Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Semi Low-Carb Plans
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Thu, Jul-16-20, 14:24
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Eh... somewhat. I have had to increase the difficulty, yes - moving my legs further away or further apart, trying diamond pushups... but I know I'm not doing enough to get ripped. That's okay because I HATE exercise, and my only goals are to maintain muscle mass/avoid sarcopenia, and maintain bone density. I've never had a bone density scan, so I can't really say how I'm doing in that department. Maybe I'll ask my doc next time I go for a physical, but I'd rather not find out the hard way having a minor fall and breaking a bone.

One of my NSVs in that department is that I can now go from the basement to the 2nd floor with the laundry and not have to stop and take a break on the main floor.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Tue, Jul-21-20, 14:07

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%

I've been following this thread and decided to give it a try. I've been stuck at my set point for months, eating mostly LC and doing lots of chronic cardio. What used to work for me 10 years ago no longer works, and I am post menopausal now. I shifted the focus of my diet to eating more protein. For exercise I started lifting 3 days a week and added hill climbs to my bike rides for the HIIT. For the first time in months I am starting to see the number on the scale drop. Very encouraging.
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Aug-08-20, 17:29

Plan: IF+HP+Cycling+Stillman
Stats: 148/147/130 Female 5’6”
BF:29%/27%/20%-25%
Progress: 6%

~wheeler - keep us posted! I’m trying it too. Slow going, but improving. Will be interested to follow your progress.
  #79   ^
Old Sun, Aug-09-20, 12:39

BF:

Hi NHSB here's a quick update. I have been doing HIIT for a month now. 3 days a week of a hill climb on my bike, and 3 days a week of strength training with nautilus machines. It is my first foray into any kind of working out with weights and I am going slow and careful so as not to injure myself. I am starting from a very low baseline. I have been eating lots of protein, usually over 100 grams and allowing more carbs than usual. Carbs vary from 20-100. I am fasting 36 hours once a week and usually IF until noon or later. I have lost 3 pounds in the past month, which is good for me. I have been stuck at my "set point" and so it feels good to be edging lower.
  #80   ^
Old Mon, Aug-10-20, 05:01

Plan: IF+HP+Cycling+Stillman
Stats: 148/147/130 Female 5’6”
BF:29%/27%/20%-25%
Progress: 6%

That’s great wheeler! I just finished my 12th week of a HIIT program (bodyweight-based strength training circuits x 3 days) while eating high protein (close to Naiman’s 1g per pound actual bodyweight). I just walk (on hills) on non-workout days. I’m down 6 pounds (thrilled with that - I had been stuck at a stubborn point too). More importantly to me, my waist is down 2”, and I’m feeling really great - better energy, better mood. I had been quite sedentary before. I have been playing with cycling in a little fruit or starch on workout days, but have been staying closer to 20g net carbs (from veggies) most days. I typically eat between noon to 6pm and prefer whole foods, but have added a post-workout plain whey protein shake on advice from the exercise program I am following...not quite sure what I think of that...it might be helping to shape muscles, which are becoming more revealed in my arms and legs...If I stall on this approach, I’ll probably drop the whey and go back to fasting more. Really loving the super high protein - it kills my hunger in a way that high fat, moderate protein Keto never did.
  #81   ^
Old Mon, Aug-24-20, 14:48

BF:

Protein plus HIIT update: I am continuing to lose about a pound a week. Slow and steady wins the race! I have been reading up on whey protein isolate, I think I may try some of that. I am a post menopausal woman and am thrilled to watch the scale inch downwards below my "setpoint".
  #82   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-20, 21:36

Plan: Dr Ted Naiman + IF
Stats: 320/158/140 Female 5'10" age 56
BF:
Progress: 90%

Hi all-have been away for a while. Just an update-Dr. Naiman’s P:E plan is still working extremely well for me!

I’m now down 120 pounds! Age 55, and still dropping.

I’ve been doing HIIT on a rowing machine for a few weeks-it is AWESOME!

I’ve posted my before/after pics on ~tednaiman Twitter feed. I’ll see if I can upload before/after pics under the success stories portion here on this forum.
  #83   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-20, 21:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSB
Hi Keytones!

Do you mind if I ask a question regarding exercise?

I just heard a podcast with Dr. Naiman in which the interviewer (the Diet Doctor guy, Bret Scher?) asked about daily exercise - “isn’t recovery an issue?” I would love to create a daily exercise routine (I am a huge creature of habit), but the common view seems to be that daily intense exercise is a bad idea for recovery. Dr. Naiman seemed to be saying that he thinks daily is ok for recovery as long as the volume is low enough.

Does that sound right? Can you do daily intense exercise to failure (following Dr. Naiman’s protocol)?

Thanks!

Sorry I’ve been away. I did have some problems with soreness at first, it gets better. Do take a break if you get sore! I heard him say this and that it gets better, and it has rung true for me. I don’t know where at this point.

He says the goal is daily exercise, but a lot of us will miss some days so ending up at 3-4 days per week is great!
  #84   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-20, 21:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheeler
Protein plus HIIT update: I am continuing to lose about a pound a week. Slow and steady wins the race! I have been reading up on whey protein isolate, I think I may try some of that. I am a post menopausal woman and am thrilled to watch the scale inch downwards below my "setpoint".

This is really awesome!!!!
  #85   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-20, 21:44

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHSB
That’s great wheeler! I just finished my 12th week of a HIIT program (bodyweight-based strength training circuits x 3 days) while eating high protein (close to Naiman’s 1g per pound actual bodyweight). I just walk (on hills) on non-workout days. I’m down 6 pounds (thrilled with that - I had been stuck at a stubborn point too). More importantly to me, my waist is down 2”, and I’m feeling really great - better energy, better mood. I had been quite sedentary before. I have been playing with cycling in a little fruit or starch on workout days, but have been staying closer to 20g net carbs (from veggies) most days. I typically eat between noon to 6pm and prefer whole foods, but have added a post-workout plain whey protein shake on advice from the exercise program I am following...not quite sure what I think of that...it might be helping to shape muscles, which are becoming more revealed in my arms and legs...If I stall on this approach, I’ll probably drop the whey and go back to fasting more. Really loving the super high protein - it kills my hunger in a way that high fat, moderate protein Keto never did.

Really fantastic!!!!

If you check Dr. Naiman’s youtube channel, he shows how he makes whey shakes
  #86   ^
Old Sat, Sep-19-20, 21:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
Hey NHSB. I'm not KeyTones, but I can confirm that you can do daily strength training and not get DOMS. That used to be one of my excuses for not doing it daily. I think the lower volume and limiting the time to 10 minutes is part of it, but I think another part for me is having eliminated almost all seed oils. I did this about a year ago because of bad shoulder tendinitis that just wouldn't go away, and now I can do a basic workout every day - no soreness - for basically the first time in my life. Oh, and no exacerbation of the tendinitis or other chronic inflammatory stuff like the arthritis in my spine or carpal tunnel syndrome.

I don't have a pull-up bar and I won't be spending money any time soon, so my basic workout is from Dr Chatergee found here. It's pushups (I do them against the kitchen counter), squats, tricep dips and calf raises. I alternate between that and simple dumbell stuff + lunges because I think if you're going to keep it short and sweet, you should try to avoid just doing the same thing over and over, or else it's only certain muscles getting stronger and adapting too well. I throw in yoga here and there, too.

Amazing work out program! Love this!
  #87   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-20, 04:45

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Interesting work out
Unfortunately, for me, there is a heavy emphasis on functional knees
As a person with dislocated kneecaps from 4 failed knee replacements, I cannot bend my knees while standing.
The arm and tip toeing exercises are doable
Thanks for the link
Only 5 minutes a day?
  #88   ^
Old Sun, Sep-20-20, 10:34

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr. Naiman’s interview for the low-carb summit was posted free today as a preview. It is a good explanation of his PE diet and thoughts on weight loss, insulin, etc. https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=9383748
  #89   ^
Old Sun, Nov-01-20, 11:51

BF:

I'm popping back in with another update.

I'm now down 126 pounds, and still dropping. Happy with the progress.

I'm doing well with the rowing machine (I use rowing machine HIIT videos on YouTube). I'm able to do 25 male push ups now. I still can't do pull ups - I just hang from the pull up bar. I do pull up exercises with an exercise band threaded through an old school stackable stepper (pull up from below).

I don't know how to post pictures on this site - so I'll describe a really great meme that Dr. Naiman has posted that I love.

Humans eat, on average four pounds of food daily.

Smoked salmon: one pound = 500 calories
9 eggs omlette: one pound = 550 calories
boiled potatoes: one pound = 300 calories
greek yogurt: one pound = 250 calories

He then points out that four donuts or a half pound of potato chips has about 1600 calories (not that I would eat these). I think what is more telling is like pizza, which is something I could easily trip up with, especially since this is something that before COVID used to show up at work all the time). I could absolutely eat a tremendous amount of pizza over the course of a day (or, back in the day, I would even eat leftovers cold in the morning).

Something to mull over!

I definitely eat a lot of greek yogurt, eggs, and make chaffles with either reduced fat or fat-free cheese. The fat from regular mozzarella just cooks out and leaks into the machine anyway. I also eat a lot of whatever lean roast is on sale and eat that with stewed tomotoes.

Happy November!!
  #90   ^
Old Sat, Jan-16-21, 12:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Through a round-about tour from Marty Kendall's Optimizing Nutrition, onto KetoGains, I then came across this good interview transcript with Dr. Ted Naiman about the P:E diet.

https://www.ketogains.com/2020/01/thepedietbook/

KT, How to attach photos is explained in the Tech question section, but its clunky. Easier to post a website link or open FB link: https://www.facebook.com/BurnFatNot...756294917861651. I knew exactly which one you meant. I have been particularly happy to have LF yogurt back in my diet f or a protein boost.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Jan-16-21 at 13:32.