Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Dec-29-19, 21:46

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

You only need to measure once, write down what the carbs were, then you can eyeball it from then on - referring back to your notes. My food log has my list of common carb values.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 04:11

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
It needs to bake in an oven or cooked stovetop in a cast iron skillet. Then it can be frozen in portions and warmed up in a microwave.

Then, I won't be making it - but thanks anyway.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 05:52

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I was horribly sick when I started under 20 carbs, and it worked out to be: meat, eggs, added fats, and for a while... not even leaves.

What a relief!

If I was hungry, I ate! Deviled eggs, grilled steak, big old slice of ham cut into cubes, CHEESE and guacamole and sour cream.

I would eat a pound of beef at a sitting. Just beef, salt, and pepper. So satisfying!

I discovered vegetables and fruits were unnecessary. Removing them from my diet stopped cravings ENTIRELY.

And I blew past what I thought was my weight and health goals. That, for me, what the key to the door I've been beating on since my teens.

What did I "give up"? Nothing... compared to what I GOT.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 06:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Yup, follow Dr Westman's "page 4" you measure the 3 "cups" of vegetables by using your fist or a handful of greens. A big guy gets a bit more veg, a petite woman less. Count out 6 olives. And use one measuring tablespoon for the cream and mayo etc.

Follow the food list and it is difficult to exceed 20g. https://www.dietdoctor.com/se/wp-co...starch_diet.pdf The cream and the mayo limit should read 2-4 T, not a major difference, but start at 2T.

No computer needed! This is his campy old teaching video...the weekly introduction classes still work like this. https://drericwestman.blog/dr-westmans-teaching-video/

I was moaning about the guys yesterday losing large amounts quickly. Today photos were posted of a woman who lost 160 pounds! this year! and she is 65! She and her sister watched the Dr Westman video (The "white coat" teaching video above) and followed the clinic diet. Nothing fancy in her story.

Thanks for these two links, Janet. I have sent them on to a friend who has been told by his doctor he must lose weight.

I was impressed with the film clip. Although there was nothing I didn't know (that I learned from the Eades Protein Power in 2006), Dr Westman makes it all very interesting.

I am impressed at how many of you can stay under 20 grams of carbs a day without using a computer program

just validates for me that we are all different
I need a computer program to keep me on track - most of you don't.
Whatever works
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 09:10
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
Then, I won't be making it - but thanks anyway.
I just did an experiment for you, Benay - I did a simple quiche in the microwave.

What I used: a small 3.5 cup pyrex casserole dish, lined with parchment paper because I hate scrubbing cooked-on egg. Cook it with the lid on but ajar enough that steam can escape.

Ingredients: 4 beaten eggs + whatever veggies, meat or dairy you have on hand. THAT'S IT.

I cooked it for 5 min on high, but that was a little too high/too fast. I stopped it half way through and kept cooking on 50% for 2 min at a time until it looked about done. Then, I let it cool for 4 min or so. I flipped it onto the plate, then nuked it for another 3 min or so because the bottom looked a bit undercooked. Don't overthink it. All you're doing is cooking the egg.

The meats and veggies that you add should be cooked, preferably, but you could probably get away with a bit of frozen chopped onions and peppers for flavour. You just don't want much water, which will happen with raw meats or veggies. Plan ahead if your veggies are frozen - put them in the fridge in a sandwich baggie, then drain the water.

I threw in some chopped cooked jalapenos and bacon, plus a splash of cream and some shredded pepper jack cheese. That's what I had handy. Measure to keep within your carb limits, but it's not important to the quiche turning out.

I prefer a larger quiche cooked in the oven, but this was very good.

#21   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 09:15

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I have to count calories. No matter how I stick to the <20 carbs and twice as much fat than protein, if I go over about 1600 calories per day, I gain.

Perhaps a high stool in your kitchen might help you cook comfortably (excuse me if you thought of this already or if it doesn't work for you).

Bob
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 11:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristine
I just did an experiment for you, Benay - I did a simple quiche in the microwave.

What I used: a small 3.5 cup pyrex casserole dish, lined with parchment paper because I hate scrubbing cooked-on egg. Cook it with the lid on but ajar enough that steam can escape.

Ingredients: 4 beaten eggs + whatever veggies, meat or dairy you have on hand. THAT'S IT.

I cooked it for 5 min on high, but that was a little too high/too fast. I stopped it half way through and kept cooking on 50% for 2 min at a time until it looked about done. Then, I let it cool for 4 min or so. I flipped it onto the plate, then nuked it for another 3 min or so because the bottom looked a bit undercooked. Don't overthink it. All you're doing is cooking the egg.

The meats and veggies that you add should be cooked, preferably, but you could probably get away with a bit of frozen chopped onions and peppers for flavour. You just don't want much water, which will happen with raw meats or veggies. Plan ahead if your veggies are frozen - put them in the fridge in a sandwich baggie, then drain the water.

I threw in some chopped cooked jalapenos and bacon, plus a splash of cream and some shredded pepper jack cheese. That's what I had handy. Measure to keep within your carb limits, but it's not important to the quiche turning out.

I prefer a larger quiche cooked in the oven, but this was very good.

Kristine, you are very kind to do this. It does look doable for me. Quick and easy, not a lot of ingredients, microwaveable is the best I can do so this is a PERFECT alternative. Thank you ever so much!
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 11:58

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I have to count calories. No matter how I stick to the <20 carbs and twice as much fat than protein, if I go over about 1600 calories per day, I gain.

Perhaps a high stool in your kitchen might help you cook comfortably (excuse me if you thought of this already or if it doesn't work for you).

Bob

It is a small kitchen and moving about it with a walker tends to take up all the space available.

It would be a great idea if it weren't for the walker.

Thanks Bob
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 13:37

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I routinely scramble eggs and whatever and nuke it in a 2 or 4 cup Pyrex measuring cup in the microwave. First I melt some butter, salt & chives, then scramble in some eggs and extras if I want. 4 eggs w/butter take <2 minutes (extras take longer and a bigger cup). At ~45 seconds I take it out and stir it up and again ~30 seconds later. Then I eat it straight out of the cup, holding the handle. The fastest meal I make, and only one container to clean.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Dec-30-19, 15:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Now that I have a better idea of your challenges, here's how to cook a hamburger in the microwave :

https://www.bustle.com/articles/936...up-the-grill-is
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 03:52

BF:

I received this message in my in-box and thought it said I was 'unsubscribed."

What does this mean?

"You are subscribed to the thread "Stayin under 20 grams of carbohydrate" by Benay, there have been 13 posts to this thread, the last poster was WereBear.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=483327"

Thanks Bob

Last edited by Benay : Tue, Dec-31-19 at 03:57. Reason: Clarification
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 09:37

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Time to learn a few kitchen basics. My children learned to fry eggs and microwave frozen veggies by 6-7 years old.... so I bet you can do the basics, too.

Adding a few herbs or spices really improves flavor of food. Look up a recipe to see what herbs and spices are used in what amounts......just takes a little practice.

suggestion--
garlic salt
onion salt
Italian seasoning

Instead of the nuts. A quick snack is a deli roll up. When my kids not allowed to cut cheese, they could open single serving lunchbox cheese. They stay fresh, yet readily available for a deli rollup. Maybe add a squirt of mustard to spice it up.

I find it odd that anyone would suggest to a person my age that I should learn "a few kitchen basics"
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Dec-31-19, 09:52

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I have a set of.silicone lunch cups that are so handy. They are meant to put spices in, to have everything at finger tips when you cook. But they measure a perfect quarter cup (which is one ounce cheese or nuts, or 2 servings most dips). It's an easy way to keep eye on portions without measuring. They were super cheap on amazon.

I also tend to.eat the same things over and over. For example, today i might snack on almonds and tomorrow have pumpkin seeds, but nutritionally those are fairly similar. The only place that really varies is dinner. People who eat the same meals tend to be leaner.

I would keep measuring until you can eyeball. You will get better at it.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 03:31

Plan: Keto, LC, IF
Stats: 231/220/165 Female 155cm
BF:
Progress:

Such helpful advice from Kristine and JEY100 - a timely reminder to just keep it simple.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jan-01-20, 06:28

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benay
I received this message in my in-box and thought it said I was 'unsubscribed."

What does this mean?

"You are subscribed to the thread "Stayin under 20 grams of carbohydrate" by Benay, there have been 13 posts to this thread, the last poster was WereBear.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?threadid=483327"

Thanks Bob
'

That just means your thread has been updated, and you chose to receive notifications that it was updated. Click on the link in your inbox, and it'll take you right to the thread.

I was going to suggest that you sit on a kitchen stool to do prep and stovetop cooking - then I saw that someone already suggested that, but you're dealing with a walker, so obviously that's not going to work.

Would it be possible for you to sit at a table to do your measuring and any mixing, so you're not on your feet quite so long when you're cooking? Or is it impossible to deal with carrying stuff back and forth with the walker? (I realize it'd require an extra pair of hands to do that with a regular walker, but if you happen to have a rollator, at least there's a flat surface to place things on as you move from place to place around the kitchen)

Lots of things can be prepared in the microwave, although they don't always taste as good as when cooked using the stovetop or oven. I don't know if it would help or not (given your issues with your knee and using the walker), but if you are able to use the oven at all, maybe bake a family size package of chicken legs or thighs, go sit down and put your feet up while they're baking, then toss them in fridge containers. That way, you can just get out whatever you need for a meal, nuke that, and it tastes almost as good as when it just came out of the oven.