Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 04:09

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Great for spam sandwiches, spam and eggs for breakfast (with lots of high fructose corn syrup or sugar ketchup!), and spam musobi. All of that is in my rear view mirror with LCHF / ketogenic living - which may last as long as supplies (in house and mail order) last what with Coronovirus aka COVID-19 aka SARS-CoV-2.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 17:37

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

What is modified potato starch and is it safe to eat in Spam?
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 20:06

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
What is modified potato starch and is it safe to eat in Spam?
Spam's classic luncheon meat provides 174 calories per 2-ounce portion. Each serving provides 15 grams of fat, 2 grams of carbohydrate and 7 grams of protein. I suspect the carbs come from the processed potato starch, not the "meat". Turkey spam also has 2g carbs/serving, but Lite Spam and Spam Hot dogs have only 1g/serving.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 00:30

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have two cans of Spam in the pantry. I think of them like an insurance policy. You don't need it until you do!

With all of the pantry and freezer talk threads a few weeks ago I decided to fill both. Good thing I started gradually then because my pantry was truly empty with the exception of tuna and sardines, as well as the freezer.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 03:15

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I went to the store and the fresh meat was wiped out. I was lucky to get ONE package of grass fed burger. Though we have a freezer reserve we will dip into now.

However, the canned fish was fine, and I stocked up on that. I have the mayo
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 06:34

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I have two cans of Spam in the pantry. I think of them like an insurance policy. You don't need it until you do!

My mother had a jar of pickled pig's feet as pantry insurance. Having no idea how old it was, we threw it out after she died.

I used to have a few things that were borderline edible, but I finally fed them to the chickens. Do chickens have taste buds? They eat almost everything!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 10:17

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I do miss my chickens, at least we always had eggs and they loved my veggie scraps.

Oh and DH went to the store yesterday and found some good meat but the veggie dept was wiped out with only one onion in the whole dept.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 11:11

Plan: LerC, TRE, IF
Stats: 150/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

#24   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 12:41

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambulo
Haha, thank you for posting this link. I've always adored Monty Python ever since I first saw them in the 1970s and of course remembered this skit from then. I've been meaning to try to look it up but you saved me the trouble.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 12:43

BF:

Quote:
I do miss my chickens, at least we always had eggs and they loved my veggie scraps.
I've never had my own chickens but my nephew and his girlfriend, who live about 20 minutes away from me, just got a few chicks. I'm hoping they may wind up with an abundance of eggs but of course it will be a long time before these little ones start to lay.

I had a friend here who had chickens and occasionally gave me eggs, but she moved to Connecticut a few years ago.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Mar-19-20, 17:28

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Oh and DH went to the store yesterday and found some good meat but the veggie dept was wiped out with only one onion in the whole dept.

Went shopping today - there were a surprising number of people out & about - especially at the stores. At my regular grocery things looked pretty normal, tho I didn't check all the aisles. Even Walmart looked pretty normal - empty shelves are normal for them - until I got to the tp aisle. It was wiped out! (pun intended ) I even took a pic of it to send to the kids.

Our regular grocery has a couple days with 2 hours set aside for seniors & at risk people. Think I might go during that time - it should be less crowded.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, Mar-25-20, 14:51
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/179/130 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress:

I've been eating Spam nearly every day since the shortage of meat (people strip the shelves). It's not too awful when used with cheese, avocado, tomato and some kind of sauce. It's still low carb and satisfying. I used to use vienna sausages for a low carb high protein snack until they forgot how to make them palatable. And I stopped buying cold cuts because of too many reports of bacteria. Spam is cooked and sealed so it is sterile. That was important to me. I didn't grow up with it and never cared much for it but it's not all that different from Lyoner sausage in taste. I'll keep buying it as long as they sell it. In this pandemic I was starting to stress eat carbs and I can't afford to do that as all starch and sugar turned to fat on me. Now I've got proof of that, back to low carb. If people start hoarding Spam the way they hoard tuna, well, I may have to go to sardines. No one is hoarding those yet.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 04:41

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Quote:
I may have to go to sardines. No one is hoarding those yet.
Makes me wish I actually liked sardines. Maybe I should try again??
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 06:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

A ray of light. I like sardines
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Mar-26-20, 10:29

BF:

I do like the skinless, boneless sardines, at least the ones from Trader Joe's packed in olive oil. I have cans of those around. But I bought some "Bar Harbor" branded sardines and opened a can the other day for a change of pace and they were *nasty nasty nasty*. Looked like poop in a can. Took a few bites and was gagging so thought "why am I torturing myself?". I tried giving them to my cats but even the cats wouldn't eat them! Just flicked them out of the bowl all over the floor.