Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-26-19, 22:38

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Yes, two ingredients, that’s all I use. I find the mozzarella the most versatile but I’ve tried parmesan, cheddar, jack cheese. They were all good too. Every so often I treat myself to about 4 ounces of liverwurst at the local deli and the adorable little round chaffle and the round liverwurst slices make a perfect combo. 😉

That is good to know. I am obsessed by liverwurst but you really need something with it because of the texture. I am going to try this if I can pick up a thrift store waffle iron.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-19, 20:23

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
That is good to know. I am obsessed by liverwurst but you really need something with it because of the texture. I am going to try this if I can pick up a thrift store waffle iron.

I was considering trying to make them using my regular waffle iron, but someone on another site said she tried it with a regular waffle iron, and it didn't really work well - something about the regular waffle iron making too thick of a waffle to cook properly all the way through without burning, but that the little DASH waffle irons work just right. (I had also been considering trying my pizzelle maker - but I realize that wouldn't work well either, because it squeezes everything too thin for it to work right for making chaffles)

The good news is that the DASH mini waffle makers are not expensive - I've checked out several websites, and they seem to regularly be available for around $10. (Amazon has them at about $15 right now)
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Sep-27-19, 23:08

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calianna
I was considering trying to make them using my regular waffle iron, but someone on another site said she tried it with a regular waffle iron, and it didn't really work well - something about the regular waffle iron making too thick of a waffle to cook properly all the way through without burning, but that the little DASH waffle irons work just right. (I had also been considering trying my pizzelle maker - but I realize that wouldn't work well either, because it squeezes everything too thin for it to work right for making chaffles)

The good news is that the DASH mini waffle makers are not expensive - I've checked out several websites, and they seem to regularly be available for around $10. (Amazon has them at about $15 right now)

Thank you for that tip!
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-19, 00:11

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

Quote:
DASH waffle iron
^ That is a good tip. Looks like the one used in the video.

#20   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-19, 08:59

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Yeah the DASH maker is exactly right. I paid $9.99 for mine on amazon but I guess price can vary. And the basic recipe (1/2 cup grated cheese, one egg) makes exactly two perfect DASH-sized chaffles.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-19, 09:30

BF:

Yup - mine was &9.99 shipped on amazon also - using my 30 day free trail of prime.

#22   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-19, 09:57
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

I got the Oster small electric waffle iron and I've been very happy with it. I used my minute muffin recipe (with ground flax seeds). It's non-stick and I just laid a cheese slice on the heated iron, covered it with the mix, added another slice of cheese, closed and waited. It was good, and I didn't mind that the cheese didn't totally cover the waffle. Nothing burned.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-19, 10:00

BF:

Going to start with cheddar chaffles when the unit arrives as that's the kind of cheese that's around ( for quiche and cheeseburger pies). Maybe throw in some bacon!

#24   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-19, 16:21

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

I've only made chaffle(s) once so far, and did it in my regular sized non stick waffle maker, on medium heat. Didn't burn, and was cooked through. Parenthesis around the "s" because the basic recipe only makes one regular sized chaffle. The little waffle maker is certainly cute, but I am working on getting rid of some of the many gadgets in my kitchen, not adding new ones :-)
  #25   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-19, 17:53

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by s93uv3h
Going to start with cheddar chaffles when the unit arrives as that's the kind of cheese that's around ( for quiche and cheeseburger pies). Maybe throw in some bacon!

All the recipes I've seen say to use shredded cheese - The bags of pre-shredded cheeses always have a coating of starch and/or cellulose on the shreds in order to keep them from sticking together in the bag. I've always bought blocks of cheese and shredded it myself, because it's far less expensive (I have an old salad shooter - perfect for shredding directly into a storage container, but the shredding disk on a food processor would work just as well), so there's no starchy coating on my shredded cheese.

Does anyone know if that will make a difference in how well the chaffle recipe works? I still haven't bought one of the little DASH waffle irons, but before I do, I want to make sure the pre-shredded (coated) cheese isn't absolutely necessary for this recipe. I don't want to risk messing up a brand new waffle iron if that starchy coating is vital to making sure the non-stick surface actually releases the melted cheese, or to ensure the recipe cooks correctly.
  #26   ^
Old Sat, Sep-28-19, 21:01

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Quote:
All the recipes I've seen say to use shredded cheese - The bags of pre-shredded cheeses always have a coating of starch and/or cellulose on the shreds in order to keep them from sticking together in the bag. I've always bought blocks of cheese and shredded it myself, because it's far less expensive (I have an old salad shooter - perfect for shredding directly into a storage container, but the shredding disk on a food processor would work just as well), so there's no starchy coating on my shredded cheese.

Does anyone know if that will make a difference in how well the chaffle recipe works? I still haven't bought one of the little DASH waffle irons, but before I do, I want to make sure the pre-shredded (coated) cheese isn't absolutely necessary for this recipe. I don't want to risk messing up a brand new waffle iron if that starchy coating is vital to making sure the non-stick surface actually releases the melted cheese, or to ensure the recipe cooks correctly.

I made mine with mozzarella, shredded on my old fashioned 4 sided shredder by me, 1 egg from my feathered friends in the chicken coop, and a spoonful or two of almond flour. No sticking, no burning, and I even left it in a little longer than recommended because it was at medium heat and wasn't browning quickly. Cheese tends to have enough fat to make sticking a moot point, but if you are worried you might brush a bit of oil on the surfaces before you begin.
Now I think I need to use the rest of the mozzarella and make another chaffle for lunch tomorrow :-)
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-19, 00:50

BF:

Quote:
All the recipes I've seen say to use shredded cheese - The bags of pre-shredded cheeses always have a coating of starch and/or cellulose on the shreds in order to keep them from sticking together in the bag. I've always bought blocks of cheese and shredded it myself, because it's far less expensive (I have an old salad shooter - perfect for shredding directly into a storage container, but the shredding disk on a food processor would work just as well), so there's no starchy coating on my shredded cheese...
I get my cheddar sliced in one pound packs from the deli. Then chop them with a knife until they are shredded.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-19, 16:43

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/171/165 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Does anyone know if that will make a difference in how well the chaffle recipe works?

I think hand shredded works a little better, actually. My shredded cheese had gone off (ah, cooking for one), but I happened to have a bit of a block of Monterrey Jack that I just finely chopped.

So tasty with cream cheese and EBTB.
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-19, 17:16

BF:

Thanks for the info, everyone!

I have lots of eggs, and lots of cheese on hand - Now, I just need to get out to one of the local stores that still has some DASH mini waffle makers in stock!
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Sep-29-19, 18:23

BF:

I made a big one tonight in a very old-fashioned waffle maker and it was great. One corner was sticky so I might oil the waffle maker next time. Otherwise it was perfect!