Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-19, 08:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%
Default The Underlying Causes of Thyroid Disease

Understanding your thyroid is pertinent to both weight and health. While this article is from 2016, it revamped the way I think, to my great benefit. So I wanted to share.

Guess what?

Quote:
The Underlying Causes of Thyroid Disease

The Conventional Medical Approach to Thyroid Disorders

In medicine, the key to choosing the best treatment is an accurate diagnosis. If the diagnosis isn’t correct, the treatment will be ineffective—or even cause harm. Unfortunately, misdiagnosis is common in the management of thyroid disorders. If a person visits a doctor with hypothyroid symptoms, she will simply be given replacement hormones without any further inquiry into the cause of her condition. Even worse, if she has hypothyroid symptoms but her lab tests are normal, she’ll be told that she’s “fine.” If the patient insists that she’s not “fine,” she might be sent home with an antidepressant, but with no further clue about the cause of her symptoms.

Italics mine. Because there's no "might be" about it. My first bout with modern endocrinology was me having a menopause from hell and them insisting on Prozac. I had to shoot fire out of my eyes and declare "I have hormone problem and I want a hormone solution." So then they gave me artificial hormones, which stopped working because my body is like that. (I suspect it somehow knew these weren't good for me, and stopped responding as a survival tactic.)

I always tested "fine." Now I know what that means. In short, jack-squaticil.

The crux of the whole thing is here:

Quote:
Conventional medicine is almost exclusively oriented toward “disease management”: using drugs or surgery to suppress symptoms.

And you wonder why we are all so incredibly sick? How fast would be bounce back from a head cold if we were sent to a Soviet gulag as a "cure" and kept drunk so we wouldn't notice? That's the science of symptom repression which is the INVERSE of actual healing.

Quote:
Many conventionally trained clinicians will simply run a TSH test and call it a day. However, this misses critical information you need about your patient’s thyroid metabolism. I always order a combination of thyroid markers, including TSH, T3, T4, free T3, free T4, and thyroid antibodies.

They NEVER did that. And it turns out chronic stress alone has an inhibiting effect on the workings of the thyroid, and in ways that will not show up on a lab test. I'd had so much stress, for so long, I actually had cortisol resistance. And, as Dr. Jack Kruse says, "the next stage is death." Sure felt like it sometimes.

Instead of wrestling with the clueless state of thyroid treatment, and since I'd never considered suppressed thyroid, I started taking Raw Thyroid. It is micronutrients and a bit of actual T3, somewhat like Armour (real thyroid from pigs.) It has been amazing; sleep, healing, and concentration all improved.

And I had no idea.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-19, 12:13

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Understanding your thyroid is pertinent to both weight and health. While this article is from 2016, it revamped the way I think, to my great benefit. So I wanted to share.

Guess what?

Italics mine. Because there's no "might be" about it. My first bout with modern endocrinology was me having a menopause from hell and them insisting on Prozac. I had to shoot fire out of my eyes and declare "I have hormone problem and I want a hormone solution." So then they gave me artificial hormones, which stopped working because my body is like that. (I suspect it somehow knew these weren't good for me, and stopped responding as a survival tactic.)

I always tested "fine." Now I know what that means. In short, jack-squaticil.

The crux of the whole thing is here:

And you wonder why we are all so incredibly sick? How fast would be bounce back from a head cold if we were sent to a Soviet gulag as a "cure" and kept drunk so we wouldn't notice? That's the science of symptom repression which is the INVERSE of actual healing.

They NEVER did that. And it turns out chronic stress alone has an inhibiting effect on the workings of the thyroid, and in ways that will not show up on a lab test. I'd had so much stress, for so long, I actually had cortisol resistance. And, as Dr. Jack Kruse says, "the next stage is death." Sure felt like it sometimes.

Instead of wrestling with the clueless state of thyroid treatment, and since I'd never considered suppressed thyroid, I started taking Raw Thyroid. It is micronutrients and a bit of actual T3, somewhat like Armour (real thyroid from pigs.) It has been amazing; sleep, healing, and concentration all improved.

And I had no idea.

WOW wearbear, this is a good one!!
Reading.....learning.....
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-19, 13:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Anti depressants are the go to prescription for the doctors apparently. When I was in need of HRT, an antidepressant was offered instead.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-19, 13:27

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Anti depressants are the go to prescription for the doctors apparently. When I was in need of HRT, an antidepressant was offered instead.

When my gut was so sick, I think I would have B-Slapped him if he had offered that!!

Well, I learned a lot. Here's one thing I learned, I should boil the cali and throw out the water because that's where the anti-nutrients end up. wow, who knew!
Contrary to the new fad, Kale should not be eaten raw.

Last edited by Meme#1 : Sat, Nov-23-19 at 14:04.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-19, 14:01

BF:

Quote:

It's not in my head it's in my ovaries you jerks!
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-23-19, 17:21

BF:

Crossed two docs off my list, found a third that us more progressive. Took several years to work thru this.... still not at 100%.

This totally down rates my view of docs for anything other than outright emergencies.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-24-19, 04:31

BF:

Quote:

Because there was a big study which showed it was "dangerous". But as I discovered when delving into it:
  • artifical, patented, hormones ARE NOT the real thing
  • giving them to women already a decade past menopause: not a good thing
  • over-emphasizing and unbalancing estrogen: not a good thing

So they did learn something, but as usual, it was all the wrong things.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-19, 03:02

BF:

Also, I wish to make clear that inflammation is just as bad for the thyroid as it is for any organ system. Hashimoto's is rampant on the Western Diet, and I think it's a giant contributing factor.

Women are especially vulnerable, and they are the ones urged to eat vegetarian, MORE SOY, lots of goitrogenic vegetables; no matter what their hormone complaint is, the "common wisdom" will make it worse.

In fact, it was the lack of any help with my menopause problem beyond a diet I already knew wouldn't work that drove me into self-care in a big way.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-19, 13:28

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

In my experience, eating too little fat (on a variety of diets) was what drove my thyroid into the underactive range. It was also depressing to be hungry & cold on low fat diets, including LC diets when I was also keeping my calories/fat too low rather than eating to satiety. Avoiding grains, legumes and dairy proteins keeps inflammation at bay and my thyroid stays in the normal range.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Nov-25-19 at 13:35.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-19, 21:35

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Here's one thing I learned, I should boil the cali and throw out the water because that's where the anti-nutrients end up. wow, who knew!

Or just not eat it everyday. Boiled cauliflower - most boiled vegetables - would gag me. But cauliflower isn't an everyday veg for me. When I do have it, it's usually sautéed in butter.

Another help is making sure you get enough iodine. I just started taking iodine; don't know if it's actually working this fast or is just a placebo effect, but my morning energy is much better.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-25-19, 22:32

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
Or just not eat it everyday. Boiled cauliflower - most boiled vegetables - would gag me. But cauliflower isn't an everyday veg for me. When I do have it, it's usually sautéed in butter.

Another help is making sure you get enough iodine. I just started taking iodine; don't know if it's actually working this fast or is just a placebo effect, but my morning energy is much better.

There you go, just don't eat it every day
Me too about hating boiled veggies. To me that's what people do who don't know how to cook them.
I've just always thought it's best to cook them in as little water possible to get all of the vitamins. Cooking in butter is the best!
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-19, 08:07

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
Cooking in butter is the best!

I cook almost everything in butter - it's fast, easy, & ever so tasty! There are a few exceptions, like delicata squash. Baked with the skin & seeds, coated with olive & toasted sesame oil. Heaven!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-19, 14:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Because there was a big study which showed it was "dangerous". But as I discovered when delving into it:
  • artifical, patented, hormones ARE NOT the real thing
  • giving them to women already a decade past menopause: not a good thing
  • over-emphasizing and unbalancing estrogen: not a good thing

So they did learn something, but as usual, it was all the wrong things.

Unfortunately the "top" docs are not in the know, that is hiw to use ither than the synthetic which what all prescribe. Hard to find a doc who will use the better options.

read dr northrups book before having surgery. Found out too late very few doctors are on board with her.

I discourage women from choosing oovoectomies as a preventative for ovarian cancer. Just trades a maybe cancer to a definite hormone deficiency. Abd I discourage genetic testing. You can only do what a doctor agrees with, itherwise they scream their license is at risk. No care for the now scewed up patient.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Nov-26-19, 17:32

BF:

Quote:
I discourage women from choosing oovoectomies as a preventative for ovarian cancer. Just trades a maybe cancer to a definite hormone deficiency.

After doing my research, I insisted they not "take out the whole thing" and they were astonished. I can only imagine the disaster that would have ensued had I not.
  #15   ^
Old Sat, Nov-30-19, 08:39

BF:

Update: thanks to these discussions, I've gotten an iodine supplement for me and DH, and upped my thyroid supplement to twice a day.

A study of the artificial hormone suggested that we get better absorption at night.