Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Atkins Diet
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-19, 10:57

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 240.0/167.2/155 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/29.5/25
Progress: 86%
Default Eyeballing "maintenance"

I started this with a BMI of 35. (Halfway between "obese" and "morbidly obese".) I'm now about half a pound from not being overweight.

So for the first time ever, I'm looking at "maintenance."

Some caveats: I was diagnosed with diabetes last fall, so... some things are going to be forever "no-nos" for me that might otherwise be "acceptable" at this stage. And I've been doing a lot of IF this go-round, to help control my blood sugar and liver panels. It's been a high-stress year, and I find that IF also helps offset/control emotional eating.

Years ago, I was succesfully losing on Atkins, until The Year Of Five Funerals happened. I'd gotten thinner than I could remember, and was buying clothes that were too tight, expecting to have them fit in a few months.

Well, there were a couple sleeveless button-up tops that were too tight, and never fit properly. Ever. But I kept them in my closet.

Yesterday, I put one on. It's a little baggy.

It's a little baggy.

This shirt I've literally never been able to wear.

Like, if I were buying it today, I'd probably try on a size smaller.

I cannot wrap my brain around some of my measurements. I'm 1" off of a "perfect" figure...(decades ago, in a sewing class, a "perfect figure" was defined as one where hips/bust were the same, and waist was 10" smaller than both.)

And when I look at sizing-charts, the sizes I need to buy are... "too small". My preferred way to buy clothes is online (who has time to waste, going to a store), but I feel like I need to do some in-person shopping, because I don't trust that a Size 14 or 16 (see how I had to add in the 16?) is going to fit me. My waist is smaller than I remember it being this century. None of my bras fit (except that new one I bought... going to be getting more, but I think a cup-size down. That's not a complaint, there...)

But now, at half-a-pound-from-normal-weight, I'm beginning rapidly to see why Dr. Atkins devoted so much time & energy to "maintenance" and "pre-maintenance".

Because, with my appetite nearly gone most of the time (I'm hungry enough to eat maybe once a day.... maybe less), it would be really easy to drop another 20, but I'm not sure I want to go that low. Right now, I can still wear my "skinny clothes" from before, and a lot of my dresses (back-ties are your friend), although I clearly need to start buying new clothes for my new size. If I drop another 20, none of those things will be true.

And I don't think being that rail-thin at my age will look good on me or be especially healthy. (I've got a huge frame. Wide shoulders and hips. After high school, I had major surgery, and lost a lot of weight, during the recovery process, and got down to 145. The weight loss wasn't intentional or desired, and I know how I looked then, even though by the charts I was in the "normal" range. I have a big skeleton, so I need more meat on it.)

But normal, comfy nightgowns I bought this past winter have become "off-the-shoulder" garments for me, which is so very weird.

My BMI, today, is 25.1. I want to get it below that, and I'd like to try out being 165 lbs. But I don't think I want to go below that.

Guess it's time to start aiming for the "maintain"!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-19, 12:32

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
But now, at half-a-pound-from-normal-weight, I'm beginning rapidly to see why Dr. Atkins devoted so much time & energy to "maintenance" and "pre-maintenance".

If you have a copy of DANDR, now is the time for rereading as it has sooo many tips and cautions. Great book.

When I held at 202 lbs for a couple years, maintaining became normal. It still required thoughtful chioces. In some ways maintenance is harder. Eating to drop poundage is a different mentality than maintaining.However, It does become easy because we have internalized the rules of success.

We can never go back to the old ways..... do whatever you have to do to not gain it back. Getting it off the next time is harder and harder.

You know your triggers..... set up a plan ,a nonfood option when a crisis hits. Understand how cortisol packs on weight and sends food cravings rocketing. Foil distress.

Friday night DH was in an accident that sent him over a rock wall to miss an idiot driver that didnt see him. Aka failed to stop. Car stoved in his driver door anyway. For me, It was a long sleepless night, distress an understatement. I realized the cost of this if cortisol levels didnt drop. My health was paramount. Using a special chant, the anxiety dropped and I could finally sleep. Put this one in your arsonal for future stress. It works. Breath in nose and think," I am...", then breath out thru mouth and think "peace...." Just 1-2-3 times max. It works.

One hundred hip-hip-horrays to your success. Enjoys those "new" clothes....give yourself a pat on the back...... you did it!!!!!

Last edited by Ms Arielle : Sun, Nov-03-19 at 12:41.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-19, 13:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Friday night DH was in an accident that sent him over a rock wall to miss an idiot driver that didnt see him. Aka failed to stop. Car stoved in his driver door anyway. For me, It was a long sleepless night, distress an understatement.

Good heavens, hope he's OK!

And yes, when I say "stressful year", that's exactly the kind of thing I mean... There was the week where the kids & I were on the run... there was the car accident, just a couple months ago. There was.... It's been that kind of year.

And when the stress is high -- and I'm the only adult here to take care of everyone and everything -- I see myself doing "emotional eating". ie: eating for comfort, not hunger. Sometimes, I choose to go with it, and just keep my foods on-plan. I'll gain a bit, but in a way that's easy to correct. Other times, I'll declare, "I'm fasting today", and kill the craving with broth. (Love me some Simple Girl boulion.) There's other tools in my bag, but when it comes to the eating aspect, those are my two main ones. I kind of know where I am, and I choose accordingly. If I'm at a place where I've been giving in a lot, I'll plan a fast-day. If I've just really been run to the end of my rope (and happen to be short of sleep as well), I may "give in", feeding the cravings with on-plan foods, to avoid giving in by breaking plan.

Path of least damage.

But I am 70 lbs less than I was one year ago... and I've no desire to gain any of that back.

I had a pile of clothes on the back of my sewing chair that I was going to take in a few months ago. Since then I've lost enough it's not even worth it: I need to donate them.

My feet have even gotten shorter. I went from a size 10/10.5 to 8.5. (Feet have always been narrow... now they're *shorter* again. Guess I press down on them less.)

I'm looking at buying some fitted-dresses for work, even. (Instead of the knit ones that've been my choice for decades.)

But yeah, it's kinda crazy, being this close to goal. Getting ready to go on eShakti and order some made-to-my-measurement jeans! (the ultimate reward!)
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-19, 14:15

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

For me maintenance hasn't ever looked much different than what I was eating when I was losing.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-19, 15:51

BF:

Sometimes its enough just to survive..... and you have. The responsibility of children gives us grey hair. You have surived well!!

Quote:
But yeah, it's kinda crazy, being this close to goal. Getting ready to go on eShakti and order some made-to-my-measurement jeans! (the ultimate reward!)

Yup dump the clothes, and grab those jeans. Of course we need a pic!! ( only if you want to)

Just thrilled for you and your accomplishment!!
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-19, 18:14

Plan: Keto IMO Atkins 72 Induct
Stats: 283/229/180 Female 5'3"
BF:mini goal 250, 225
Progress: 52%

No comments about your plan but ... congratulations on your achievements!!!!!
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-19, 19:01

Plan: Primal/IF
Stats: 220/165/176 Female 5'10"
BF:~40%/26.3%/29%
Progress: 125%

Hey Literate,

We are at a similar place – I reached my goal weight and have decided I’d like to lose a few more kgs to settle at about 75kg (165 pounds).

I have recently been transitioning to more of a maintenance diet – Adding in more fruit and the occasional treat and am now very slowly losing. I think for me maintenance will be pretty much what I have been eating over the last 17 months but with the added treat like occasional GF pasta, orange juice, popcorn, more rice etc.

Clothes wise it’s been a bit strange for me, I am now a comfortable 14 (10 US) but still feel like I’m an 18 or 20. I have just started buying a few size 14 and 12 dresses online (And a new bra, went from an 18E to 14C!) and they have all fitted really well. I think it will take time for my brain to realise that I am really a size 12 or 14.

Congratulations on your weight loss and the new healthy you!
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Nov-03-19, 20:19

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
For me maintenance hasn't ever looked much different than what I was eating when I was losing.
Same here. The only thing that made DANDR work for me was following it FOR LIFE. Previously, returns to "normal eating" caused me to gain all of the weight back. My body cannot handle grain, legume & dairy proteins without causing inflammation and urges to binge eat.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 01:03

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

For me, maintenance has been very similar to losing. But then, everything has evolved. I still keep a meticulous food log. Still keep track of my time-restricted eating and IF. And still discover new things such as what to avoid (for indigestion). I still practice induction most of the time, but my menu ingredients are not limited by DANDR or any other guideline or book, but what works for me. It's rare that I'll add a food or ingredient nowadays, but it happens, and I keep an eye on things / the effect of the addition.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 10:07

Plan: Atkins/Duke diet
Stats: 267/173.8/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 76%

LiterateGr -I can understand your musings as I am almost in that place myself. I have moved from obese to overweight in the BMI chart and have another 29 pounds to go to be "normal". I can't wait......I will be so glad to be listed as "normal" on the doctor's reports. I hate picking one up and seeing myself listed as obese! I have lost 90 pounds and have been sitting on that for a while = practicing maintenance before I should!

Like you, I found it weird to try on clothes and find them too big. I too order online and have guessed at a smaller size only to get them and find them too big. Its a nice problem....we have to change our mindset.

Glad you mentioned the nightgowns as I have been wondering what in the world is wrong with me.....shoulders falling off....I thought maybe one should was dropped or something.....that is one area I have not replaced. All those 2X gowns are way too big now.

Hang in there and enjoy maintenance. For me, it is adding fruit, which I LOVE and missed. I eat blueberries almost every day and other fruit in season. I try not to eat too much of it,

OK guys.....what is DANDR?
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 11:02

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:

Larger nightgowns = extra layer (or several) of warmth on cold winter nights :-)
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 15:38

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal

Took the words right . . . Yes, this is what has worked for me. I may occasionally eat more, but it's always lc friendly. I may very rarely eat something different, and the major rule for me is zero processed food and zero sugars or desserts. I've been maintaining successfully for over 8 years eating whole foods and not deviating. You will find consistency results in good, predictable outcomes.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 17:18

Plan: Dr. Bernstein, low carb
Stats: 200/178/155 Female 68
BF:
Progress: 49%

Congratulations on your achievement! Enjoy revamping your wardrobe to fit your new body.

Like you, I am a T2 diabetic. From my experience in maintenance, one might get a bit more leeway in the number of carbs as long as they remain from veggie and other low carb sources to keep control of Bg's and one's appetite.

Until I let off program carbs creep back in, I maintained fairly easily by eating to hunger and just quitting the measuring my cauliflower, broccoli, spaghetti squash, etc. Maybe some berries more often or some wine. So a few more carbs, but primarily from the foods I had been eating.

From reading other's experiences, as well as my own, your weight will likely settle without your having to do too much, just by keeping doing what you've been doing: eating low carb, managing stress and being conscious of emotional eating. Your strategies have got you here, so they will continue to work if you work them!
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Nov-04-19, 18:53

BF:

DANDR

Dr Atkins book, in its many editions.

Dr Atkins New Diet Revolution

It was my first good diet book. Fabulous actually. He presents the studies and facts about why low carb works and what it is. Tackles all the emotions of food, eating, obsession and how it affects us and solutions to manage it all.

Though Others have added to the lc way of eating in the nearly 20 years since the last edition, I find it the bible of low carbing.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-05-19, 13:11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbangle
Glad you mentioned the nightgowns as I have been wondering what in the world is wrong with me.....

Found myself wearing one "in public" recently (short hospital stay) and was kinda shocked by how hard it was not to seem half-indecent in it.

I have a photo in it (weigh-loss site) from April, and it fit just fine. Now... won't stay on.