saw the incredible number of 58% of a person's diet can consist of these artificial foods. That's staggering.
Since I eat 0-5% processed food, there must be people out there eating 100% processed crap to compensate and get the average to 58%
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Sep-09-22, 08:44

BF:

In researching my own whey protein ingredients, I saw how the price per ounce changed as I explored flavored versus unflavored. By the time I got to the Naked Whey, which is only the whey protein, I got the feeling there was actually more additives in the protein mixes I've been using... than I had thought.

Also, whey is ultra processed, but also still good protein for those who find it easy to digest, like me.

But since it's breakfast always and dinner sometimes, it's worth being fussy about. Thanks to all the good Marty Kendall info that Jey shares here, we've been saying "protein, cheaper than prescriptions."

For me, investment in our health pays off. And the less processed stuff I eat, the sharper my taste buds. Food is so DELICIOUS.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-22, 16:56

BF:

i'm learning a lot about whey protein. And what isolate is. And how to avoid lumps. Because my first experiment was pretty lumpy.

So I'm emulsifying and then adding the hot water as usual, but I also found a satiety factor came into play. I have been adding some of my regular mix to the naked whey, and this seems to work best for a balance of satiety and texture.
And it costs more, since the one I like next best, from Aldi, is so inexpensive, I'm doing half and half yet cannot tell that I've lost any sweetness.

An upgrade worth keeping.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-22, 09:23

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
i'm learning a lot about whey protein. And what isolate is. And how to avoid lumps. Because my first experiment was pretty lumpy.

So I'm emulsifying and then adding the hot water as usual, but I also found a satiety factor came into play. I have been adding some of my regular mix to the naked whey, and this seems to work best for a balance of satiety and texture.
And it costs more, since the one I like next best, from Aldi, is so inexpensive, I'm doing half and half yet cannot tell that I've lost any sweetness.

An upgrade worth keeping.

WB - I looked at Naked Whey unflavored a while back, and held off due to the reviews ranging from 1 to 5 stars. I don't drink smoothies, so I'd want to add it to plain yogurt. Let me know about your experiences with this product and whether it would even mix with something like yogurt. Thanks
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-22, 11:08

BF:

Gladly, Rob! The Naked part is how this is only whey. It doesn't contain anything which helps with smooth blending. This would downgrade it for many smoothie people, unless they use an actual blender.

Fortunately, that doesn't apply with yogurt. I had no problem blending it with my whole milk Greek yogurt. Probably even easier with regular. Lumps in yogurt are easily blended. The taste blends right in and thickens it up. A topper of chopped walnuts and it's practically cream pie

I think a lot of the people trying this mistook it for a shake blend. Because one of the reasons I'm doing half and half with the Naked Whey is to add some of the vitamins and MCTs in the shake mix, and get some of the mouthfeel and texture they are there, for.

Then I use less of the custom shake mix, because the Naked Whey is so satiating. I couldn't finish my first attempt.

Isolate is the type which is super-concentrated, but to me it lacks palatability. I find the flavor and texture the Naked Whey adds suits me better. Right now, my experiments I wanted to use up are flavored, so I can use small amounts with my custom mix.

Then the "marshmallow" flavor backs off and is just a flavor, not a board broken over my head.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Sep-19-22, 15:48

BF:

Thanks, WB, very helpful. I've used isopure in the past, and the unflavored is also pure whey protein.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Sep-21-22, 06:39

BF:

Thanks, Rob, it looks like good stuff. But doesn't it have a definite "flavor" of isolate? It seems so to me, but then it is a concentrated form.

Since eating low-lectin, so many things are explained, from why I hated vegetables as a child to how eating real foods of one kind or another has sharpened my taste buds so that what looks plain is actually rich.

This might be why I like the taste of the less processed whey, rather than the more refined, and concentrated, product.