Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-19, 03:46

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default This Is How The Keto Diet Can Help With Alzheimer's Disease

This Is How The Keto Diet Can Help With Alzheimer's Disease

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/artic...eimers-symptoms

Quote:
When it comes to brain health, prevention is everything. While you can take necessary steps to help heal your brain (remember that we’re not stuck with the brain we have—everyone has the power to take control of their brain health), it’s always important to begin as early as you can. As with most areas of disease, preventing the illness before symptoms even arise is the way to go (yes, even in your 20s!).

Nutritional psychiatrist Georgia Ede, M.D., especially feels this way when it comes to diseases like dementia and Alzheimer’s.

“You don't want to wait until you get Alzheimer's. You want to start now,” she shares on the mindbodygreen podcast.

One of the best ways to reduce the risk of Alzheimer’s disease? It’s actually an eating plan you may be familiar with as it continues to take the nutrition industry by storm: keto.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-19, 08:51

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine called Alzheimer's "Type 3 diabetes" in order to drive home the connection between the disease and diet.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Dec-01-19, 09:12

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Ive heard this term, too, for some time.....however, "type 3" is an unknown phenmonom outside the LC/keto realm. This has become a talking point as its a short sentence, people get the idea immediately and always react in a "shock and awe" moment of realization.

A seed has been planted.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-19, 05:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Ive heard this term, too, for some time.....however, "type 3" is an unknown phenmonom outside the LC/keto realm. This has become a talking point as its a short sentence, people get the idea immediately and always react in a "shock and awe" moment of realization.

A seed has been planted.

Dr. Terry Wahl's MS protocol is the same idea. Dr. Sarah Myhill's protocol for ME/CFS starts with keto.

So many "mysterious" chronic diseases are metabolic diseases, and can be both prevented and treated.

However, the typical attitude in current medicine is summed up by this article from last year:

Quote:
Psoriasis and lupus: What's the difference?

Psoriasis and lupus are both autoimmune conditions that can affect people's skin. Although they share some symptoms, they are separate disorders.

The article says they will give details. But...

Quote:
However, while lupus may cause the immune system to attack multiple parts of the body, including the skin, joints, and organs, psoriasis is typically limited to the skin, fingernails, and toenails. People with psoriatic arthritis can also have symptoms in their joints.

Dr. Terry Wahls says all autoimmune diseases have the same cause. But that's also confined to the functional medicine community.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-19, 07:34

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

The "Type 3" label has been posited for several years. Until we start recognizing the cause of symptoms currently termed diseases and treat them like metabolic diseases with control through diet, it will all be beyond recognition to the majority of people. The majority of people are informed by the experts in the broader nutritional, medical, and gasp! pharmaceutical communities.

A good example is this past Friday when I was listening to Samantha Heller, who has a nutrition and exercise program on Doctor Radio - Sirius XM, and yet another expert guest who claimed keto is a fad and not sustainable and that carbs are a necessity for a healthy lifestyle. Also, that rigorous trials with a history of people following keto are not available. Many people listening will believe that given the context of the show. Many people want to believe that keto is not sustainable and attempt to find some combination of healthy whole grains and plant-based foods (which means anything processed) to treat their situations. It's sad, but unfortunately, people aren't aware of the changes in health over the past 50 years when T2D went from a moderately uncommon disease to one that is now common and supposedly a "lifelong affliction" leading to premature death and a low-quality life. Obesity, once very uncommon as recently as the 60s and 70s, has become so commonplace that we now consider those who would have been termed "fat" years ago as normal today.

Yes, T3D has been used for a while now, and I'm not sure it's an accurate use of the term. Many of today's common symptoms are caused by metabolic dysfunction resulting in an array of health issues that include, but are not limited to, diabetes. It's a long road to successfully alert people to this dynamic, but opposing interests are not going to volunteer to spread the word; rather, they've invested in attempting to squelch the word. Vigilance is required.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-19, 08:04

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

The whole concept of "disease" as posited by western medicine is flawed. It is based on infectious processes where an external causal agent enters the body and causes dysfunction. That external infectious agent then needs to be removed and all will be well. Chronic diseases are the result of system wide bodily dys-regulation. There is no single entity to eradicate. Instead what is needed is the removal of all agents causing the dys-regulation of bodily systems and the addition of the conditions necessary for the body to restore itself to optimal functioning. So we remove sugar and other high carbohydrate foods and provide the body with the necessary nutrients from whole foods and supplements where indicated. If you also add in adequate exercise, sufficient sleep and stress reduction you have created the conditions under which a human body can flourish, given the constraints built into our inevitable mortal condition. Of course it is more complicated than this and the devil is in the details but still how we conceptualize "disease" effects how we treat it and the infectious disease model does not work for most chronic conditions.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-19, 10:27

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

All of our medical research and drug testing has been done on a population of carb eaters. I have no doubt that redoing the research on a keto population would give different results in many areas. All the vitamin and mineral requirements would be much less as they would not need to be used to handle all the carbs.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-19, 18:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Dr. Terry Wahl's MS protocol is the same idea. Dr. Sarah Myhill's protocol for ME/CFS starts with keto.

So many "mysterious" chronic diseases are metabolic diseases, and can be both prevented and treated.

However, the typical attitude in current medicine is summed up by this article from last year:

The article says they will give details. But...

Dr. Terry Wahls says all autoimmune diseases have the same cause. But that's also confined to the functional medicine community.

My mother has had psoriasis since forever..... probably by teens. A distant cousin is surviving with Lupis. Its a chonic disease, nothing a diet can fix.----- that is their attitude, not mine.

Told a beloved friend about Dr Wahl's work as he has MS. He downloaded the book to read. He's not going to follow it, too hard to change. Wife wants her cheetos every nite. So he wont change his food choices . Yet he cant afford $5k treatments, who can.

We need the entire MD community on board.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Mon, Dec-02-19 at 18:06.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-19, 19:45

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

For many people, their drives are stronger than logical thought.

Smokers know it's bad for them, yet they smoke.

Football, soccer, and other head jarring sports players know that it will greatly increase their chances of getting dementia in old age, yet they play.

Mountain climbers, hang gliders, skiers and other risky sports have high accident and even death rates, but they do it anyway.

Diabetics know sugar is bad yet most diabetics I know were sugar-addicts.

To add to the sugar confusion, there is a lot of fraud news that tells us we are supposed to eat a plant-based diet with plenty of grains.

We can't change others, but we can help ourselves.

I'm healthier since I went on Atkins Induction so many years ago. I never got off induction because after 20 carbs I gain weight. So now we call it keto (fewer syllables to pronounce).

I caught a 2 day mild cold on an airplane this year. One day runny nose, one day cough. I can't remember the last time I was sick. 15 years ago or more. It was minor as well.

I can share that with others, but only the people already doing low-carb seem to appreciate it. The rest say, "I have to have my Cheetos, I have to have my fruit, I have to have my pasta, I have to have my bread, I have to have my desserts" and so on.

Me? I have to have my health. Without health, you have nothing.

Bob
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Dec-02-19, 20:01

BF:

You are so right Bob.

I value the endless support of the members of this forum that fully understand keto. Its easy to quit and just eat crap.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-19, 05:11

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Told a beloved friend about Dr Wahl's work as he has MS. He downloaded the book to read. He's not going to follow it, too hard to change. Wife wants her cheetos every nite. So he wont change his food choices . Yet he cant afford $5k treatments, who can.

Dr. Wahls had the best treatment medicine had to offer, and was going downhill fast in a reclining wheelchair. With that chasing you in the rearview mirror -- what does junk food mean?

Part of my willingness to start a 3 day fast and then continue with superlow carbs was how miserable I was as my internal organs started getting inflammation too. I was beyond steriods and moving into lupus territory.

The only thing left would be the expensive "miracle drugs" which work like magic... by suppressing the immune system. This has a distressing tendency to eventually kill you in horror movie kinds of ways. AND this chilling array of side effects and risks continue even if the drugs are stopped; a distressing tendency I'm seeing more and more of, and sends me to the internet for EVERYTHING.

But I know that, and Dr Wahls knew that. Maybe he does not understand, not really. But then, there's that lady our Bob spoke about who decided she would rather be in pain, walking with a cane, than give up cake.

Last edited by WereBear : Tue, Dec-03-19 at 05:18.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-19, 05:43

BF:

UPDATE: After my weight and health stabilizing, I experimenting with climbing the carb ladder again and now I have my first cold in years. My thumbs did not like adding potatoes. And while I did not have the dramatic symptoms of inflammation I used to, I'm not going to push the seed oils into symptoms again, so I will once again be super-picky in restaurants, as I was at a recent Thanksgiving buffet:

salad with homemade ranch (low seed oil ratio)
appetizer of shrimp and cheese
main course was prime rib and homemade horseradish cream sauce (cream bases tend to avoid seed oils)
okay, the filling and sweetened whipped cream of what amounted to 1 slice of pumpkin pie but a few times a year, especially on a base of protein and fat, should be okay

This is just how I eat now, and it's good tasty food I like, so this bargain is really a fine bargain, if you ask me

Last edited by WereBear : Tue, Dec-03-19 at 05:55.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-19, 06:03

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Dr. Dale Bredesen, Amy Berger, and Dr. David Perlmutter all talk about the metabolic connection to type 3 diabetes / alzheimer's disease. Drugs certainly don't work - and ketogenic diets and exogenous ketones (mct oil etc.) does see some improvement. I believe that when you start to see signs of cognitive decline, it's not too late to try and stop it or at least slow it's progression. Who's going to wait for gold standard human studies that may take decades to show that this is the way to go? And like anything else, prevention can be the key to reversing the trend.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-19, 06:16

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:

Preventing alzheimer's is definitely one of my goals in staying with this way of eating.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Dec-03-19, 06:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Who's going to wait for gold standard human studies that may take decades to show that this is the way to go? And like anything else, prevention can be the key to reversing the trend.

To me, one of the most compelling reasons to explore this is that there really is no downside.

People ask me "Aren't you worried about eating all that fat and red meat?"

I say, "No, the guy who started all that rigged his data for career purposes. And I feel great!"

But... there's me, what looks like an ordinary human (though obviously I'm not ) and there's all this propaganda that gets shot at them from "authorities."

I know who will win.