Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 13:34

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I would look at the 50-70+ which shows close to 50% of the cases.
But also realize that those people tested are already sick with symptoms so it's not a true percentage of the total population, but a percentage of the people already sick.

Actually, to correct myself after looking again at the graph, 50-70+ is 75% of the positive cases in that state.

Oh course every state is going to be very different, even every region within large states will differ in the US.

When you consider the fact that you could put most of Europe within the land mass of the US, it's understandable that we would see this as we also see with every different country in Europe with different levels of infection for whatever the reasons are, of which there are many, I'm sure.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 14:38

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

New clue from the TR aircraft carrier.
60% of the positive case results in sailors without any symptoms.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...t-idUSKCN21Y2GB

So in healthy young people the virus can spread without anyone being aware it is happening.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Apr-16-20, 14:54

BF:

Since that's not a normal living environment and they brought it back on board from a stop in an country experiencing high spread, I would have thought a-symptomatic would be higher.
Remember, their level of exposure must have been concentrated and repeated considering the level of density in population and the communal living environment.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 05:22

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Since that's not a normal living environment and they brought it back on board from a stop in an country experiencing high spread, I would have thought a-symptomatic would be higher.
Remember, their level of exposure must have been concentrated and repeated considering the level of density in population and the communal living environment.

Even with a nasty cold with no precautions, some people in the office won't come down with it. Even though they might catch the next one.

I think it comes down to genetic susceptibility, too, which we have barely started investigating. After the Black Death, it turned out most Europeans had a shifted genetic pattern, because after waves and recurrences, they were the survivors.

That's going to influence how we catch it further down the chain of inheritance. Part of why new diseases are so virulent. There's no inherited resistance to it.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 06:02

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

That's going to influence how we catch it further down the chain of inheritance. Part of why new diseases are so virulent. There's no inherited resistance to it.

I've been thinking about how native populations were decimated when European explorers "discovered" the new world and brought their diseases with them. I remember reading a book about this many years ago. The horror of what this means is sinking in in a much more powerful way for me now.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 08:22
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Just to make the day a bit brighter, the melting glaciers will release long-dormant viral strains. The most recent archeological finding in Norway:

https://www.ecowatch.com/melting-ic...2645732898.html

Quote:
"We sort of hit the motherlode."

They found nearly 1,000 artifacts that run the gamut from 300 to 1500 AD, with the mountain pass falling out of use after the Black Death in the medieval period. The researchers used carbon dating to pinpoint when each finding is from. The bulk of what they collected comes from the period around 1000 AD at the height of the Viking era when trade and mobility in the region peaked, according to The Guardian."
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 11:52

BF:

My mother loved reading about Egypt and the pyramids. She would tell me that when they opened some of the pyramids for archeological purposes they had people in the group coming down with mysterious ailments and many died.
The thought was that they had unearthed long buried viruses.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 12:20

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
I was reading yesterday that folks with high blood pressure and diabetes tend to be the ones who do much worse and account for many of the Covid fatalities. Apparently it’s known that Covid works by binding to the ACE2 receptors in your lungs, and there are certain high BP meds (the ACE inhibitors) and certain diabetes meds (not sure which ones) which increase the number of ACE2 receptors in your body, giving the virus more things to latch on to!

And then I found this at one of the links posted above (Protective role of vit D, from grassroots)

Quote:
19:30: Vitamin D – How it can protect

Reduces production of renin (therefore reducing inflammation in lungs)
Increases the expression of ACE2 (protects the lungs from injury)
Increases production of natural antibiotics and antivirals cathelicidins and defensins (inhibits viral attack to the cells and ACE2 receptors)

So now I am confused. Certain meds increase the number of ACE2 receptors, and are therefore BAD. Vitamin D Increases the the expression of ACE2, and is therefore GOOD.

I read this negative fact about Vit D somewhere else about a month ago (I thought it was Chris Kresser, but now I can't find it), and stopped taking it (although in general I am a firm believer in the good of Vit D, and usually take 10,000 iu in the winter, and half that in summer). The weather is warming up, and the sun getting higher, so I will be starting my full body sun bathing again soon (maybe today), which I do when the weather co-operates every summer, but will probably not be taking anymore supplemental D until I get a good reason why the two statements above are not contradictory, and/or the coronavirus is just a horrible memory.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Apr-17-20, 20:40

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

According to what I learned this morning Vit D is a preventative. Trying to find link to the excellent explanation..... JEY posted it on anither covid thread. One of three links she listed.
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 05:10

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Demi posted this article about Vitamin D https://www.grassrootshealth.net/bl...-dose-immunity/. But Vit D is everywhere in the news the past few days, including the Wall Street Journal.
The former CDC director, Tom Frieden, talked about it on Fox News and interest exploded. https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/for...-with-vitamin-d

Lead to the WSJ opinion, April 17, 2020. By V. Thakkar, MD.

Quote:
Black Americans are dying of Covid-19 at a higher rate than whites. Socioeconomic factors such as gaps in access to health care no doubt play a role. But another possible factor has been largely overlooked: vitamin D deficiency that weakens the immune system.

Researchers last week released the first data supporting this link. They found that the nations with the highest mortality rates—Italy, Spain and France—also had the lowest average vitamin D levels among countries affected by the pandemic.

Vitamin D is produced by a reaction in the skin to the ultraviolet rays in sunlight. Many Americans are low in vitamin D, but those with darker skin are at a particular disadvantage because melanin inhibits the vitamin’s production. As an Indian- American, my skin type is Fitzpatrick IV, or “moderate brown.” Compared with my white friends, I need double or triple the sun exposure to synthesize the same amount of vitamin D, so I supplement with 5,000 international units of vitamin D3 daily, which maintains my level in the normal range. Most African- Americans are Fitzpatrick type V or VI, so they would need even more.

This requires further study, but earlier research is suggestive. In 2018 a longitudinal study by researchers at Massachusetts General Hospital looked at whether vitamin D supplementation had any health benefits, specifically in regard to heart disease and cancer. The overall conclusion was that it didn’t, for most people. Yet buried in the results was one that should have made headlines: Vitamin D supplementation in African-Americans reduced cancer risk 23%. How? Cancer cells develop regularly in most animals, including humans, as the result of toxic injuries or glitches in DNA replication, but a healthy immune system destroys them. There is evidence that low vitamin D levels make the immune system go blind....more

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Apr-18-20 at 07:16.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 07:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Also, don't think sun exposure is enough: with age as well as skin pigmentation, it is not.

Quote:
The Problems of Vitamin D Insufficiency in Older People

Vitamin D is provided by skin synthesis by UVB-irradiation from summer sunshine and to a small extent by absorption from food. However, these processes become less efficient with age. Loss of mobility or residential care restricts solar exposure. Reduced appetite and financial problems often add to these problems. Thus, hypovitaminosis D is common world-wide, but is more common and more severe in older people.

Non-classical effects of vitamin D, depending on serum circulating 25-hydroxyvitamin D concentrations, are present in most non-bony tissues; disorders associated with hypovitaminosis D include increased risks of sepsis [bacterial, mycobacterial and viral], cardiovascular and metabolic disorders [e.g. hyperlipidemia, type 2 diabetes mellitus, acute vascular events, dementia, stroke and heart failure]. Many cancer risks are associated with vitamin D inadequacy, though causality is accepted only for colo-rectal cancer.

I would imagine older people with darker skin would have the worst outcomes.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 08:29

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

This explains in great detail the effect of Vitamin D and its relationship to ACE 2, based on scientific papers which are listed. For lay-people.

https://youtu.be/VQkx06k7AKk

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sat, Apr-18-20 at 10:29.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 09:09

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Good video on vitamin D with sound supplemental dosage guidelines. Thank you for posting.

I believe people understand that vitamin D is simply part of the arsenal of many health elements necessary to improve immunity. Other factors discussed on this forum include achieving overall metabolic health with effective blood sugar management being a good target to get started. As mentioned previously, I take a daily D3, get as much sun as possible (seasonally), and practice a healthy WOE lifestyle. Benefits from all in a holistic approach can be very effective.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Apr-18-20, 10:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Here's an Ivor video with Dr. Nadir Ali explaining the ACE2 conundrum with coronavirus. I've seen other recommendations that ACE inhibitors & angiotensin II receptor blockers can blunt the virus. I tend to be very skeptical about this, as the body compensates for any homeostatic disruption, and it appears to be the case with covid19. I think it would be a dream of the pharma manufacturers for these types of HBP drugs to be effective prevention against the virus, so we all need to be careful, review the latest findings, and make our own decisions based on this information.

https://thefatemperor.com/ep64-nadi...g-interactions/
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Apr-23-20, 08:10
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

New article suggesting that ACE2 inhibitors may be gasoline on the fire. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN2251GQ