Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone


Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 13:33
HappyLC HappyLC is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,837
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/177/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 45%
Location: Long Island, NY
Default High fasting BS

My husband finally got onboard with low carb and has been doing it for the past nine months, except for some cheating on holidays. He likes it and has lost about 40 pounds. He recently started testing his blood sugar and was shocked to discover how high his fasting BS is. I've read up on it, and know that low carb can cause higher fasting blood sugars, but this morning his was 131!

Any ideas? Advice?
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 14:54
teaser's Avatar
teaser teaser is online now
Senior Member
Posts: 13,581
 
Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%
Location: Ontario
Default

If he's only recently started testing his blood glucose, when already low carb--you don't have a baseline. You could have him test his blood glucose while on a stint of a higher carb diet, I guess. Typically I hear about low carb putting somebody around the 90-110 area, if it gives them higher fasting blood glucose.

A few possibilities. One, sometimes a box of strips just sucks, I once had my fasting blood glucose testing near the prediabetic range, that lasted as long as that box of strips.

Another possibility is that his blood glucose was already running high. You don't really know if his fasting blood glucose is running higher on low carb--it might even be running lower than it was before low carb.

What are his postprandial blood sugars like? If a low carb meal doesn't move them that much, that's probably a good sign.
Reply With Quote
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-03-19, 15:15
deirdra's Avatar
deirdra deirdra is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 3,983
 
Plan: HF/vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%
Location: Alberta
Default

Could be the Dawn Phenomenon or Somogyi effect - check out:
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/heal...-in-the-morning

Also, some BG monitors require recalibration whenever you start a new package of strips.
Reply With Quote
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 07:02
HappyLC HappyLC is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,837
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/177/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 45%
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
If he's only recently started testing his blood glucose, when already low carb--you don't have a baseline. You could have him test his blood glucose while on a stint of a higher carb diet, I guess. Typically I hear about low carb putting somebody around the 90-110 area, if it gives them higher fasting blood glucose.

A few possibilities. One, sometimes a box of strips just sucks, I once had my fasting blood glucose testing near the prediabetic range, that lasted as long as that box of strips.

Another possibility is that his blood glucose was already running high. You don't really know if his fasting blood glucose is running higher on low carb--it might even be running lower than it was before low carb.

What are his postprandial blood sugars like? If a low carb meal doesn't move them that much, that's probably a good sign.


His fasting blood sugar at the doctor last year, before low carb, was 97. And he did a test that came with the meter...apparently the strips are fine. I'll ask about his post-prandials. Thanks for the suggestions.
Reply With Quote
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-19, 07:04
HappyLC HappyLC is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,837
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/177/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 45%
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
Could be the Dawn Phenomenon or Somogyi effect - check out:
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/heal...-in-the-morning

Also, some BG monitors require recalibration whenever you start a new package of strips.


Since he doesn't have diabetes, I didn't think those applied.
Reply With Quote
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 08:34
LiterateGr's Avatar
LiterateGr LiterateGr is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 118
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240.0/185/170 Female 5 '9"
BF:36/31/?
Progress: 79%
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
Since he doesn't have diabetes, I didn't think those applied.


Does he have fatty liver? (Answer: If he's overweight, his liver is fatty, even if he's not yet symptomatic. That's the first place your body starts stashing excess carbs, before it turns it into fat everywhere else.)

When I started testing, I was really upset/confused by this, too. But his liver is finally being free to dump that glycogen (which is then converted into glucose).

IF helped me get my fasting BG numbers back where they should be. (I didn't start until 3 or 4 months back on the LC wagon, when my hunger went away. At that point, IF became easy.)

The Diabetes Code by Dr. Fung helped me understand a lot. (I was able to borrow an e-copy from my library, using Hoopla. Great if you're impatient. )
Reply With Quote
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-07-19, 10:45
HappyLC HappyLC is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,837
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/177/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 45%
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiterateGr
IF helped me get my fasting BG numbers back where they should be. (I didn't start until 3 or 4 months back on the LC wagon, when my hunger went away. At that point, IF became easy.)


I think intermittent fasting might be a good option for him. Even before low carb he never had a problem skipping meals. I will suggest it. Thanks!
Reply With Quote
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jun-10-19, 12:31
locarb4avr locarb4avr is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 258
 
Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%
Location: 92646
Default

Sources of blood sugars are food(protein, carb, fat), Glycogen, body protein breakdown and fat breakdown.

Just don't know why there is a demand of blood sugar? The only part of body we know of that needs carb is brain. Carb created by body is enough to cover that already. This is why people keep calling keto diet.

You can try no carb for couple days to weeks to see the blood test results. If it is food, then you can relax. You just need to adjust the ratio of food.

Last edited by locarb4avr : Mon, Jun-10-19 at 12:38.
Reply With Quote
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 10:19
HappyLC HappyLC is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,837
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/177/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 45%
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by locarb4avr
You can try no carb for couple days to weeks to see the blood test results. If it is food, then you can relax. You just need to adjust the ratio of food.


Thanks. This morning he had 105, which isn't too bad. Didn't really make any changes. But I'll pass on the advice.
Reply With Quote
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 10:31
JEY100's Avatar
JEY100 JEY100 is offline
To Good Health!
Posts: 11,155
 
Plan: IF Fung/LC Westman/Primal
Stats: 222/171/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/25.3%/24%
Progress: 96%
Location: NC
Default

And since he has been Keto for nine months already, and successfully lost weight...it may be normal "Adaptive Glucose Sparing" Read about that, and a few other possibilities at:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...-glucose-higher
Reply With Quote
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-12-19, 11:34
HappyLC HappyLC is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,837
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/177/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 45%
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
And since he has been Keto for nine months already, and successfully lost weight...it may be normal "Adaptive Glucose Sparing" Read about that, and a few other possibilities at:

https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb...-glucose-higher


That was my first thought, Janet, but 130 seemed quite high, even for adaptive glucose sparing. It's down a little now, and I'm thinking it might have been stress...I don't know. Thanks so much for you input.
Reply With Quote
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Jun-22-19, 22:04
Myca Myca is offline
New Member
Posts: 14
 
Plan: Atkins?
Stats: 219.0/214.8/125 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default

How is your husband's blood sugar now?
Reply With Quote
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-19, 09:13
GRB5111's Avatar
GRB5111 GRB5111 is online now
Posts: 3,016
 
Plan: Ketogenic (LCHFKD)
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%
Location: Herndon, VA
Default

It was not unusual for my BG to be higher in the morning. It would change over the course of the day and was normal after meals, so I attributed it to dawn phenomenon. After 18 months or so, I had my HbA1c tested and was at 4.9, so over the 3 months prior to the test, I was in a good zone. That's why I attributed those morning highs to dawn phenomenon. Sometimes it takes a while for the metabolic responses to adjust even after going strict keto. It's typically a lag effect.
Reply With Quote
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-19, 12:45
HappyLC HappyLC is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,837
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/177/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 45%
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myca
How is your husband's blood sugar now?


About the same. He was 124 this morning.
Reply With Quote
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jun-23-19, 12:48
HappyLC HappyLC is offline
Senior Member
Posts: 1,837
 
Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/177/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 45%
Location: Long Island, NY
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
It was not unusual for my BG to be higher in the morning. It would change over the course of the day and was normal after meals, so I attributed it to dawn phenomenon. After 18 months or so, I had my HbA1c tested and was at 4.9, so over the 3 months prior to the test, I was in a good zone. That's why I attributed those morning highs to dawn phenomenon. Sometimes it takes a while for the metabolic responses to adjust even after going strict keto. It's typically a lag effect.


Thatís really good to hear - 4.9 is amazing.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 23:32.


Copyright © 2000-2019 Active Low-Carber Forums @ forum.lowcarber.org
Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.