Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 06:50

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin120
I have a set of.silicone lunch cups that are so handy. They are meant to put spices in, to have everything at finger tips when you cook. But they measure a perfect quarter cup (which is one ounce cheese or nuts, or 2 servings most dips). It's an easy way to keep eye on portions without measuring. They were super cheap on amazon.

I also tend to.eat the same things over and over. For example, today i might snack on almonds and tomorrow have pumpkin seeds, but nutritionally those are fairly similar. The only place that really varies is dinner. People who eat the same meals tend to be leaner.

I would keep measuring until you can eyeball. You will get better at it.

Thanks for the suggestion of the silicone lunch cups - never hear of them before. Great idea.

Also thaks for the encouragement.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 07:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
'

That just means your thread has been updated, and you chose to receive notifications that it was updated. Click on the link in your inbox, and it'll take you right to the thread.

I was going to suggest that you sit on a kitchen stool to do prep and stovetop cooking - then I saw that someone already suggested that, but you're dealing with a walker, so obviously that's not going to work.

Would it be possible for you to sit at a table to do your measuring and any mixing, so you're not on your feet quite so long when you're cooking? Or is it impossible to deal with carrying stuff back and forth with the walker? (I realize it'd require an extra pair of hands to do that with a regular walker, but if you happen to have a rollator, at least there's a flat surface to place things on as you move from place to place around the kitchen)

Lots of things can be prepared in the microwave, although they don't always taste as good as when cooked using the stovetop or oven. I don't know if it would help or not (given your issues with your knee and using the walker), but if you are able to use the oven at all, maybe bake a family size package of chicken legs or thighs, go sit down and put your feet up while they're baking, then toss them in fridge containers. That way, you can just get out whatever you need for a meal, nuke that, and it tastes almost as good as when it just came out of the oven.

Thanks Caliana for Explaining the email about this thread and for these suggestions. Unfortunately my apartment is too small for a table. My 2-wheel walker does have a platform attached which is a huge blessing for carrying things (except when my cat is using it as a bed and doesn't mind taking a ride with me).

I learned to hate chicken when I was a 3 time failed Weight Watcher member - so it's not usually on the menu - but I have been thinking of trying one of the baked chickens at the grocery store. No glaze/breaded types. It can be cut up and frozen. I will see if my aversion still holds. Worth a try.

I use my oven for storage of pots and pans. My kitchen is so small there isn't enough room for them elsewhere. My prep space is tiny. If I emptied the stove, I wouldn't know where to put those pots and pans besides in the sink.
Just dealing with the realities of living space. It is an adjustment from living in a 1600 sq ft house where I had plenty of room in the kitchen. Not any more.

Thanks for all the great suggestions
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 07:10

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
I routinely scramble eggs and whatever and nuke it in a 2 or 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. First I melt some butter, salt & chives, then scramble in some eggs and extras if I want. 4 eggs w/butter take <2 minutes (extras take longer and a bigger cup). At ~45 seconds I take it out and stir it up and again ~30 seconds later. Then I eat it straight out of the cup, holding the handle. The fastest meal I make, and only one container to clean.

Great suggestion Dierdra. Looks quite do-able
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 07:16

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Now that I have a better idea of your challenges, here's how to cook a hamburger in the microwave :

https://www.bustle.com/articles/936...up-the-grill-is

Great suggestion. I wonder if making a hole in the middle of a hamburger patty would work just as well even if pan frying.

Oh for the days of a hamburger on a bun! Sigh.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 09:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Oh for the days of a hamburger on a bun! Sigh.

Would it help if I said I got over it?

Yes, it's messy to put the burger on plate and eat it with a fork, or wrap it in a big lettuce leaf.

On the other hand, there's the soul-crushing despair of desperately trying to find a pair of pants which will zip up.

At least we get to pick.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 11:35

BF:

I think that's what gets me off track sometimes - the memory of a Big Mac or a BLT. I have an enabler friend who brings me peanut butter cookies. Breaks my heart to throw them out.

But you are right - either buy new fat clothes or lose back into the old clothes. I don't really have a great deal of interest in shopping for clothes - never have.

I don't really have a problem of hamburger sans bun.
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 10:42

Plan: Atkins, PP
Stats: 188.4/188.4/132 Female 160cm
BF:
Progress: 0%

I don't find it hard to stay under 20 carbs for a day - don't forget to take fibre off!!

For the first 4 weeks when I do a strict <20 carbs a day (after that I usually ease up to 30/40) I stick to salad leaves and cabbages - you can eat a ton of them and not get over your carbs. No nuts, no snacks, 2 meals a day.

Breakfast:
3 eggs (fried, scrambled, cooked)
1 Box of Button Mushrooms
3 slices of bacon
half a cucumber
1 Tablespoon of Mayo

Lunch:
Any plain meat (whatever is on deal at the supermarket, Pork Shoulder Steaks tend to be cheap this time of year) fried in butter
Half a green cabbage or Cauliflower Mash, or Broccoli, or Swiss Chard, or the other half of the cucumber
Add a tablespoon of coconut oil or some more Mayo

I am stuffed to bits and have lots of vitamins and hardly any carbs - if I get bored of Cabbages, I eat salad from a bag - Rocket, Mixed leaves, Iceberg, whatever they have fresh, just make sure it isn't mixed with peas or carrots
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Jan-04-20, 12:18

BF:

Good suggestions, MadPiano. Thanks
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-05-20, 14:26

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestion of the silicone lunch cups - never hear of them before. Great idea.

Also thaks for the encouragement.

Sorry, that was strange autocorrect. They are silicone pinch cups.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Jan-10-20, 23:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 200/170/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Hi Benay...I posted this to you in another thread but this seems related so...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ruby
Hello Benay,
I read in another thread your need for microwave meals, and then this post gave me an idea that’s been good for my mother (also mid-80s.) I read that whey protein is the easiest for older women to digest, and also easy way to get the extra protein we need post surgery. I’ve been making us whey protein smoothies. There are many brands available, and if you like a sweeter flavour, many are sweetened with stevia. I’ve found a couple of grass-fed whey protein powders, and use with water and a few frozen berries, it is easy and tasty and packs a protein punch.

Works with blender or one of those hand held wands.

If I find that other thread I will post there too. Maybe this would help your protein needs and also easier to make in a small kitchen where it’s hard to stand.

Do you ever have smoothies?
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Jan-11-20, 12:40

BF:

Blue Ruby, I replied to you on the other thread.
Thanks
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 06:01

BF:

One of the issues I have with staying under 20 carb grams/day, is total carb grams versus carb grams subtracted by fiber grams. So when I see carb grams posted on the Diet Doctor's site, I check to see what kind of carb counter is being used.

Although Dr Westman says to use total cab grams, the Diet Doctor web site showing carb grams in vegetables is misleading.

For example - avocados. Diet Doctor says 1/2 avocado is 3 grams carb https://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-conte...tables-AG-1.jpg

When I looked up avocados elsewhere, it says carb grams in half an avocado are 8 1/2 grams carb and 6.7 grams fiber

So, which do i base my carb gram calculation on?

Very confusing
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 06:42

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Dr Westman's diet is 3 cups of vegetables from his allowed list of foods. Seriously you do not need to count any macros, nor subtract any fiber. But if you want to make life more complicated, two tips:

If you click on the little g. circle in three colors (low, med, high carb levels) on DietDoctor Recipes...you see Fiber under Net Carbs. Add it back and that is total carb count. You can also filter all the recipes with "only Keto" and get only recipes with very low carb counts that work. This is the way UK and European food labels are stated (maybe rest of world too?) it is the US that requires math to figure it out. Not to confuse the issue, but carb calculations differ: https://www.esha.com/how-carbs-are-...rent-countries/

As for that chart of vegetables, they are all allowed..with these limits: 2 cups salad greens, 1 cup cooked vegetables, 6 olives, avocado 1/2 per day. Avocado is only 1/2 per day because you are right, a whole avocado is 17g carbs, 13 g fiber.

But if you want to obsess about vegetable carbs (none of us got fat eating too much zucchini) , Google to the rescue! Type "Carbs in vegetable x" into your Google Search Bar, the results at top are Total Carbs from the USDA Nutrition Database, with a drop down menu of various serving sizes. Then if you want the total and fiber, click on "more at" and a full nutrition label pops up. Ten years ago, the Atkins company sent a book with total and net carbs in their starter kit, but the internet has leaped beyond my old paper and pencil method. If you have a copy of the "famous" 2002 DANDR edition...that has total and net in the back.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-21-20 at 10:53.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jan-21-20, 06:50

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
One of the issues I have with staying under 20 carb grams/day, is total carb grams versus carb grams subtracted by fiber grams. So when I see carb grams posted on the Diet Doctor's site, I check to see what kind of carb counter is being used.

Although Dr Westman says to use total cab grams, the Diet Doctor web site showing carb grams in vegetables is misleading.

For example - avocados. Diet Doctor says 1/2 avocado is 3 grams carb https://www.dietdoctor.com/wp-conte...tables-AG-1.jpg

When I looked up avocados elsewhere, it says carb grams in half an avocado are 8 1/2 grams carb and 6.7 grams fiber

So, which do i base my carb gram calculation on?

Very confusing

It is confusing. Dr Westman always uses total carbs without the fiber subtracted and I believe that diet doctor always uses net carbs, that is total carbs with the fiber subtracted. I find it is necessary when I am unsure of the actual carb count of something, that is when it does not state whether net carbs or total carbs are referenced, that I have to go to a carb counter like chronometer which gives both net and total carbs, to check it out. In the final analysis it is up to each one of us individually to choose which method to use, total carbs or net carbs. I base that on what seems to be working best for me, which at the moment seems to be between 10-15 gms of net carbs. That is about 30 gms of total carbs. Then we need to double check the carb count that is stated to check what it refers to, net or total.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Jan-22-20, 04:20

BF:

Thanks Cotonpal, that makes sense.
Jey, I was talking about avocados not zucchini

Just out of curiosity, I weighed myself when I got up this morning and found my weight the same as yesterday's. Then I weighed myself at my usual time, after coffee, and I had gained 1 1/2 pounds

I wonder if I need a new battery for my scale?