Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-17-19, 00:27

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Extreme low-carb diet may speed aging and dull cognition, Japanese team's study on mi

Quote:
Extreme low-carb diet may speed aging and dull cognition, Japanese team's study on mice finds

Continuing an extreme low-carbohydrate diet stringently for a long time may accelerate aging and lead to a shorter life span, according to a recent study by a group of Japanese scientists.

While pointing out that a low-carb diet is effective in reducing visceral fat and preventing blood sugar spikes, Tsuyoshi Tsuzuki, associate professor in agricultural science at Tohoku University, stressed that it “should be supervised by experts as part of medical treatment.”

In the research project, Tsuzuki and colleagues divided laboratory mice with life expectancies of about a year into three groups — one fed with a balanced diet, one with a fatty diet and one with a low-carb diet with increased protein.

The mice on the low-carb diet, in which the rodents got only 20 percent of total calories from carbohydrates, was seen as equivalent to a human skipping staples in three daily meals.

They found that the low-carb diet group died an average of eight to nine weeks ahead of the group on a balanced diet. The low-carb group also died earlier than the fatty diet group.

In addition, the low-carb group’s cognitive ability declined to about half that of the group on a balanced diet.

The researchers also observed that bad bacteria increased while good ones decreased in the bowels of mice on the low-carb diet, suggesting that the diet had an impact on the aging of the mice.

The findings were expected to be presented during a three-day general meeting of the Japan Society of Nutrition and Food Science that started Friday in the city of Shizuoka.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2...s/#.XN5Ts0xFxZU
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-17-19, 05:41

Plan: Higher P/Moderate F + C
Stats: 152/146.6/130 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 25%

So, mice.

And then where's the group that was fed a lower carb, higher fat diet? Why did they only test lower carb, higher protein? We know excess protein isn't a good thing...
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-17-19, 05:57

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

>>> interesting! <<<
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-17-19, 06:37

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDawn
So, mice.

And then where's the group that was fed a lower carb, higher fat diet? Why did they only test lower carb, higher protein? We know excess protein isn't a good thing...

Actually we don't all know that about protein. Think carnivore diet for starters. I eat a fairly high protein diet. Donald Layman is a good source for info on protein requirements as is Ted Naiman.

But i absolutely agree that this mouse study tells us nothing of value.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-17-19, 07:38
Registered Member

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 140/140/000 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

All I can think of is "poor little mice!" Forced to eat mice-chow! They could be in my cupboards now eating up whatever they can scrounge!!!!!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-17-19, 09:14

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The diet isn't described in adequate detail for me to really have an opinion here. Twenty percent carbs, okay, what else? Was it very high in protein, or fat, or sort of split between the two?

Twenty percent carbohydrate chow sounds pretty yummy. What kind of carbs? Was sugar involved? Was the chow just more yummy than the other two chows--that could easily lead to a pattern of constant snacking and overeating, circadian disruption, etc.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-17-19, 10:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Mice??? Rarely when in the outdoors do I ever see mice hunting rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, elk, or anything else for its meat. Mouse/rat studies? Color me suspicious of gleaning any value from these rodent studies.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-18-19, 06:56
Registered Member

Plan: Dirty Carnivore
Stats: 140/140/000 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Valter Longo might be interested in this. He finds the opposite in his mice.

Let's allow the poor mice a bit of a break. It occurs to me that we already have enough studies with real people. The Biggest Loser is an experiment gone horribly wrong. Weight Watchers is a 50 year experiment that has gone horribly wrong. Veganism is a 100 year experiment that has gone horribly wrong for most of the participants. Joel Furman's way of eating has gone horribly wrong for many as they slide into diabetes.

Yet we continue. There are none so blind at those who will not see.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, May-29-19, 10:20

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111
Mice??? Rarely when in the outdoors do I ever see mice hunting rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks, deer, elk, or anything else for its meat. Mouse/rat studies? Color me suspicious of gleaning any value from these rodent studies.

All our mice seem to be vegetarians. They go after the chicken food & live under the chicken house. When we first moved to the cabin mice would come in & eat all sorts of grains & beans in plastic bags or containers. I quickly learned to store everything in jars. Our present house is much more mouse-proof - but then, there's not much for them to eat now.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, May-29-19, 10:27

Plan: LCHF, no breakfast.
Stats: 256/178/140 Female 5ft 3"
BF:
Progress: 67%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
All our mice seem to be vegetarians. They go after the chicken food & live under the chicken house. When we first moved to the cabin mice would come in & eat all sorts of grains & beans in plastic bags or containers. I quickly learned to store everything in jars. Our present house is much more mouse-proof - but then, there's not much for them to eat now.

They are omnivores. They’ll also eat insects, bees, much anything they can get, I’ve known them eat mice killed in traps.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, May-29-19, 10:34

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieScot
They are omnivores. They’ll also eat insects, bees, much anything they can get, I’ve known them eat mice killed in traps.

After I posted I realized they may have never eaten meat because that was stored in the fridge - not out at room temperature. I haven't met a mouse yet that can open a fridge door!
  #12   ^
Old Wed, May-29-19, 10:54

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRB5111

Now you hit on something. Rats should be used in the studies. Rats are meat eaters if given the opportunity. Could be an interesting study.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-29-19, 12:00

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
Actually we don't all know that about protein. Think carnivore diet for starters. I eat a fairly high protein diet. Donald Layman is a good source for info on protein requirements as is Ted Naiman.

But i absolutely agree that this mouse study tells us nothing of value.

I agree that we don't know if lots of protein is bad at all. I eat high protein as well, with very little veggies here and there and close to no carbs except for small amounts in eggs or some in my coffee cream. I think that as long as you're not eating carbs, the protein is fine.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-29-19, 13:35

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I had a friend who ate too much protein, but it was in the form of those muscle building shakes. 4 or 5 per day. It started damaging his kidneys.

I don't know if this relates to the protein you get eating cheese or meat though. Perhaps someone 'in the know' can chime in here.

Bob
  #15   ^
Old Wed, May-29-19, 15:27

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama
I had a friend who ate too much protein, but it was in the form of those muscle building shakes. 4 or 5 per day. It started damaging his kidneys.

I don't know if this relates to the protein you get eating cheese or meat though. Perhaps someone 'in the know' can chime in here.

Bob

My understanding is that kidney damage is actually caused by high carb diets, but if you go LC after there's already damage to the kidneys, more than minimal protein causes more problems.

If he did not ever eat high carb, then perhaps his protein intake caused the problem to begin with - but then from what I've sometimes read, the protein in those shakes (especially if made from the readily available whey protein powders) are so refined that they're often metabolized almost as if they're carbs. If I'm remembering correctly, there have been cases reported where people have blood glucose spikes from the whey protein powder shakes, even the ones which are very low in carbs. In addition, I think diabetics have also been known to have problems with excess protein causing glucose spikes in general, even from real meat, cheese, and eggs, even though overall carbs have been kept very low.

So I suppose it's not impossible that excessive use of the protein shakes caused kidney damage in an otherwise completely healthy person.