Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 09:16

Plan: modified adkins (sort of)
Stats: 265/176/167 Female 68.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 91%

Quote:
...accidentally picking it up because it LOOKS like real meat, and is sold in the meat dept.

I think we carnivores and omnivores should insist that fake meat be moved out of the meat department or at least that it be very very clearly as "NOT MEAT." And any restaurant selling NOT-MEAT PATTIES ought to be prohibited from calling them hamburgers.

Vegans get majorly pissed off if someone slips the tiniest little bit of "animal product" into their vegetable dishes. They'll even file lawsuits because their NOT-MEAT PATTIES were grilled on the same grill as a hamburger patty and therefore might have been contaminated by a tenth of one percent of some left-behind animal fat. And woe-betide the restaurant that serves a "vegetarian" soup that was made using chicken-broth instead of 100% vegetable broth. They'd be out of business in a heartbeat if the word got out.

Well, it seems to me that we meat-eaters should have an equal right NOT to be deliberately misled into putting NOT-MEAT into our bodies.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 09:59

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel
I think we carnivores and omnivores should insist that fake meat be moved out of the meat department or at least that it be very very clearly as "NOT MEAT." And any restaurant selling NOT-MEAT PATTIES ought to be prohibited from calling them hamburgers.

Vegans get majorly pissed off if someone slips the tiniest little bit of "animal product" into their vegetable dishes. They'll even file lawsuits because their NOT-MEAT PATTIES were grilled on the same grill as a hamburger patty and therefore might have been contaminated by a tenth of one percent of some left-behind animal fat. And woe-betide the restaurant that serves a "vegetarian" soup that was made using chicken-broth instead of 100% vegetable broth. They'd be out of business in a heartbeat if the word got out.

Well, it seems to me that we meat-eaters should have an equal right NOT to be deliberately misled into putting NOT-MEAT into our bodies.

I was telling my DDs that for every "right" given to one group, it has to be taken from another group.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 11:11

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

I'm not eating out anymore (period), until an establishment advertises that no vegetable oil was used in the preparation of any food served here (there).
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 12:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
I'm not eating out anymore (period), until an establishment advertises that no vegetable oil was used in the preparation of any food served here (there).

I'm sick of seeing vitamins all classified as vegetarian now. Instead of using gelatin for the capsule they use cellulose.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 13:06

BF:

Quote:
I hadn't thought of that. I think I'm gonna start demanding that my steak and hamburgers be cooked using either butter, lard, or bacon grease because "my body is holy and must NOT be contaminated with vegetable oils and seed oils!"

Actually, all joking aside, while I'm happy to eat some (real) vegetables, I really would be happier to avoid ingesting any highly processed vegetable and seed oils... most of which are extracted using neurotoxic chemicals like hexane. I'm okay with VIRGIN (cold-expeller pressed, no solvents used) olive oil, coconut oil and avacado oil... but I rather doubt most restaurants use those because they tend to be expensive.

Instead, they reach for corn oil, soybean oil, canola oil, and other inexpensive oils, most of which were processed using hexane!

While the manufacturers all want to CLAIM that the hexane they use in processing evaporates out of the oil before it is bottled for sale, small amounts always remain behind as contaminants. Plus, all the stuff that "evaporates" winds up in our air which means we're all breathing more of it in. Makes me wonder if rising rates of Alzheimer's and other neurological disorders (eg, autism) might not be due to ever-increasing chronic exposure to hexanes and similar solvents in our air.

More info about hexanes from an organic foods group that attempts to remain neutral re vegan, vegetarian, omnivore, carnivore dietary choices..
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 13:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

I think people sold something on the basis that it doesn't contain meat--at least that reasonable attempts have been made to exclude it, since zero percent insect bits is near impossible in almost any food--have every right to be upset if their (don't get me wrong, horrible, crummy) non-meat burgers are cooked on something that was just used to cook perfectly-good animal-sourced food on.

I'm also in favour of people being able to call it almond milk. People are well aware that it's not the same as cow's milk, that's the entire point.

As far as right go--well, yeah giving rights to one may entail taking rights from another--if only the right to deny the right to the other. Sometimes that's right.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 13:25

BF:

Quote:
I think people sold something on the basis that it doesn't contain meat--at least that reasonable attempts have been made to exclude it, since zero percent insect bits is near impossible in almost any food--have every right to be upset if their (don't get me wrong, horrible, crummy) non-meat burgers are cooked on something that was just used to cook perfectly-good animal-sourced food on.

I absolutely agree Teaser. My point is just that the same right should be extended to those of us on the other side of the dietary spectrum. We shouldn't be mislead into buying or eating something thinking that it IS meat, only to discover that it wasn't meat at all! And I can't tell you how many times I've read accounts by vegans gleefully reporting that they fixed BeyondMeat burgers and fed them to omnivores -either telling them or implying that it was meat - and that the omnivores "couldn't tell the difference." Respect for other peoples' dietary choices needs to go both ways!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 13:38

BF:

Bev, Do you remember that Wataburger use to advertise 100% American beef.(In Texas) They had signs on the windows declaring this. Now, it no longer advertises 100% beef or American either.
Taco bell, remember a couple of years ago they analyzed the meat and found out it was mostly fake meat.
Not that I eat either anymore but if I want two beef patties, shouldn't it be 100% meat, at least?

You know that soybeans are grown in the US, it is shipped to China for processing. Over there they can do anything they want to it.
They ship chicken to China too and it comes back to the US as nuggets. Again, who knows what's in it.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 13:55

BF:

Quote:
I absolutely agree Teaser. My point is just that the same right should be extended to those of us on the other side of the dietary spectrum. We shouldn't be mislead into buying or eating something thinking that it IS meat, only to discover that it wasn't meat at all! And I can't tell you how many times I've read accounts by vegans gleefully reporting that they fixed BeyondMeat burgers and fed them to omnivores -either telling them or implying that it was meat - and that the omnivores "couldn't tell the difference." Respect for other peoples' dietary choices needs to go both ways!

Absolutely. I want to know what I'm eating. Especially since people don't necessarily even know every allergy I might have.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 14:40

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:

Agreed. We ought to demand that these "foods" be placed where they belong, next to the produce or in the frozen vegetables sections. Since many strict vegetarians and vegans want nothing to do with meat, let's move toward truth in advertising by appropriate placement of these "foods" in the supermarkets.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 14:44

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
And I can't tell you how many times I've read accounts by vegans gleefully reporting that they fixed BeyondMeat burgers and fed them to omnivores -either telling them or implying that it was meat - and that the omnivores "couldn't tell the difference."

Oh please. Vegans lie!
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 15:00

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I've been to restaurants with vegetarian colleagues who assure them that the soup stock is all vegetable. I wouldn't bet on it. Goes both ways, but I've never witnessed a vegetarian colleague succumb to the meat stock, grab their throat, and writhe on the floor due to meat poisoning . . . . Not yet at least . . .
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 15:47

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

You'd think militant vegans would object to having to walk through the meat aisle to get to their pure fake meat nestled in between raw beef and pork.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 17:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Oh please. Vegans lie!

Or polite guests don't have the heart to tell them, just think they're like the worst cooks ever.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 23:31

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 225/224/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Quote:
My hope is that it'll go the way of so many other new products, and that it won't be around for very long.

Its just junk food.

We vote with our food dollars, and we can make complaints and praise at the grocery stores.

WB.-- there is a gas added to prepackaged meats. Dont remember the name. At Shaws there was a problem and the meats turned bile green . Just gross. When I brought a package to meat counter, thats when I got a speedy education. Its regularly used to keep the bright red fresh look.

Horrifying.