Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-20, 08:02

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewelssam
I'm sorry for not replying sooner. I've been pretty sick. I read through your comments pretty fast and want to reread them in the morning. It's after 3:00am and need to get to bed. BTW thanks to everyone. I'll answer your questions..

This is a good sign that you responded. Most never post again. Speaking for myself, it's gratifying and worth the effort I put into answering your question. There is a sliver of hope I can see and it's bright and shiny

Get well, Rest - after reading some of the responses and the wording of your original question I was unclear if you were asking the question of "re-gain" for your Husband or Yourself.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-20, 01:15

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 135/135/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
My husband asked me today, "will I have to be on this diet the rest of my life? What happens when I'm at goal and how do I not regain?"

I'm sorry, I misspoke. It is is ME who is on LC. I was on LC back in 2002-2004. I went off it because I was afraid of too much saturated fat. I don't have much too lose but my health is suffering. I have GERD and Gastroparesis ( slow stomach emptying) I only put on a bra when needed. My midsection bloats up something awful.

I understand all your responses and appreciate your honesty. Thank you. I know what I'll need to do now.

One more question.
I've been staying under 30 carbs for 30 days. I lost 4#'s and gained back 2#'s. 2#'s does not seem like enough and it's discouraging. I thought the last 2 or 3 days I would lose again. I've been at a standstill for almost 12 days. I know there are stalls but I've forgotten how long they can last. Help?
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-20, 02:43
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi Jewels. Hope you're feeling better soon.

There are lots of reasons for slower weight loss.
- Are your stats correct? You don't have a lot of weight to lose.
- You mentioned some serious stomach issues - are you on medications for that, or other issues? (Not that you have to tell us, but many medications make weight loss difficult.) Same with your recent illness - even ibuprofen can balloon you up.
- If your first go-around was in the early '00s, you might be about my age (mid-40s), which probably means you're in peri-menopause or all-out menopause? I absolutely do not get away with what I could get away with when I was 27. I've had to concede my healthy weight to be rounder than it was then.

Would you consider posting what you eat? Maybe someone can spot something. Consider starting a journal.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-20, 07:47

BF:

Quote:
I'm sorry, I misspoke. It is is ME who is on LC.

Thank you, that's how I framed my first answer to you.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-20, 07:49

BF:

Quote:
...One more question.
I've been staying under 30 carbs for 30 days. I lost 4#'s and gained back 2#'s. 2#'s does not seem like enough and it's discouraging. I thought the last 2 or 3 days I would lose again. I've been at a standstill for almost 12 days. I know there are stalls but I've forgotten how long they can last. Help?

Hard advice from me, take it for what it's worth.

1) Stay on your plan
2) Throw away your scale
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-20, 08:26

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 215/197.2/195 Male 73.5
BF:
Progress: 89%

Not gaining weight is good, even if you have more to lose.

I do not know if I would throw away the scale, but I would limit your exposure to it (I stand on it once a week at the same time...daily fluctuations would drive me nuts).

There are lots of variables to play with, which are discussed at length on this site:
- Intermittent fasting
- Balance of protein and fat in diet
- Total calorie intake
- Exercise

You have halted the slow gain. Now play with the variables until you find the plan that works for you.

Last edited by Sniggle : Tue, Nov-03-20 at 09:10.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-20, 08:39

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Thanks for the clarification. I took your quote literally in your post as your husband speaking thinking that he asked the question due to him following this way of eating. Since I know it's you who is asking, my first response stands. You have a lot of knowledgeable posters responding to you. The only thing I'd add is that, yes, if you stop eating low carb and go back to your way of eating that caused you to start low carb, it's all destined to repeat itself. There are many threads on this forum dealing with long-term maintenance and other experiences while attempting to make low carb a way of life. This place is a treasure trove of information with links to many informative articles, videos, and success stories (journals) explaining how people achieved success. You're are in a good place with good company.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-20, 13:24

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 135/135/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hi Jewels. Hope you're feeling better soon.

There are lots of reasons for slower weight loss.
- Are your stats correct? You don't have a lot of weight to lose.
- You mentioned some serious stomach issues - are you on medications for that, or other issues? (Not that you have to tell us, but many medications make weight loss difficult.) Same with your recent illness - even ibuprofen can balloon you up.
- If your first go-around was in the early '00s, you might be about my age (mid-40s), which probably means you're in peri-menopause or all-out menopause? I absolutely do not get away with what I could get away with when I was 27. I've had to concede my healthy weight to be rounder than it was then.

Would you consider posting what you eat? Maybe someone can spot something. Consider starting a journal.

Thank you, I am feeling a little better. I have a ton of health problems plus more drugs than I want to admit. I changed my stats to where I am now.
I am 77 years old. I was holding my weight at 127 for years till Covid kept us at home. Granted I'm not getting out to walk as often and this is probably one reason.
Neuropathy so am on Gabapentin which is suppose to make you gain weight but I've been on it for 20 years and have held my own.
Gerd and on generic Prilosec
Sjogrens, no medication
IBS
High blood pressure, Losartan
Asthma,
RLS
Neurogenic Bladder, Detrol and recently Estrodiol.

I keep a journal of everything I eat.
Sample menu

Coffee with 2TB. of Coffee Mate = 2carbs
Adkins drink = 2 or 3 carbs
Low carb yogurt =3
2 mozzerella sticks = 0
3 fried eggs with either bacon or sausages
Or
Meat and salad with Hidden Valley ranch or Lighthouse blue cheese
Snack (maybe) 1 oz. walnuts
Sugar Free instant pudding = 13 carbs
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Nov-04-20, 17:47
Forum Moderator

BF:

Hi Jewels. Okay, so you've got a few years on me.

If it were me, I'd replace the Coffee Mate with real cream, and maybe ditch the Atkins drinks and pudding with something you make yourself... but I understand that when you have stomach issues, you want to stick with the things that know don't upset it. I also understand that protein drinks and pudding can be a pain in the butt to make.

Best of luck, keep us posted.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Nov-11-20, 02:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

Hi Jewelssam, I hope you're feeling better now.

What was your normal diet when you were maintaining your weight? Since it worked for you before, then maybe we could suggest a few tweaks to that which would help you to lose those extra pounds?

With regard to your current diet, I'd agree with Kristine's suggestions.

I've been eating mousses recently, mostly just containing eggs, something to add flavour and a little gelatine or SF jelly powder. They so quick and nice! I recently wrote the basic recipe in my journal, if you'd like to try it instead of the puddings. I'm going to try a savoury one next using smoked salmon.

Keep in touch!

Last edited by Kirsteen : Wed, Nov-11-20 at 02:48.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-21, 05:12

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
My husband asked me today, "will I have to be on this diet the rest of my life? What happens when I'm at goal and how do I not regain?"

Find a life span program that works for his life. I found a life span program. You may want to read on fast and less meals and upping his protein. Get a handle on the hunger hormones. If he only has the carbs in meal inkl. the "cheat" foods, including them in the main meal it may be tolerable even a Happy Diet as it has been for me. Read CAD + CALP books?

I wish you and a blessed journey.

--
Love how it feels living like this, it's for life.

Last edited by Happy girl : Sat, Jan-02-21 at 09:34.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-21, 07:33
Forum Moderator

BF:

HappyGirl, Jewelssam clarified that she was talking about herself, not her husband... just want to keep the thread on track.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-21, 08:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Jewels, I hope that you are feeling well now, and maybe ready to restart toward your health goals in the New Year.
A quick update from me...Dr. Westman's plan in the new book is super simple, with no requirements for organic, grass-fed whatever. Keep the carbs very low at first and then find a carb level to maintain forever. In fact, I think this was the first time he published how he advises clinic patients after they reach goal.
There was a professional writer involved and everything is very clear and simple, no science in this one at all.
The Kindle is only $9.99 https://www.amazon.com/End-Your-Car...e/dp/1628604298
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-21, 09:36

Plan: SEC
Stats: 198/183/150 Female 168 (5.512 ft)
BF:
Progress: 31%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
HappyGirl, Jewelssam clarified that she was talking about herself, not her husband... just want to keep the thread on track.

Thanks. Fixed it ✔️

Glad you took notice.
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Jan-02-21, 15:43

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I weigh myself every morning. It's the second thing I do after getting out of bed.

I write down the weight on a calendar and rather than looking for day to day weight fluctuations, I look for trends.

If I see myself gradually sliding up, I know I need to make some adjustments.

This keeps me from regaining.

Of course there is more than one right way to do this.

Bob