Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 07:48

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Full fat dairy has become a key component of my anti-immune diet. Organic and goat/sheep cheeses are very satiating. Also versatile for dessert items: meat has limited utility there
Ribeye steak is a fantastic dessert.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 07:59

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I've been settling for part skim mozz for years now, because I can get it so much cheaper than the whole milk mozz. According to the USDA nutrition stats on whole milk mozz compared to what I buy - the whole milk mozz has a whopping 0.3 g more fat/oz than the part skim, so that's not exactly a big difference in fat content. They don't state the ratio of skim to whole milk content on the label of the cheese I buy, buy such a slight difference might explain why the part skim mozz I buy is still pretty darn good.

But full fat has 200% more flavor and a much better texture.

IMO life is too short to eat mediocre food.

Bob
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 08:02

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Full fat dairy has become a key component of my anti-immune diet. Organic and goat/sheep cheeses are very satiating. Also versatile for dessert items: meat has limited utility there

For grated Romano cheese, I make sure it is Pecorino Romano - sheep cheese. If it comes from cows, IMO it isn't really Romano.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 11:35

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
For grated Romano cheese, I make sure it is Pecorino Romano - sheep cheese. If it comes from cows, IMO it isn't really Romano.

Agreed. It is sheep milk.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-21-20, 16:56

BF:

It gives you sheep thrills
  #21   ^
Old Fri, May-22-20, 03:25

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
Ribeye steak is a fantastic dessert.

I agree, and I've done that! But I'm being very budget conscious of late. I can get two bricks of cream cheese at Aldis for less than $2.

Which brings up another angle: except for the heavy cream in my morning pot of coffee, which is only a few tablespoons, all my dairy is high fat and fermented. Cheese, cream cheese, sour cream.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, May-22-20, 05:36

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
But full fat has 200% more flavor and a much better texture.

IMO life is too short to eat mediocre food.

Bob

I've had whole milk mozz before and don't remember there being much flavor difference at all, but in all honesty, if the whole milk mozz now has that much more flavor, I know ME - I'd probably end up gorging on 5 times as much of it. I know the whole milk mozz should be more satiating than the part skim, but that's part of the reason I mentioned how little difference there was in the total fat content - 0.3 g more milk fat won't make that much difference in satiating ability (at least not for me, YMMV).

Cost is also a huge factor right now (actually has been for many years), and something I don't see changing any time soon.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, May-22-20, 08:34

BF:

Everybody's mouth is different.

The whole milk mozz has much more flavor and a much denser texture to me.

I'm budget conscious too but I save money by not running the AC (there is over $100/month saved and it's both healthier and better for the environment), not subscribing to Cable TV (I do no TV at all), using a lower speed tier Internet service, and a number of other things.

Of course what is right for me isn't right for everybody. There is more than one right way to go through life.

Bob
  #24   ^
Old Fri, May-22-20, 16:05

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Everybody's mouth is different.

The whole milk mozz has much more flavor and a much denser texture to me.

I'm budget conscious too but I save money by not running the AC (there is over $100/month saved and it's both healthier and better for the environment), not subscribing to Cable TV (I do no TV at all), using a lower speed tier Internet service, and a number of other things.

Of course what is right for me isn't right for everybody. There is more than one right way to go through life.

Bob

Exactly. We all have reasons for the various things we're willing to put our money towards, no matter how much we may have or how limited our finances may be.

For me, going without AC is not healthy at all. For one thing, I don't perspire like a normal person. A fan at the lowest setting will have my DH freezing in minutes because he perspires so "freely". Even with a fan on full blast, my face just gets redder and redder, and I keep getting hotter and hotter, to the point that I feel physically ill, but rarely perspire.

This time of year, I need to keep the house closed up and run 2 air purifiers around the clock to give me a relatively low-pollen environment. Even doing that and taking antihistamines, I still get maddeningly itchy places that are impossible to scratch (eyeballs, Eustachian tubes, and soft palate). If I go outside on a high pollen day, it feels like a thousand needles are pricking my skin. Keeping the house closed up this time of year means that it gets really hot inside (see heat intolerance above), and since the pollen level isn't anywhere near low enough at night to stop all the itching, I can't open up the house to cool it off in here either. Therefore, as much as I like fresh air, AC = absolute necessity for me.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, May-23-20, 11:29

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Exactly. We all have reasons for the various things we're willing to put our money towards, no matter how much we may have or how limited our finances may be.

For me, going without AC is not healthy at all. For one thing, I don't perspire like a normal person. A fan at the lowest setting will have my DH freezing in minutes because he perspires so "freely". Even with a fan on full blast, my face just gets redder and redder, and I keep getting hotter and hotter, to the point that I feel physically ill, but rarely perspire.

Agree with this. Some conditions/places no AC just isn't a healthy viable option. Ancestors 100 plus years ago I was surprised to learn had to leave a ranch in beautiful northern, yes northern U.S. because the summer heat made them dangerously ill. Heat's not for everyone, and I would (and do) cut out a lot of other things from a limited budget before sacrificing quality of life trying to live and sleep in sweat-drenched temps and humidity in the 90s. With cool breezes and a well-ventilated home maybe but that's not here.
Werebear, I love Aldi. Food prices there are great for being able to afford those good high fat dairy foods (cream, butter, cheeses, Greek yogurt, your mentioned cream cheese, etc.).
  #26   ^
Old Sat, May-23-20, 12:27

BF:

Quote:
<...snip...>
For me, going without AC is not healthy at all.<...>

I'm sorry to hear that. You have to do what is right for you.

For most people, opening windows is healthier than living in AC.

I have mild allergies that itch the Eustachian tubes and tear ducts. If they flare up I take Pe Min Kan Wan (Plum Flower Brand) as recommended by a local herbalist. He said the Plum Flower Brand is the only brand he would trust. No he doesn't sell it, I get it on Amazon.

Before I take that I drink lots and lots and lots of water, as that often works without herbs.

If the Pe Min Kan Wan doesn't work, a children's dose of Dimetapp will.

Of course that's just me.

If someone doesn't have the allergy problem study after study shows that opening the windows and letting fresh air in is much healthier than AC. Plus it's better for the environment as ACs consume a lot of energy as they heat up the earth with their 'exhaust'.

Plus when you get acclimatized to the summer temperatures, it doesn't seem as hot when you go outside. "Up north" when fall comes, 65 degrees feels cold, after a freezing winter, 65 degrees feels warm.

When you live in AC at 70 degrees all day, going out in 85 or 90 seems hotter than it would if you aren't acclimatized to your AC temp.

People have different ways to save and different priorities. I wouldn't imagine what is best for me would be best for everyone.

We also hang our laundry outside, which saves electricity and actually sterilizes our clothes. We don't do recreational shopping. I don't subscribe to Cable TV (actually I haven't watched TV since the late 1980s), My driving habits give me 100 extra miles per tankful which is a great gas and money savings (if interested in how let me know), I buy lower mid priced cars and drive them until they are no longer dependable (usually 200,000 miles), mow my own lawn (there's $85/month savings), do not buy bottled water, soda or other drinks, and so on. But I buy organic and full-fat food. Good health is priceless.

Bob
  #27   ^
Old Sat, May-23-20, 18:31

BF:

Quote:
When you live in AC at 70 degrees all day, going out in 85 or 90 seems hotter than it would if you aren't acclimatized to your AC temp.
Bob, I agree. Constant unchanging temperature is an unnatural invention that, along with other changes like 24/7 artificial lighting, indoors away from sunlight, EMF radiation, highly processed foodstuffs with strange ingredients (or missing ones like the fat removed from so many dairy products) have created a convenient yet highly unnatural environment taking a toll on human health that I don't think was anticipated when those things were invented. Our A/C can only get us down to the 80's but beats trying to sleep close to 100 outside with windows that don't open. Only time we ever see 70 indoors here is winter. Some people think I'm odd because I cold plunge in my pool all winter, and I sauna plus spend time outdoors in the summer heat catching rays, but I think it's good for us.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, May-23-20, 19:20

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

A/C...... really hate the cold created by A/C. Its different. Its not for me. Though I can understand how it is important to many..... we open the windows, or if very hot, close the windows and limit cooking.

Full fat mozzrella only. If its not available, we get it the next time it is in stock. The other is like rubber. So much of the flavor in cheese is the fat. Triple cream brie is lucious. Hate hate hate no fat yogurt..... its like..... chalk !!!!! yuk !!

Finding full fat yoghurt is imposdible in some stores, and in others it takes looking at every container. A pain, but worth the effort.

The best yogurt is homemade combining whole milk and cream. Yummmmmm
  #29   ^
Old Sat, May-23-20, 19:49

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zei
Bob, I agree. Constant unchanging temperature is an unnatural invention that, along with other changes like 24/7 artificial lighting, indoors away from sunlight, EMF radiation, highly processed foodstuffs with strange ingredients (or missing ones like the fat removed from so many dairy products) have created a convenient yet highly unnatural environment taking a toll on human health that I don't think was anticipated when those things were invented. Our A/C can only get us down to the 80's but beats trying to sleep close to 100 outside with windows that don't open. Only time we ever see 70 indoors here is winter. Some people think I'm odd because I cold plunge in my pool all winter, and I sauna plus spend time outdoors in the summer heat catching rays, but I think it's good for us.

Definitely.

Plus running the AC is bad for the environment. Between the use of electricity and the hot air blown out of the unit, it's helping to create a hotter world, which defeats what you are doing to cool yourself off.

Fortunately my house was built in 1950, before ACs so it opens up to catch the ocean breezes. I painted the roof white and planted a couple of dozen trees when I moved here 30 years ago. Now I have a shady lot, and when it's 90 degrees in the sun, it's rarely more than 80 in the house.

With the trees and without recirculating exhaled air in a closed house, I'm sure I'm getting more oxygen and healthier air too. Right now a night blooming jasmine is drifting sweet floral smells into my open windows. I can her the wind rustling through the trees, and I'm saving money and the environment while enjoying life more.

Whole milk mozz is hard to find here, but there are stores that will order it in for me.

I had a pizza on a low-carb millet and flax lavash with imported whole milk Mozz plus Pecorino Romano, Asiago and Pepperoni. I get imported Italian tomato sauce with no sugar added so it's low carb and put oregano and other spices in myself.

I save money on a lot of things, but one thing I don't cut short is food. I want the food to be healthy. I eat European cheese because they don't feed their cows artificial hormones, and they have higher cream content and use A2 cows.

Food is important, especially when you eat less of it to stay slim-ish.

Bob
  #30   ^
Old Sat, May-23-20, 20:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
A/C...... really hate the cold created by A/C. Its different. Its not for me. Though I can understand how it is important to many..... we open the windows, or if very hot, close the windows and limit cooking.

Full fat mozzrella only. If its not available, we get it the next time it is in stock. The other is like rubber. So much of the flavor in cheese is the fat. Triple cream brie is lucious. Hate hate hate no fat yogurt..... its like..... chalk !!!!! yuk !!

Finding full fat yoghurt is imposdible in some stores, and in others it takes looking at every container. A pain, but worth the effort.

The best yogurt is homemade combining whole milk and cream. Yummmmmm

Our local Walmart and Aldi here both sell full fat Greek yogurt. If A1 vs A2 casein is a concern though they're all A1. A2 would have to be home made from A2 milk. I've experimented with eliminating A1 in favor of A2 but the jury's still out for me on whether it makes a difference. Some people are likely a whole lot more sensitive to it than me.