Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-20, 01:32

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

The latest podcast from Max Lugavere:

Quote:
COVID-19, Immune Supplements, Quarantine Wellness, and Audience Q&A | Molly Maloof, MD

In the episode, we discuss the latest science of COVID-19, ways to stay well in mind and body amidst the chaos, and more. In the hour and fifteen minute-long chat you'll discover:
Practical prevention strategies
Mental wellness strategies while social distancing
How "social" distance may actually harm us
An important discussion on ACE inhibitor drugs for blood pressure or NSAIDs like ibuprofen
The nutrient you NEED to know about if you take zinc
Other nutraceuticals (vitamins and phytonutrients) for immune support
How to stay healthy while grocery shopping
Supermarket staples Dr. Maloof prioritizes to stay healthy
The real purpose of "flattening the curve"
Can you get re-infected if you've already recovered from COVID-19?
And so much more.

> CLICK HERE to listen on Apple Devices

> CLICK HERE to listen on Spotify

Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-20, 07:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This was an interesting podcast. Thanks Demi. Heard it while driving around to senior hours
  #93   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-20, 08:01

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

This short video from Yale claims that glucose is better than ketones when you're sick with a virus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxDuTfrP2Q
  #94   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-20, 08:27

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
This short video from Yale claims that glucose is better than ketones when you're sick with a virus.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYxDuTfrP2Q

Interesting! Not that I'm gonna run out and buy a bunch of sugar. I might if I get infected by SARS CoV-2 tho - I think the initial thread idea is about being "protected from virus" which may or may not be the same as what's the best dietary strategy, if any, to work with your body if you do happen to get infected.

Time and recovered cases may bear some fruit (yea, pun) on this
  #95   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-20, 09:17

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

This is from the DietDoctor article.

Quote:
Fasting
With all the focus on how certain foods affect your immune system, you may also wonder, what about fasting? One study in mice showed that fasting, or more specifically refeeding after a fast, restored immune function that had been suppressed by chemotherapy.26 During the fasting period itself, however, it appeared to impair the immune system. In addition, the beneficial response to refeeding may be lessened in the elderly.27

These are very important caveats. Over the long term, intermittent fasting and refeeding may boost the immune system. However, during an acute pandemic, where the immediate risk of infection is higher than usual, it may not be a good time to try fasting, given the potential for a temporary decrease in immunity.

This may sound surprising for those who have heard the phrase, “starve a fever.” The theory is that humans have evolved to not feel hungry and purposely avoid food during an acute illness as a protective mechanism, which may in turn limit nutrients the virus needs to replicate. To be clear, this is all conjecture without any quality supporting evidence.

Other evidence suggests that ketones are beneficial for immune function, and perhaps that could be why some recommend fasting.28 But considering all of the data together, if that were the case, you would likely be better off eating a keto diet and not fasting.

Based on the limited data available, we suggest not fasting longer than 36 hours during the outbreak of the coronavirus, especially if you are older than 60 years old. It’s logical that you can continue with shorter-duration time-restricted eating, although there is no data on this either.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/coronavirus
  #96   ^
Old Tue, Mar-31-20, 09:43

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Should I contract Covid19, the last approach I would take would be fasting. From what I hear related to me from a close friend who is now just getting over the virus in question, one would have other priorities. Good, sound advice from DD, and they preface their information with the words "evidence suggests." It seems logical that those who are physically, metabolically, and mentally healthy may have a better outcome, but we truly don't know, and I for one don't want to test it.
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Apr-02-20, 03:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

The US has more serious cases even in young adults. The culprit? Metabolic dysfunction.

Quote:
American #COVID19 cases are tracking far younger than has been seen elsewhere.
Why?
2/3s of the U.S. is overweight or obese, & nearly 1/2 of adults have high blood pressure. In Philadelphia, 56% of conf'ed cases are <40.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ounger-some-die

The two largest risk factors are high blood pressure and diabetes.

Vaping among young people is also discussed, since China and France have high rates of smoking. But we all know of fit and active people in their forties who suddenly have a heart attack.

It's the SAD. Bad for everyone. If research from this pandemic keeps pointing that way, we have even more reason to think our low carb diet is good for us.
  #98   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-20, 20:33

BF:

Here's an excellent video from Mike Mutzel at High Intensity Health addressing the topic of limiting inflammation and possible advantages of boosting the immune system in the context of Covid19:

https://highintensityhealth.com/ext...y-and-covid-19/

He refers to IF time frames as ranging from 12-18 hours or what I would refer to as time restricted eating to IF longer than 24 hours. Good coverage of a topic of interest currently.
  #99   ^
Old Sun, Apr-05-20, 21:31

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

during fasting: decreased immune function
refeeding: increases immune function

Fasting and the corona virus in the time of Covid-19 3-27-20 [ dietdoctor video ]

Can fasting or time restricted eating help you stay safe from the coronavirus? Maybe and maybe not. In this video we explore the data and what it may mean for you starting or continuing with a fasting regimen.
  #100   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-20, 08:03

BF:

It all comes down to how fasting is defined. Is it more related to Time Restricted Feeding (Eating) that many refer to as IF, or is it longer anywhere from 24 hours to more? The potential of confusion from these loose terms doesn't help provide sound guidelines, and we certainly don't have definitive answers. Using different terminology, DD, HIH, and others may be discussing the same things, as they suggest that longer fasts aren't necessarily a good thing related to enhancing immunity, but the terms used are not uniform.
  #101   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-20, 08:32

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

My opinion only but I think that, at this time, one should avoid doing anything that adds additional unnecessary stress on the body. Long fasts definitely add extra stress. Not a problem in ordinary times but, not a good idea when one is already stressed out due to the world situation. Shorter fasts (12 to 18 hours) are probably are not too stressful, especially if one is already used to time-restricted eating.
  #102   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-20, 08:46

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The two largest risk factors are high blood pressure and diabetes.
Blood pressure is one of those weird issues for me. Mine is normal at home (and my BP machine has been compared against my doctor’s and they are very close). I keep daily BP logs for my doctor. 114/75 this morning, 117/74 yesterday, etc. But whenever I go to a doctor it skyrockets! Even up to numbers like 200/100! As an example a few years ago I developed a yeast infection after a course of antibiotics. I was trying to self treat but not having much luck.

My daily BP that morning had been 114/72. But I finally decided I should go see my GYN, called and was given an appointment for 4 PM that afternoon. And by 2 PM my BP was up to 150/85. At 3:45, just before I left for the appt, it was 190/95! And by the time I got there for my appt it was 200/100. The gyn said she couldn’t even let me go home with a number like that and I would have to go to the hospital! Unbeknownst to me she even called for an ambulance and had a group of EMTs come rushing in with all their equipment! And that stressed me so my BP went even higher.

Fortunately they couldn’t force me to go to the hospital. I told them I wanted my BP to be normal and if I went to the hospital it wouldn’t be, but if I went home it soon would be. So I insisted going home and while it did take a few hours due to the stress by bedtime my BP was normal again.

So whenever you have to fill out a medical form and they ask if you have high blood pressure I never know how to answer it. If it’s normal 99% of the time and high 1% of the time, but the 1% is always when a doctor or nurse takes it what do you say? If you say YES the next thing they ask is what meds are you taking for it, but I’m not taking an BP meds.

So if I got this damn virus and had to be hospitalized my BP would go through the roof and what would happen then? I’m just praying I don’t get it. I’m totally self-isolating. It’s definitely in my area. More people locally getting diagnosed every day, some have died, many younger than I am. I keep hoping keto will help but my FBG numbers are still not where I’d like them to be. I miss my grandkids. Who knows how long this will go on?

Last edited by Merpig : Mon, Apr-06-20 at 08:55.
  #103   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-20, 10:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
My opinion only but I think that, at this time, one should avoid doing anything that adds additional unnecessary stress on the body. Long fasts definitely add extra stress. Not a problem in ordinary times but, not a good idea when one is already stressed out due to the world situation. Shorter fasts (12 to 18 hours) are probably are not too stressful, especially if one is already used to time-restricted eating.

I agree. I've been doing 12 hours easily, often more. But I've also had these spells of extreme hungriness. Fortunately I'm only buying low carb food
  #104   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-20, 11:17

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel

Good advice. We are not currently living in "ordinary times."
  #105   ^
Old Mon, Apr-06-20, 11:26

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I agree. I've been doing 12 hours easily, often more. But I've also had these spells of extreme hungriness. Fortunately I'm only buying low carb food

Same here, I don't even want to think about what might happen with ice cream in the house.