Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 22:11

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Make sure you pay attention to documenting all of it in case you can tap into VA benefits, compensation. Good luck!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Jan-14-20, 22:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Lighthouse dressing in the veggie dept. refrigerated area is low carb and they have some really good ones, my fav is blue cheese.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 06:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzyNOK
I have to find some different dressing.. found one that was zero carb.. but not thrilled with it.

Meme gave me the tip that I can make my own with sour cream. I love a thick, creamy dressing, and I like them so much better than storebought.

I found being creative like this at home lessens the pull of going out. Shredded low carb vegetables like jicama make good hash browns, for instance.

My husband will get a steak with more veggies instead of the potato, and put real butter on them. I'll get a fajita skillet and skip the tortillas.

Socializing is important, especially spending time at home as a caregiver. These days, you can look the place up online and strategize before you go. Even Italian will have an antipasto platter on the menu.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 21:25

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 292/292/215 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Meme gave me the tip that I can make my own with sour cream. I love a thick, creamy dressing, and I like them so much better than storebought.

I found being creative like this at home lessens the pull of going out. Shredded low carb vegetables like jicama make good hash browns, for instance.

My husband will get a steak with more veggies instead of the potato, and put real butter on them. I'll get a fajita skillet and skip the tortillas.

Socializing is important, especially spending time at home as a caregiver. These days, you can look the place up online and strategize before you go. Even Italian will have an antipasto platter on the menu.

See.. I love the thinner dressings, the are easier to get all over the salad.. and to me, they just taste better.. There is a local buffet that has all the things that I can chow down on and a large salad selection.. I just cannot go to a lot of the places I would just give up and go to because its "easy".
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Jan-15-20, 21:32

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Make sure you pay attention to documenting all of it in case you can tap into VA benefits, compensation. Good luck!

Well, that's impossible for a couple of reasons.. mainly because I was in an insane toxic masculinity society of idiots, just like me. I always had something to prove.. even then I was "heavier" than the pretty boys. But I would max out PT tests and generally terrorize the facemen every chance I got. I was competing with people in a no win situation. I never went on sick call once. Played a soccer season with a broken right foot.. probably broke my neck in a football game.. I was lean for me.. right at 225 most of the time..After one of the survival type infantry schools, I got down to around 210. One German beer and that was made up for. I was "tough".. I was tough until a few years ago.. Now I'm just worn out.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 05:07

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FozzyNOK
I was "tough".. I was tough until a few years ago.. Now I'm just worn out.

It takes guts to be honest, especially about toxic masculinity. Your story supports my own oft-expressed opinion that we ALL suffer from it.

That's great that you have a salad bar handy. It is my go-to that anything I used to love in a sandwich works even better in a salad (summer) or omelette (winter.) It wasn't until I went low carb that I realized how bread actually interferes with the full flavor of sandwich innards.

You want to scare yourself, look at the bottled dressing labels. The ingredients lately are "water, sugar" and then it doesn't matter!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 08:58

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It takes guts to be honest, especially about toxic masculinity. Your story supports my own oft-expressed opinion that we ALL suffer from it.

That's great that you have a salad bar handy. It is my go-to that anything I used to love in a sandwich works even better in a salad (summer) or omelette (winter.) It wasn't until I went low carb that I realized how bread actually interferes with the full flavor of sandwich innards.

You want to scare yourself, look at the bottled dressing labels. The ingredients lately are "water, sugar" and then it doesn't matter!

In the early 2000's there was a low carb "craze" and the choices were over the place. For the first time in my life, it was easy to find more low carb items.. now, they are back to loading everything down with sugar.. and worse yet HFCS,, This morning I had a craving and made some homemade sausage egg cheese mcmuffins... without the mcmuffin.. killed a craving where it stood! lol
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-16-20, 21:39

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

I can't stand the taste of commercial dressings - there's something artificial that turns me off. Tho I like Best Foods mayonnaise.

Anyway, a while back I found a really simple lc dressing recipe that I love. It was originally from Nora Ephron - she called it a great vinaigrette that saved her marriage.

2 tablespoons Grey Poupon mustard (I use a fairly cheap Dijon)
2 tablespoons good red wine vinegar
6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

Use a mixer to whisk the olive oil into the mustard and vinegar. I add a squirt of Apriva as my husband doesn't care for the sharp taste of vinegar. I like it as is, but if I want it creamier I mix it with mayonnaise - up to half & half - depending on what I feel like.

I also double the recipe - it keeps well, tho it does separate a bit in the fridge. Just need to stir it well when serving. Mayonnaise keeps it from separating.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-20, 07:58

Plan: Atkins, Dr. Westman
Stats: 267/167/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 82%

I love the Good Seasons Italian dressing mix that comes in a packet. You mix it yourself adding olive oil, vinegar and water and shake it up. I love the taste and its very low carb. You can usually buy the glass cruet to mix it up in sitting next to it in the grocery.

I like it on salads and also sometimes I will just pour it over a bowl of avocados and tomatoes and eat. ..no lettuce. Sometimes I add goat cheese or feta.

Very easy to make with the mix.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-20, 10:34

Plan: Keto
Stats: 252/172/165 Female 69.25 inches
BF:
Progress: 92%

You should check out Ken's journal (khrussva). He lost a lot of weight and is now in great physical shape.

Yes, as Bangle says. Start. And I would also advise, just keep swimming. Daily changes seem to yield small results, but even small numbers will add up over time to big rewards. Be consistent and this thing will work for you.

I used to have the most awful debilitating lower back pain. When I lost the weight, about half way through, my back stopped getting hurt. I almost NEVER hurt my back now that I'm at goal weight. It has literally been 4 years. I'm in great shape, better shape than I was playing basketball in high school. I can do all the things with my kids. I can outlast some of them.

Welcome and wishing you success and healing. And soon energy and stamina to deal with all the demands on you.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jan-17-20, 11:19
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I don't know where to begin.
Have been using Atkins for weight control since 1972.
Have also lost and re-gained weight many times.

Things changed for me this decade, and fear became my motivator.
Fear of pain. When I'm eating On Plan I'm pain free.
Fear of dependence. As long as I continue to exercise and eat On Plan I can do all the things I ever could. And for myself.
Fear of being weak and vulnerable. (I'm short and I'm old and I'm female.) I've been walking before dawn every morning for almost 7 years. I run on the crosswalks. I stay fit and can escape if necessary.

So fear is my motivator. You will find yours.
This is a great place for support.
Everybody is on your side.