Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-19, 12:41

Plan: Banting
Stats: 302/187/187 Male 175cm
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
We need to push the ball along. Everyone has the ability to send emails to senators and congressmen. Can you imagine the impact of everyone here sending testimonials and a list of MDs already on board.

And I bet a good number of forum members have the time to speak up.

And some of us have been. This is clearly a marathon though, not a sprint.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-19, 14:04

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

you are the only one I know of, and I commend your speaking up.

Its time for EVERYONE to get emailing !!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-19, 15:42

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bevangel

At the very least, in evaluating diets for safety, efficacy, and adherence-ability, nutritionists ought to hold all the diets to the SAME standards. I'm just so tired of low-carb/ketogenic diets being held to a higher standards than all other diets and then being pooh-poohed because they don't meet that higher standard.
This!!!! It drives me crazy! Very few people stick to the low fat diet or any other diet. this is not a low carb/keto specific phenomenon.

What is going to kill me sooner, a low fat diet I can't stick to resulting in a 12.0 A1c as a result, or a low carb/keto diet which I actually can stick to resulting in an average 5.6 A1c over 4 years? I know which one I'm happy to be gambling my life on!

But no matter how many people see or hear of my success or the success of a myriad of others, it is so hard to convince others they can do it too, especially when their health professionals are un-supportive.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-19, 15:55

BF:
Exclamation

[QUOTE=Mycie14]This!!!! It drives me crazy! Very few people stick to the low fat diet or any other diet. this is not a low carb/keto specific phenomenon.

What is going to kill me sooner, a low fat diet I can't stick to resulting in a 12.0 A1c as a result, or a low carb/keto diet which I actually can stick to resulting in an average 5.6 A1c over 4 years? I know which one I'm happy to be gambling my life on!

But no matter how many people see or hear of my success or the success of a myriad of others, it is so hard to convince others they can do it too,

especially when their health professionals are un-supportive.[/QUOTE]

this is my point exactly. we MUST target the doctors with info from other doc , especially the teaching doctors like Dr Westmann.

Dr Jason Fung and Dr Noakes had to teach themselves the real truth about high carb diets, find a new method to treat diseases. In Dr Fungs case kidney disease.

Whereas, Dr Westmann was foreward thinking and spent ample time with Dr Atkins, and develped the obesity program at DUKE U.

We know there is a griwing faction of doctors supporting LC. HOW they can help change the establishment is foggy.

From my personal experience older doctors teach younger doctors, not the other way around. By far, ego is the elephant in the room. Ive met a few rare doctor that is without a HUGE ego.....so rare it is shocking.

So imho, we need established doctors to speak out and we also need to push for change.

If we dont, it will never happen. Slow is better than no change.

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Wed, Nov-20-19 at 14:55.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-19, 15:58

BF:

Maybe we can start listing Great sources with depth of material presented in common language to convey the low carb benefits to the non -science leaders that occupy the seats of congress.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Nov-19-19, 16:11

BF:

Both books and online postings like blogs and youtube postings.
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-19, 04:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

I spent a recent low afternoon watching some Youtube videos (joked with my younger brother, who "learns everything from vids") about the Keto Conference, and it's amazing how many learned, articulate, and educated health professionals ARE on board.

Considering the official line they are crossing.

All of them have tried it, loved it, and are enthusiastic ambassadors for the concept. We can be, too.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-19, 13:51

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I spent a recent low afternoon watching some Youtube videos (joked with my younger brother, who "learns everything from vids") about the Keto Conference, and it's amazing how many learned, articulate, and educated health professionals ARE on board.

Considering the official line they are crossing.

All of them have tried it, loved it, and are enthusiastic ambassadors for the concept. We can be, too.

Agreed. Love to see further adoption of any type of low carb, healthy whole food eating in the general population, and it will happen. This is an evolutionary not revolutionary change that has already started. As the numbers of Ambassadors increase, so too will the healthy eating population.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-19, 15:02

BF:

This biggest change must come from the top. Acknowledgement that LC is a safe option. And more hours of nutritional education for MDs. Twenty hours is a joke.

I took faaaaar more nutrition classes for feeding livestock and a basic pre-vet curriculum. Its sad when my vet tells me I understand feeding far more than she does.....

Medical training is not an education in nutrition. Not yet.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-19, 19:00

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
Unfortunately, there's a lot of work involved in trying various solutions, and unless you just happen to hit on the method that works for you the first time around, it becomes a very time consuming endeavor. Most people simply aren't willing to put that much effort into it.<...snip...>

I'm often amazed at the people who put so much effort into memorizing the plots of soap operas, sports figures and their stats from college to the present day, how to identify thousands of bird species, what the "royals" are up to, who wore what on the red carpet, what celebrity is cheating on who, what each Marvel character's super power is, and so much other relatively useless information but yet don't take the time to learn anything about their own body.

They take advice from those with letters after their name, it doesn't work, but they don't try anything else because the 'expert' said this was the thing to do.

I think the two most important things in life are (1) life itself and (2) good health. If you don't have either of those, nothing else matters. I would think that keeping your body health was more important than football scores or the royals. But then I've always been weird.

Bob
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-19, 20:35

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama

I think the two most important things in life are (1) life itself and (2) good health. If you don't have either of those, nothing else matters. I would think that keeping your body health was more important than football scores or the royals. But then I've always been weird.

Bob

And Im weird, too, lol
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-19, 04:15

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mycie14
But no matter how many people see or hear of my success or the success of a myriad of others, it is so hard to convince others they can do it too, especially when their health professionals are un-supportive.

Because so many people grow up in a culture where they are:
  • told what to do at all times
  • expected to conform, constantly and without argument
  • poverty culture which relies on cheap carbs
  • vulnerable to constant messaging they do not even think about: "these are my thoughts"
  • live in a culture where no one cooks
  • have no clue about nutrient/price ratios

Do not discount the impact of "sticker shock." I can get two takeout meals OR I can buy a big brisket which covers 3-4 meals. But people look at a hunk of meat, cry "That's so expensive" and buy "cheaper" junk food; which they eat so much of it winds up more expensive.

And we haven't even gotten into nutrients. It's actually cheaper to eat nothing but meat, if you are me. Easier, too.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-19, 04:28

BF:

Another element which cannot be discarded is that we are a little over into a century of Consumer Culture. It has convinced the weak-minded that they can choose their favorite facts the same way they choose their coffee or their hairstyle.

Even if they don't articulate it, I see it on their face. "But I don't want to give up my xyz! These other people say..."

Personal choice is a great thing. But it doesn't apply to facts.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-19, 07:44

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

My daughter is very much a stereotypical Type A oldest child. She's now down in DC running with the rich and powerful. She tells me ALL the elite are low carb. Senators, congresspeople, business leaders, etc. Think about it - how many of them are really fat? There aren't cookies and other sweets around their offices anymore. Just trays of nuts. This is not about educating these people. This is all about money. Big Ag. Big Pharma. Call me jaded, but I don't think the elites care what the little people think.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Nov-21-19, 08:25

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

WereBear, those are good points about perceived value due to sticker shock. Working at a grocery store for so many years, I would often see poorer customers remove what few proteins were in their order (even very inexpensive meats, such as a rock bottom priced value-pack of chicken thighs) because they didn't have enough money to pay for everything, but they'd keep all the breads, pastas, chips, cereals, and sugary sodas. Even though the package of chicken thighs cost about $5-$7, it was only about $1/pound, and had enough thighs in it to provide several meals. The price per pound for the cheap and sale brands of chips and cereal averaged closer to $3-$5 per pound, but each package cost so much less than that one package of chicken legs that they could only see the price per package, not the price for a full meal. They'd end up using 4 or 5 carb based foods for a meal, which left them desperately hungry again in an hour or two, so they'd fill up on more carbs, rinse and repeat all day long, costing them far more than a day's worth of non-carby food would have cost.

Just to give an example of how much more filling a protein based meal is, DH is not LC, not by any means. But occasionally, he'll eat the exact same LC meal I'm eating, without adding any carbs to it. But I'm preaching to the choir here...

As an example, the other day I made "pizza chicken" (chicken breasts pounded very, very thin, spread with a little tomato sauce, topped with mozarella, pepperoni, olives, mushrooms, italian spices, garlic and onion, with some parmesan on top, and baked. When I cut each pizza chicken breast in half, each half breast was approximately 6" across, so we each had one of those pieces for dinner. I served the leftover pizza chicken a couple nights later, and asked DH if he wanted anything else with it, and he admitted it didn't look like much (he's used to his plate being much more full (of carbs), but that it was "deceptively filling". Well yes, it's very filling - Since he doesn't normally eat LC, he's used to needing a lot more food to feel as full as that relatively smallish looking dinner made him feel.

Maybe some day he'll give up the excess carbs. Small light bulb moments, small steps....

Quote:
(originally posted by Bob)
I'm often amazed at the people who put so much effort into memorizing the plots of soap operas, sports figures and their stats from college to the present day, how to identify thousands of bird species, what the "royals" are up to, who wore what on the red carpet, what celebrity is cheating on who, what each Marvel character's super power is, and so much other relatively useless information but yet don't take the time to learn anything about their own body.

They take advice from those with letters after their name, it doesn't work, but they don't try anything else because the 'expert' said this was the thing to do.

Bob -

The things that people take such an avid interest in - those are not life and death issues. Oh, they may be just as intense in their support of their preferred team/player, or their constant desire for more celebrity gossip, etc as if it was life and death. But none of that affects them at such a deep, personal level that it's a life or death matter. Sometimes, I think they feel comfortable being so intense about those interests, simply because it's not a life or death matter for them, even though the way they talk about it sometimes, you'd think their very existence depended on those inconsequential matters.

I think the whole problem is that when it comes to your health, that really is a life or death matter, but they believe it to be so incredibly complicated that they could never handle it by themselves. They know they couldn't get into med school, only the smartest of the smart kids in school had what it took to do that, much less make it through however many years of college, med school, all the testing and residency training to become a full fledged doctor. So they trust the "pro" to handle their health issues (just like the allegory of trusting a pro to handle the brake job on your car, as opposed to trying to do it yourself). They believe that the pro has the training that means they (supposedly) know what's best. They have heard the phrase "consult your physician" enough to believe only your physician will know what's best for you. Even when what the pro tells you to do doesn't work, or makes things worse, they still believe that the one who is trained in these matters will make a better decision than they possibly can.

People are often completely flummoxed when a doctor turns a decision about their health care over to them - should I have this treatment or opt for that treatment? They're suddenly faced with the need to learn something about the risks and advantages of each treatment choice... it's scary to them when the life or death decision is turned over to them.

It's even more complicated when there's a quality of life decision involved, such as when a diabetic is told by a doctor that they can either change their lifestyle completely by significantly cutting carbs out of their diet (assuming their doctor will even suggest LC), or they can continue to eat whatever they like, test blood sugar regularly, and inject insulin to cover whatever they've eaten, even if they're warned that they'll very likely experience long term diabetic problems (limb amputation, blindness, heart problems, liver problems, death). Which will affect their quality of life the most: Giving up the foods they've loved all their life (present and immediate drastic change in lifelong eating habits, on top of the shock of a devastating diagnosis), or continue as they've been doing, but risk long term health consequences (a prognosis that might not happen for decades, and there's always the hope that there may even be a cure available long before any of those horrible things happen to him, while still enjoying the foods they've always loved).

I can't imagine going through decades of life happily consuming every carby food on the planet, and suddenly being faced with that kind of diagnosis at this time of year, considering that most newly diagnosed as T2 know nothing about alternative LC foods, much less how to prepare LC foods. Can you imagine going into the holidays with the sudden realization (a mere week before the feasts and parties start) that the only thing you can eat on the thanksgiving table will be the turkey (all the sides are full of blood sugar raising carbs! And you won't be able to eat any pumpkin pie either!), that there will be literally nothing at the parties you can eat and not drive your blood sugar through the roof (unless they have a cheese and meat tray, and that will probably be nixed as being too fatty and full of cholesterol - it'll take a while to overcome the low fat propaganda), and Christmas dinner you'll again be limited to a little meat again. That would be very depressing to a lot of people, because the traditional food and drink is so much a part of their holiday traditions. No wonder people opt to just eat whatever they want, and cover it with insulin.

So I understand in a way why they think the way they do - I'm not trying to make excuses for their choice to just allow the doctors to tell them what to do, never questioning doctor's orders, just offer an explanation for the rationale behind that decision, no matter how twisted that seems to us, who are seeing things from a completely different angle.