Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 13:13

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%
Default U.S. News diet ratings for 2022 are published

This year's ratings are out and as expected low-carb eating plans are ranked near the bottom. Their panel of 'experts' went with the ones that the major medical organizations and the USDA like.

https://health.usnews.com/best-diet

This op-ed from 2018 still applies. Nothing in the ratings will ever change.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/op-...0128-story.html
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 14:26

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

But the #1 diet for "Fast Weight Loss" is Atkins! Only because Keto is now considered an even worse fad diet, it moved up.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-09-22, 19:13

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

American politician Mike Pompeo has made the headlines by losing 90lbs in six months. Critics say, "Impossible!" He says he did it by "Eating less and moving more." Both statements are probably dodging the truth.

What do I think? From hints in the interviews with Pompeo, I think he went strict KETO. Yeah, maybe he "ate less" than his previous SAD. But he's not saying exactly what. After all, he IS a politician. He'd be a pariah for sure if he said "KETO did it!" He might have to tap Big Pharma to fund his campaign.

By the way, his before/after photos are impressive. He did a good thing for himself. Wish he'd tell the whole truth. But...he's a politician.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-22, 04:44

Wow! He looks great, not saggy in the face as you might imagine with that rapid a weight loss. A Newsweek article mentioned him eating egg whites and turkey bacon…. High protein, low carb and low fat. It works

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jan-10-22 at 05:33.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-22, 13:08

Plan: IF/Keto/80:20
Stats: 162/150/142 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 60%

I read that he gave up his beloved pancakes too and now opts for salad. Keto it is then. Wish they would admit it, but there’s no money to be made from eating a non-processed, non-sugary diet.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-22, 14:30

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Yearly diet rankings by the media informed by the "health experts" has always been an exercise in comedy to me.

As for Pompeo, good for him for taking charge regardless of how he did it. I believe, however, many on this forum know.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-22, 19:58

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
American politician Mike Pompeo has made the headlines by losing 90lbs in six months. Critics say, "Impossible!" He says he did it by "Eating less and moving more." Both statements are probably dodging the truth.

What do I think? From hints in the interviews with Pompeo, I think he went strict KETO. Yeah, maybe he "ate less" than his previous SAD. But he's not saying exactly what. After all, he IS a politician. He'd be a pariah for sure if he said "KETO did it!" He might have to tap Big Pharma to fund his campaign.

By the way, his before/after photos are impressive. He did a good thing for himself. Wish he'd tell the whole truth. But...he's a politician.

https://www.foxnews.com/lifestyle/m...tal-lost-weight

Quote:
Pompeo went on, "I stopped eating carbs to a large extent, and I tried to eat smaller portions.

After I posted, I saw this. LOL!

ETA: Experts Are VERY Suspicious of Mike Pompeo's Weight Loss Claim

Quote:
“Ninety in six is unbelievable, especially for his age, unless he’s working out for hours every day,” said Kansas City trainer Micah LaCerte. “The numbers just don’t add up. Dude, just be honest. Mike, come on, man.” Al Rose, 65, a New York-based trainer, said the former Kansas congressman was “definitely being untruthful” and such a rapid loss is usually only attainable with surgery, drugs, or extreme measures.

Last edited by HappyLC : Mon, Jan-10-22 at 20:04.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-22, 06:29
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/146/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 119%

Nina Teicholz did a pretty good evisceration of this on twitter.
Quote:
DASH has long been #1 or 2 for USNews. I looked at total data in 2017 and found major limitations: DASH had only been tested on middle-aged people w/ hypertension ('cept 1 trial in Iran)--thus not generalizable. (...) This meta-analysis of 14 diets also says: Mediterranean diet is mediocre for weight loss and hypertension reduction. So again, why is it #1? (...) Meta-analysis above concluded paleo was one of 2 best diets for reducing blood pressure, and Atkins was one of 2 best for weight loss at 6 mo. (...) And MDs tell me a top reason people go off low-carb is that they're scared to death by so much negative news --from experts like USNews! (...) That panel? 30% are members of a vegan/vegetarian activist group. (...) So, in conclusion: USNews rankings are completely disconnected from high-quality, rigorous trial evidence.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-22, 07:09

Go Nina! All she needs to do is repeat her 2017 analysis every year.
(I didn’t even know one could post a MONSTER thread like that on Twitter )

I’ve been watching Google Trends lately, Keto is still number one for number of searchs but now a small fraction of its most popular in Jan 2019. An interesting comment from one article…that Dieting of all types is less popular now, and especially since CoVid. I think people are just getting sick of Dietary Dogma … to quote Ted Naiman. (https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...627#post9421627 ). Low-carb, low-fat, plant-based, carnivore…They all work…why not pull the lever on all of them? The name "keto" now suffers from an image problem, from the snake oil salesmen, to the keto chows and shakes, Religous Keto or Internet keto doesn’t work well for many and people are vocal about it now.

Quote:
Overall, interest in dieting steadily drops as each year progresses, until the next New Year’s Day comes around.

Google Adwords data shows that in 2021, interest in dieting in America was at its lowest for the past four years. The number of diet-related searches dropped by 12% compared to 2020 and by 14% compared to 2019.

Google data confirms several reports published early in the pandemic that Americans dropped their diets and turned to comfort foods, a natural response during times of high stress. Indeed, Google searches for pizza, mac & cheese, cake, and other comfort foods were at an all-time high in 2021.

If we were to make our predictions for 2022, it’s very likely for this trend to continue. Diet-related search data for November 2021, the last month for which data is currently available, shows little change in people’s diet interest. Diet-related searches in November 2021 were down by 3.5% Y-o-Y, and by 9.7% compared to 2019.

image uploading sites

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-11-22 at 08:44.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-22, 08:03

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

The Fright Factor in this Diet Evaluation has negative social consequences: people think it's expert advice, and avoid trying methods that might work. I think, too, how such advice affects things like federal school lunch programs, etc.

By now, I hope that Low-Carbohydrate methods in general are known to have health benefits. The chief complaint seems to be "sustainability." But anyone who has ever tried to sustain a low-cal/low-fat lifestyle (including those hundreds of women across many years on the Women's Health Initiative study) knows how ineffective that is, even if they manage to sustain it. We know that all dieters are liars!

Ever since Atkins (RIP) I've known what works for me. I've tried out quite a few variations, but the essential path is the same: Real food. No sugar.

Everything else is YMMV, and we do our own homework on the details.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-22, 10:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
The Fright Factor in this Diet Evaluation has negative social consequences: people think it's expert advice, and avoid trying methods that might work. I think, too, how such advice affects things like federal school lunch programs, etc.

Good point that concerns me as well. The Atkins diet became such a lightning rod for "experts" to attack, as it veered strongly away from everything being recommended since the food pyramid. Keto emerged as it was Atkins without the negative association, but as Janet observes, we've had many marketeers distort how keto can be effective. It now has become controversial; yet, the foundation of it all is to limit carbs, emphasize healthy protein, and don't fear but don't overdo it with healthy fat.

The school lunch comment extends to colleges, universities, work places, hospitals, SNAP, and more, and it's a major concern as well. The very committee (30% vegan/vegetarian according to Neicholz) contributing to the US News report on effective diets is also heavily involved in the Dietary Guidelines for Americans, as this is the vehicle that informs how to eat and is endorsed by the government with the USDA leading the charge. Improved awareness is required to counter this misinformation, which will continue in frequency and fallacy. I was watching a sporting event on TV the other day when I learned that Honey Nut Cheerios are very heart healthy. Who knew?
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-22, 07:10

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Keto emerged as it was Atkins without the negative association, but as Janet observes, we've had many marketeers distort how keto can be effective. It now has become controversial; yet, the foundation of it all is to limit carbs, emphasize healthy protein, and don't fear but don't overdo it with healthy fat.

The problem is we live in an age of rampant con artistry on the internet which is not nearly as watched over for lies as was the three channels of broadcast television back in the day.

"They couldn't advertise it if it wasn't true" has been languishing ever since.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-22, 11:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The problem is we live in an age of rampant con artistry on the internet which is not nearly as watched over for lies as was the three channels of broadcast television back in the day.

"They couldn't advertise it if it wasn't true" has been languishing ever since.

Very true. Technology and "free" social media sites are farming data from unaware participants to bolster these cons. Further, these unaware participants are now receiving advertising customized for them. What a coincidence! The old adage was that if you saw it on TV or read it in the newspaper, it must be true. That's now been ratcheted up exponentially in today's environment.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-22, 16:16

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
I was watching a sporting event on TV the other day when I learned that Honey Nut Cheerios are very heart healthy. Who knew?
All things with oats in them are touted as heart-healthy because eating oats reduces LDL. Are far as I can tell, eating oats has never been tested to see if it actually prevents heart problems.
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-22, 17:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
All things with oats in them are touted as heart-healthy because eating oats reduces LDL. Are far as I can tell, eating oats has never been tested to see if it actually prevents heart problems.

But reducing LDL has and in older subjects, it increased mortality rates. Go figure . . .