Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

View Poll Results: How Has Being At Home More Affected Your Compliance?
It's been easier. 14 40.00%
About the same. 10 28.57%
It's been harder. 10 28.57%
Not applicable to me/no vote 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

#31   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-20, 18:22

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I think I've heard ground flax seeds can work too. I actually do have chia seeds around, but since I had the psyllium I used that. I avoid flaxseeds because of their estrogenic properties. I might have to try the recipe one time with chia and see how that comes out.

I took two of the keto rolls this morning and sliced them up thin, as if making slices of bread, and then used them as bread, along with butter, Canadian bacon, and cheddar cheese, to make grilled cheese and bacon sandwiches! They came out super. My cousin made me a big bowl of her homemade salsa the other day (primarily tomatoes) in exchange for the 10 cloth facemasks I made for her and her family, so I took a small bowl of the salsa, which I had with my grilled cheese sandwiches.

When I was a kid one of the "comfort" meals my mom and dad used to make occasionally on cold winter days, was grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. Of course the soup was typical canned Campbell's tomato, the bread was standard white bread, the cheese was pre-sliced American, the "butter" was probably margarine. But we liked it.

And what I had today tasted similar and fantastic and was considerably healthier.

When I have a craving for grilled cheese and tomato soup, I'll take one of the little 8 oz cans of plain tomato sauce (make sure it doesn't have any added sugar), and water it down to make a soup consistency. I make my grilled cheese on oopsies.

I might try making those rolls someday if I get some chia or plain psyllium.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-20, 20:10

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I get my psyllium from i-herb. So far it hasn't turned anything purple
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Apr-15-20, 05:05

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25

My resolve is fine.

However, I am alone with my 12-year-old daughter, who does eat carbs.

And we've been under hard-quarantine for a while, because she had a cough/sore throat and fever.

We'd already been having financial trouble when this started, which meant that my "stockpiles" were reduced.

Haven't had coconut oil (usually an ingredient in the morning coffee) for a month & a half. (I'd let my Costco membership expire, and hadn't found a good replacement-source when all this started.)

We're out of nuts.

Produce is an issue... and so are all the little "snacky-things" I turn to when I want "a bite, but not a meal".

I'm starting to get a bit desperate. There are times when I just plain need something dry & crunchy. (Whether that's nuts, or my "whisps", or seaweed snacks.) (No, that's not always a salt craving, because I usually buy raw nuts.)

I'm currently up about 7 lbs, from a couple of cheats this week.

However, once quarantine is over, I'll be going back to work in an Amazon warehouse, so should burn off the glycogen with no issue.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 04:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
When I have a craving for grilled cheese and tomato soup, I'll take one of the little 8 oz cans of plain tomato sauce (make sure it doesn't have any added sugar), and water it down to make a soup consistency.

What a great idea!

I got some fresh coconut flour to try the Diet Doctor keto rolls recipe. It will be a good thing for DH, who isn't as hardcore as myself.

Yet
  #35   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 07:53

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
When I have a craving for grilled cheese and tomato soup, I'll take one of the little 8 oz cans of plain tomato sauce (make sure it doesn't have any added sugar), and water it down to make a soup consistency
I do the same thing with the tinier cans (156 ml = 5.5 oz) of tomato paste, which only have one ingredient and an intense tomato taste. They are cheaper and often on sale, and I don't like paying extra for the water in bigger "sauce" and "soup" cans.
  #36   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 15:12

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I do the same thing with the tinier cans (156 ml = 5.5 oz) of tomato paste, which only have one ingredient and an intense tomato taste. They are cheaper and often on sale, and I don't like paying extra for the water in bigger "sauce" and "soup" cans.
For years I've generally kept a bunch of small cans of tomato paste around. But now that I'm locked down and avoiding stores I checked my pantry area for my canned supplied and see that I'm totally out of the paste!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 17:13

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGr
My resolve is fine.

I'm starting to get a bit desperate. There are times when I just plain need something dry & crunchy. (Whether that's nuts, or my "whisps", or seaweed snacks.) (No, that's not always a salt craving, because I usually buy raw nuts.)

I like pork rinds for the 'crisp' craving. Its hard for me because I gave up dairy to lose weight due to intolerance. I just can't lose while eating dairy. I've gained 2 lbs so far and that's just from mostly not being active and being stuck inside.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 19:47

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Nuts are a staple for me. I buy big jugs of mixed nuts, cashews, walnuts, pistachios and macadamias at a warehouse club store. I make my own mix out of that. I have enough and the store keeps them well stocked.

I'm lucky, I live on a dead-end street. If I walk from my house to one end, back to the other and return 20 times it's 4 miles. I can do this. If my neighbors are out I can talk to them and stay 6 feet away, and still get exercise.

The Florida weather is fine most of the time, but the rainy season is approaching early this year. I'll have to time my walks to the lulls, but the humidity will be high. I'll do it anyway.

I'm unemployed, and eating less, so I'm down to 177 now. I might make this a habit even after things go back to whatever the new normal will be.

Bob
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 05:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayflowers
I like pork rinds for the 'crisp' craving.

For whatever reason, I only buy pork rinds when I'm "traveling". (ie: in the car for a long time, to be eaten in the car)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
Nuts are a staple for me. I buy big jugs of mixed nuts, cashews, walnuts, pistachios and macadamias

Nuts are a staple for me, too. Typically, if I don't have access to nuts, I don't really lose. (Though I do get fulll of.... poo... when I eat them, which makes my weight look slightly higher.)

One thing, though: Be careful of the cashews. Their carb-count is so high, I personally consider them an "off-plan" food. You might already know, but I thought I'd give you a heads-up. (8-9 net carbs/oz, as opposed to, say, 3 for almonds.)

In other news, my CO arrived yesterday, and is back in my coffee this morning.

Sipping it as I type.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 05:58

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Another caution: cashews are also loaded with lectins. They were one of my craving foods, and now ONE will give me nausea.

I stocked up on pork rinds because variations of the board founder's French Toast recipe are so versatile. Here's the original:

http://www.lowcarb.ca/recipes/rrecipe012.html

In my version, I just smash up pork rinds, add eggs for a thick batter, use heavy cream to thin. Then I throw in low sugar fruit for sweetening and grilling it in butter is all I need. This is now my mug muffin/pancake/treat recipe that is even good when leftover.

This is an especially good way to enjoy those 2 for 1 berry deals which don't keep. By making them into my Pork Rind Griddle cakes, I get all the tasty goodness.
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 06:45

I think I equate pork-rinds now to chips, before.

(Chips -- tortilla, not potato -- are something I really enjoyed, but never kept on hand, so I couldn't over-indulge.) That recipe looks really tasty, though! (Mentally, "doctoring" it by adding a bit of vanilla.) (One of my favorite ways to suggest sweetness without actual sweet is vanilla and/or cinnamon)

(For me, this would be a dinner-thing, though, since breakfast is our personal version of BP coffee. My breakfast has to be effortless to make AND consume. In the bottom of the cup goes an egg, some CO, and heavy cream, whipped with immersion-blender, and coffee poured in. I know some on here disapprove of the idea of BP coffee, but for a lot of reasons, it really works for my household.)
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 06:58

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 205/150/150 Female 5'5"
BF:35
Progress: 100%

Quote:
In the bottom of the cup goes an egg, some CO, and heavy cream, whipped with immersion-blender, and coffee poured in. I know some on here disapprove of the idea of BP coffee, but for a lot of reasons, it really works for my household.)

I cannot drink BP coffee. I cannot lose weight when I consume it.. It tastes so good though. Probably age related, but I had to give up dairy because I wasn't able to lose.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 08:32

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
<...snip...>
One thing, though: Be careful of the cashews. Their carb-count is so high, I personally consider them an "off-plan" food. You might already know, but I thought I'd give you a heads-up. (8-9 net carbs/oz, as opposed to, say, 3 for almonds.)<...>

That's why they go into the mix with other nuts. Macadamia nuts have a high fat content and that's why they get added. Walnuts are healthy but never in mixed nuts so I put them in as well. Pistachios get added for health and taste along with a few Brazil nuts and some pecans. So in the mix I get to taste the cachews but don't OD on them.

I don't put peanuts in the mix, not for myself, but my DW doesn't care for them.

Funny thing about me, is if I eat bacon, I always gain a pound. In two days it goes away. I guess it makes me hold water.

Bob
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 09:42

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Pork rinds topped with shredded cheese and red pepper flakes. 'Nuff said.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 09:59

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
Pork rinds topped with shredded cheese and red pepper flakes. 'Nuff said.

Now that's an appetizer! We're having an appetizer dinner tonight and watching the Hitchcock movie, Rear Window. Pork rinds, Old Bay chicken wings, and a variety of cheeses will be the grazing targets during the flick.