Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 10:59

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Also a notice from France that NSAIDS and cortisol seem to make matters worse: anti-inflammatories might not be the best things to be taking right now.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Mar-17-20, 11:52

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Also a notice from France that NSAIDS and cortisol seem to make matters worse: anti-inflammatories might not be the best things to be taking right now.
So I wonder if we can take natural anti-inflammatories? Everything I read says take Tylenol and not ibuprofen, but I refuse to even have Tylenol in the house. It's useless to me and scary. The "recommended" dose does absolutely nothing for me. (as one friend told her doctor who recommended Tylenol to her after she had surgery: "Why don't you just recommend I take M&Ms. It would work just as well as Tylenol does and would taste a lot better")

And if I took enough Tylenol to actually work against the pain it would probably destroy my liver and kill me. Very fine line between an effective dose and a fatal dose.

But in just googling natural anti-inflammatories one of the ones that came up was Curcumin. I just happen to have a big bottle of Curcumin and I'd forgotten why I even bought it. But I just went and took a tablet and will not probably add it to my daily routine (things like C, D3, K3, magnesium, garlic oil, Berberine, Hibiscus, and probably a host of other things right now!). I figure it can't hurt while I'm still virus-free!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 05:52

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%

Undoctored and the Age of Pandemics
https://blog.undoctored.com/undocto...e-of-pandemics/

Quote:
But I predict that our Undoctored lifestyle provides substantial protection against any virus. This is because:
  • Wheat and grain elimination reduces body-wide inflammation—One of the primary drivers of this is reversal of gliadin-driven intestinal permeability, an effect reflected in reduced blood levels of the zonulin protein. Airway inflammation is reduced, reflected in many people obtaining relief from asthma, sinus congestion, and repeated sinus infections with wheat/grain elimination, making them less susceptible to airborne pathogens.
  • Vitamin D—We know with confidence that restoration of healthy levels of vitamin D enhances immunity, especially that driven by T-lymphocytes. Lack of vitamin D is a big part of the reason that we have viral illnesses like the flu during winter, but not in summer.
  • Reversal of thymic involution—Lactobacillus reuteri reverses age-related atrophy of the thymus in experimental models. The thymus (sitting just in front of the heart in the anterior mediastinum) is the seat of much of the immune response, especially that involving T-lymphocytes. Starting at age 18, the thymus begins to atrophy such that, by age 70, it is a tiny fragment of its former self, a phenomenon accompanied by increased susceptibility to infections like flu, pneumococcal pneumonia, and sepsis. Even though this phenomenon has not yet been formally corroborated in humans, nearly every other observation made in mice with L. reuteri (or exogenous oxytocin) has held true in humans in formal clinical trials: preservation of bone density, acceleration of healing, increased oxytocin, reduction of appetite, weight loss, etc. It is therefore likely that reversal of thymic involution and thereby restoration of youthful immune potential occurs, also.
  • Reduction of metabolic endotoxemia—Our efforts that include rebuilding a healthy intestinal microbiome that include probiotics, fermented foods, prebiotic fibers, and reversal of SIBO and SIFO reduce the process of metabolic endotoxemia, i.e., the flood of bacterial byproducts (such as bacterial lipopolysaccharide, or LPS) that accompanies SIBO. Reversing/reducing metabolic endotoxemia is a huge advantage in reducing body-wide inflammation and enhancing the immune response.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 05:59

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

What to eat to optimize your immune system from Marty Kendall:

https://optimisingnutrition.com/202...LEaZ4ZxHXIyGm8g
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 09:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

So the NSAID controversy is crazy...I just read a US health “expert” categorically deny there is any evidence of ibuprofen harm, then minutes later a level headed piece by Dr Malcolm Kendrick with the 2017 study on the topic linked.

https://drmalcolmkendrick.org/2020/...virus-covid-19/

Common sense tips...including on Vit D and C!
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 09:38
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

this doctor that Chris Kresser posted her video explains how daily medication can affect the virus..
High Blood pressure
diabetes
she's simplistic and easy to understand...

Dr. Tyna Moore's take on medication and C-19
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 10:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The WHO is now recommending you don't take NSAIDs if you have COVID-19.

On a whim I ordered kefir grains before this madness started and began making kefir, even though dairy does a number on me at times. Almost out of milk now and not sure I want to risk shopping. Anyway, I'm also taking a ton of probiotics. I had them in the fridge and hadn't been dedicated to them like I should have been. This has been going on a few weeks. Don't know if it'll help or not.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 11:21

BF:

Boosting your immune system to fight the coronavirus: what you need to know

https://www.dietdoctor.com/coronavirus
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 12:40

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Common sense tips...including on Vit D and C!
Ive been a fan of Chris Masterjohn's in the past (though not followed him much lately) and he had a post on protecting yourself from the Coronavirus on Facebook yesterday. Among his advice tips was to *avoid* taking Vitamin C or D3, and they could cause you issues if you got the virus.

He also recommended taking elderberry syrup (if you can find it, apparently it's sold out most everywhere) daily, whereas other advice I've read has said to avoid elderberry syrup. I just get more and more confused.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 13:38

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Ive been a fan of Chris Masterjohn's in the past (though not followed him much lately) and he had a post on protecting yourself from the Coronavirus on Facebook yesterday. Among his advice tips was to *avoid* taking Vitamin C or D3, and they could cause you issues if you got the virus.

He also recommended taking elderberry syrup (if you can find it, apparently it's sold out most everywhere) daily, whereas other advice I've read has said to avoid elderberry syrup. I just get more and more confused.

I read Chris Masterjohn's advice today too and it was at odds with what I was reading elsewhere. I've decided to just keep on doing what I am already doing which includes vitamin D3 and vitamin C and since I figured that people are probably buying out all stock of elderberry syrup I didn't even consider looking for it. I've been eating a really nutritionally dense diet for a long time now and I hardly ever get sick so I figure my immune system must be in tip top shape so along with practicing social isolation, which is easy for me, I figure I'm protecting myself and other the best I can.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 14:24

BF:

Vitamin D Supplementation Could Prevent and Treat Influenza, Coronavirus, and Pneumonia Infections

https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthr...630#post9362630
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 17:31

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
<...snip...>I refuse to even have Tylenol in the house. <...>

It damages the liver. 100 people die from Tylenol per year according to the Life Extension Foundation. If you take it, take as little as possible and only when absolutely, positively necessary.

Me? I don't have Tylenol in the house either.

Bob
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 18:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Tylenol does nothing for me, either. I'm doing D, C, AND Elderberry

I swear, the elderberry helped me get rid of that dry cough that kept me from sleeping this winter.

What might have prompted Masterjohn's stance is the fact that COVID-19 can trigger a cytokine storm. That is what is actually fatal. It's an immune system over-reaction that was also seen in the 1918 pandemic.

But it doesn't make any sense to weaken your immune system, even so.
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 19:34

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
So I wonder if we can take natural anti-inflammatories? Everything I read says take Tylenol and not ibuprofen, but I refuse to even have Tylenol in the house. It's useless to me and scary. The "recommended" dose does absolutely nothing for me. (as one friend told her doctor who recommended Tylenol to her after she had surgery: "Why don't you just recommend I take M&Ms. It would work just as well as Tylenol does and would taste a lot better")

And if I took enough Tylenol to actually work against the pain it would probably destroy my liver and kill me. Very fine line between an effective dose and a fatal dose.

But in just googling natural anti-inflammatories one of the ones that came up was Curcumin. I just happen to have a big bottle of Curcumin and I'd forgotten why I even bought it. But I just went and took a tablet and will not probably add it to my daily routine (things like C, D3, K3, magnesium, garlic oil, Berberine, Hibiscus, and probably a host of other things right now!). I figure it can't hurt while I'm still virus-free!

Tylenol is the preferred option post surgery now. When I had a whopper of a hand injury 15 yrs ago only the big stuff could numb the pain. Tylenol was useless. Fortunately, I dont get addicted to the powerful stuff. (My brain loves carbs though,lol) Given the backlash to the good painkillers, we can only wait for the pendulum to swing toward center.

Im with you. No point in destroying liver on a high dose of Tylenol. Perhaps better to focus on healing injury to decrease the pain.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Mar-18-20, 19:36

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
It damages the liver. 100 people die from Tylenol per year according to the Life Extension Foundation. If you take it, take as little as possible and only when absolutely, positively necessary.

Me? I don't have Tylenol in the house either.

Bob

What is the current thought on aspirin? I keep it on hand for dogs and sheep.