Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-21, 04:53
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Nice interview, thanks Janet.

That's a year old, and the book IS now available in hard copy. Links available at the book's website.
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Sun, Jan-17-21, 06:00

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks Kristine..And it has now been translated to Spanish too.
There were some problems with format with the e-book at first, but the e-book for only $20 looks fine on my Books app now. For a P:E diet for weight loss, this website has it all on one page. https://www.lowenergydiet.com/Tips.html
  #93   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-21, 06:52

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Thanks Kristine..And it has now been translated to Spanish too.
There were some problems with format with the e-book at first, but the e-book for only $20 looks fine on my Books app now. For a P:E diet for weight loss, this website has it all on one page. https://www.lowenergydiet.com/Tips.html

I checked out the website
It still advocates low-fat everything.
  #94   ^
Old Mon, Jan-18-21, 11:19

The LowEnergy website is the Weight Loss version of the P:E Diet, so yes, fat is reduced where it can be such as using low fat yogurt, cheese and leaner cuts of meat. This version still includes Whole Foods such as salmon, shellfish, whole eggs, chicken, and many vegetables.

If you are at your ideal weight, then you can use any food on the P:E diet ratio......avoiding sugar, refined flour and refined vegetable oil, anything that has High Energy Density and lies in the Fat Gain segment of the calculator. Full fat 5% yogurt has a P:E of 1.1 so that's great, but if still wanting to lose weight 0% or 2% yogurt helps toward that goal.

http://www.burnfatnotsugar.com/MacroCalc.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Jan-18-21 at 12:33.
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-21, 01:31
Forum Moderator

BF:

To add to Janet's point, the purpose of using those lower-fat products is the increase in protein. Take my usual brand of full-fat yogurt compared to 0% Greek yogurt, 3/4 c each:

Full fat: 10 g fat, 7 g carb, 6 g protein
0% Gr: 0 g fat, 4 g carb, 17 g protein

It's a better carb bargain, and I'd have to eat 3x as much of the FF yogurt to get the same amount of protein. I find the 0% just as filling, if not more.

I know satiety is subjective, and a lot of folks (myself included, at first) would think, "but if it's low fat, I'll be starving." Not so, if you're prioritizing protein. I'm not even getting as much as Dr Ted suggests, and I'm too full after my meals.

The other thought that turned me off was how it tends to be true that a lot of lower-fat products are boosted with junky starches, sugars and fillers - again, not universally true. I have to read labels carefully. That usual brand of full-fat yogurt I buy? The full-fat only contains cream, milk and cultures... but their 0% yogurt isn't the strained Greek variety and it's full of carby crap. I buy Liberte or my store's brand.
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Jan-19-21, 04:20

Thanks Kristine, it is all about prioritizing protein. A serving of Fage Total 0% has 18g, and the 3.6 PE ratio is solidly in the fat loss section. I had to check the ingredients, you're right...only skim milk and five strains of yogurt cultures. Adding some healthy carbs from frozen fruit added nutrient density for the DataDriven Fasting too.

Dr Naiman answered a recent question on Twitter. Eggs or Egg Whites?
Quote:
all whole eggs if you are at your goal body composition and health; 50/50 whole eggs with additional egg whites to increase P:E if your goal is fat loss and you already have too much fat inside your body (as evidenced by body fat and/or markers of insulin resistance).

First time I bought egg whites in ten years

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-19-21 at 09:58.
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Jan-21-21, 13:01

Another podcast with Dr. Ted on Boundless Body. All good, but around minute 25 an explanation how both low fat and low carb work (they are both optimizing protein). Both sides 100% correct, P:E melds the best of both. Then he explains each piece of the Energy side: C, F and P in detail. Explanation of what happens when eat no carbs (carnivores should take a listen).
He recommends 100g net carbs! I'll not reach that but then I do eat high protein, which can cover for the low glucose.

Marty Kendall recommends a minimum of 15% Net Carbs, and mostly that is increased vegetables for me, no where near 100 net carbs yet. Maybe flaxseed or chia seed would help to reach that goal?

https://www.myboundlessbody.com/pod...-ted-naiman-045

Last edited by JEY100 : Fri, Jan-22-21 at 07:10.
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-21, 03:54
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Ted on twitter
If you want a P:E macros estimate for recomposition for the average person based only on weight and gender, without knowing anything about age, activity levels, current body composition, goals, or anything else, check out the update:

Small update on the calculator site: P2EQ.com

LOL - I don't see recomposition happening for me, if I'm supposed to have 160 g protein, 52 g fat, and 120 g carbohydrate.

I'm going to listen to that podcast again... I was busy, and then I fell asleep. Heh. There were some things I slightly disagree with. Maybe it's just because this is one of those body-builder-bro podcasts and that's the audience he was addressing, but his engineering brain seems to be taking him too far to the side of data factors and ignoring some of the important human factors. But I'll have to listen to it again.
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-21, 07:06

Brilliant new conversation between my two current nutrition heroes, Dr Ted and Marty Kendall. Maybe this will answer your questions, Marty used a very methodical interview process, reviewing Ted's theories, primarily through his memes. Very helpful to have Ted explain them and add detail to his meme graphics, like personal fat threshold, insulin is anti-catabolic, etc.

https://www.facebook.com/optimising...232659818402176

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-31-21 at 08:57.
  #100   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-21, 13:33

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Through a round-about tour from Marty Kendall's Optimizing Nutrition, onto KetoGains, I then came across this good interview transcript with Dr. Ted Naiman about the P:E diet.

https://www.ketogains.com/2020/01/thepedietbook/

KT, How to attach photos is explained in the Tech question section, but its clunky. Easier to post a website link or open FB link: https://www.facebook.com/BurnFatNot...756294917861651. I knew exactly which one you meant. I have been particularly happy to have LF yogurt back in my diet f or a protein boost.

Great idea-I like the Facebook link!
  #101   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-21, 13:43

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

I asked to have Dr. Naiman discuss women and protein on Marty Kendall’s live Q&A, but he didn’t do it. His recommendations for women on protein aren’t different, but I have heard so many times that people think his plan is for male bodybuilders that I think he should talk about this more. Personally, I think women tend to have an even harder time losing weight and seem reluctant to try this and would really benefit.

I’m popping in to post the results of my physical about a month ago. These are the best numbers I have ever seen in my life! I have had high blood sugar problems since I was a teenager.

Fasting glucose 87
A1c 5.3
Cholesterol 167
HDL 66
Triglycerides 46
LDL 92

Nearly fainted at the A1c!!

I feel a lot of pressure to stay really “good” and on plan since I have to actually see Dr. Naiman. I noticed in my chart (they sent it to me as part of a new process to confirm/update info) that he has been my doctor since 2007. I really thought it was 2005, but apparently I am not remembering that correctly.
  #102   ^
Old Sat, Feb-06-21, 15:16
Forum Moderator

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Key Tones
I asked to have Dr. Naiman discuss women and protein on Marty Kendall’s live Q&A, but he didn’t do it. His recommendations for women on protein aren’t different, but I have heard so many times that people think his plan is for male bodybuilders that I think he should talk about this more.
I'd like to hear more on that, too - not just because women have a harder time losing weight, but we infamously lean toward lower-protein dieting tactics... almost as if it's more "feminine" to go veg/n and/or subside on salad and rice cakes. Plus - and I could be wrong - but I think that as we age, more women have osteoporosis and muscle wasting than men. I see this as a lack of protein and basic strength training problem, and since he's an advocate of micro-workouts, his ideas are a perfect fit for people like me who are basically the exact opposite of gym bros.

I asked him (or anyone) on twitter about his thoughts on his plan and thyroid function, more specifically body temperature. I didn't get any replies, but maybe it's just unknown. One of the cool side effects of bumping my protein way up is that I'm not freezing cold all the time anymore. This is major! It's something that's annoyed me for years. I've always suspected a thyroid problem despite having a normal TSH, but I didn't have the guts to argue with my doctor and ask her to do a full thyroid panel.

Congrats on your glowing lab numbers.
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Feb-08-21, 09:04

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

May I ask a question of the ladies here? I've been reading Naiman and Kendall a lot lately and am really trying to follow their lead. I can't eat much by way of fiber because when I do, I get flare-ups of diverticulitis.

At 5'6", according to Naiman I should weigh 130 pounds, and thus get 130 g protein, with 65 g from fat and 65 g from carbs (usually my carbs are as low as 12 g, but have gotten to around 40 g several times, and rarely as high as 65 g).

I'd love to hear what you ladies are eating each day to reach your protein goals. Thanks in advance!
  #104   ^
Old Fri, Feb-19-21, 21:40
Think, then Eat.

Plan: LC / L-FODMAP / L-IgG
Stats: 276.4/231.7/199 Male 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 58%

Thanks for posting in here Bawdy. I'm posting just to subscribe as this I'm trying to work things out. I know that HF from the LCHF doesn't work well for me. I've been working to lower fat since I started back on Low Carb in August and this might just be up my alley.
  #105   ^
Old Sat, Feb-20-21, 04:17

Bawdy,
I just posted Keto Lie #6 which is a good explanation of nutrient density and why keeping carbs so low may hinder weight loss.

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showpos...5&postcount=172

Yesterday, day 14, in the Masterclass was a "focus on fiber". Which of the Ted Naiman vegetables and tubers can you eat without a flare?

Marty also wrote this on fiber: https://optimisingnutrition.com/ketogenic-fibre/

Note, Marty’s protein goals aren’t as high as Dr Naiman at first. He suggests you start where you are now and increase protein slowly. But for optimal weight loss it may end up near 40%. https://optimisingnutrition.com/macro-calculator/

What I eat for protein...one of the most nutrient dense while also low calorie is fish and shell fish. I buy the Frozen sockeye salmon filets and canned from Costco. Frozen shrimp. Other filets like cod. Canned tuna. Costco famous rotisserie chicken, both hot and pulled packaged breast meat. Adding my big vegetable boost...the Frozen Stir-fry mix from Costco. It has orange and yellow carrot, water chestnut, lots of green veg. First meal of day (about noon) is very heavy in protein often a stir-fry or salad. Ted has an omelet, Marty calls it the Lower Fat Egg Scramble. 2 whole eggs + unlimited egg whites + veg. And of course beef, ground beef burgers, stew, sauce, etc. Last night, my 70th birthday, was tenderloin filet, grape tomatoes, and asparagus. Usually would also have it with a salad but the asparagus looked too good. See the dinner tips below...mine is there

Another protein boost that Dr Naiman is fine with...Protein Powder in yogurt, with frozen berries, in cottage cheese, etc. These add some nutrient dense carbs and protein, and are a treat.

https://www.lowenergydiet.com/Tips.html

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Feb-20-21 at 04:50.