Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1606   ^
Old Fri, Jul-24-20, 06:44

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Practice plan thru September 30:

Alternate Day Fasting - Monday, Wednesday and Friday (ADF M-W-F). Same as Quarter 2 of 2020. Also on eating days trying to keep protein at around 1g/lb body weight. Also I plan on not stepping on a scale until Oct 1st nor tracking carb macro (only protein) This should be fun and relaxing!

Tracking below. First line is days of week, lines below them are hits and misses for the days that week. I'll note if it was 24 or 36hr fast.

X = 24-36hr Fast
O = Eat

MTWTFSS
-----------
XOXOOOO
XOXOXOO
XOXOXOO
XOXO

==== Notes Below ====

ate a lot of protein (272g) and late (21:00) so to claim a 24hr fast i'll have to eat after that time this evening - hoping after a day of work and high output activity that I'm not super hungry when I get home. I guess I'll have to wait and see if I can hit the practice mark today. Have a good weekend all.
Sponsored Links
  #1607   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-20, 05:02

BF:

Alternate Day Fasting - Monday, Wednesday and Friday (ADF M-W-F). Same as Quarter 2 of 2020. Also on eating days trying to keep protein at around 1g/lb body weight. Also I plan on not stepping on a scale until Oct 1st nor tracking carb macro (only protein) This should be fun and relaxing!

Tracking below. First line is days of week, lines below them are hits and misses for the days that week. I'll note if it was 24 or 36hr fast.

X = 24-36hr Fast
O = Eat

MTWTFSS
-----------
XOXOOOO
XOXOXOO
XOXOXOO
XOXOX

==== Notes Below ====

Got back after 21:00 and ate - 24hr fast claimed darn it too hungry for 36. Eating this weekend.
  #1608   ^
Old Sat, Jul-25-20, 05:54

Plan: <20g when motivated
Stats: 229/219/145 Female 175 cm
BF:40%/40.6%/less
Progress: 12%

11 July: 3.7 g carbs. several hours yt.

Plan: <20g carbs per day, and stop watching youtube (dammit!)

Days 11 to 20:

D11: 22 July: 03.6 g carbs. 5 min yt. (for instructional purposes)
D12: 23 July: 09.7 g carbs. No yt.
D13: 24 July: 17.4 g carbs. No yt.

Days 01 to 10: Min carbs: 05.2g. Max carbs: 16.6g. Max hours youtube: 0

Number of days without youtube: 12
Number of days <20g carbs: 13

90 days ends on October 10th
  #1609   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 08:50

BF:

X = 24-36hr Fast
O = Eat

MTWTFSS
-----------
XOXOOOO
XOXOXOO
XOXOXOO
XOXOXO

==== Notes Below ====

long day on the water, ate withing reason last evening. Same again today
  #1610   ^
Old Sun, Jul-26-20, 22:33

Days 11 to 20:

D14: 25 July: 06.7 g carbs. No yt.
D15: 26 July: 10.8 g carbs. 2hr yt. (Watched a podcast in the evening).

Number of days without youtube: 13
Number of days <20g carbs: 15

#1611   ^
Old Mon, Jul-27-20, 12:59
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Day 85 of my "It's time to lose some weight" Challenge

I was good on the carbs and 'problem' food. I didn't log all food but I'm sure it was in excess of 3000 calories. Right now I'm having to do a little planning for how to do this 5000 calorie metabolism reboot challenge. The macros are going to be in the neighborhood of 3% carbs, 12% protein and 85% fat (or more). I have not been eating lunch on work days - taking an hour walk instead. I will need to have lunch - so the trick is what can I make with those macros that I can consume quickly or at least as I walk. I love the noontime walking.

Days at or under 20 carbs: 69
Days with good portion control: 69
Days avoiding my "Problem" LC foods: 71

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Jul-28-20 at 09:08.
  #1612   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-20, 00:34

Hi Khrussva, I'll be interested in how your 21 day trial goes. Please do count calories eaten, and if possible with a fitbit or similar device, the calories burnt (some people do not gain fat on a hypercaloric low-carb diet, no matter what they do... and it is pretty cool to watch.). Is part of the programme about packing on muscle? If so, yes that could definitely raise your daily metabolic needs. The last few pounds are known to be very difficult to get rid of. I wouldn't know, because I've never been able to do it, or even get close to it. You've come so far already, I'm sure some body building won't phase you. Good luck!!!

Days 11 to 20:

D16: 27 July: 06.0 g carbs. 30 min yt. Insomnia last night; Yikes I'm slipping!!

Number of days <20g carbs: 16

#1613   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-20, 08:28

BF:

X = 24-36hr Fast
O = Eat

MTWTFSS
-----------
XOXOOOO
XOXOXOO
XOXOXOO
XOXOXOO
O

==== Notes Below ====

Didn't find time to post yesterday and also didn't fast - was low carb eating herring and sardines during break at the beach. Eat today try fast tomorrow per practice schedule.

Ken, interesting on the metabolism reset investigation. Do you have reference link you can post when you get a chance?
  #1614   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-20, 09:21
Say NO to Diabetes!

Oops! I edited my last post above when I meant to copy it. So the original text about me considering the 5000 calorie 21 day challenge to reset my metabolism was wiped out. I am going to do it.

Thud -
much of what I learned about this came from a rather heated back and forth between Coach Jack and a CICO challenger on the LMHR FB group. You know how those fisticuffs go, laws of physics and all that. But buried in that thread Jack posted a link to a blog post he did to log the details and results from his own experience with his challenge. He has 2 meal plans listed. Here is that link...

Coach Jack’s 5,000 calorie challenge

I can't say if Jack's claims about this protocol work for some, none or all who try it. I've read many of Jacks posts over the past year or two. He seems to know what he is talking about and he is an IRL keto coach. I'll give this a shot. If it don't work the next challenge may have to be weekly EFs to undo the gains.

Less_Tara - When I actually get into the 21 days of the challenge (likely next week), I will be logging food here on the forum in My Plan. It's not the greatest, but it good enough to give me a decent picture of my macros and counts. It is public info. Here is the link...

Ken's MY PLAN page

You use the calendar to pick the date. Click on VIEW MEALS in the lower, right pane to get a picture of how I am eating.

Last edited by khrussva : Tue, Jul-28-20 at 12:12.
  #1615   ^
Old Tue, Jul-28-20, 10:20

BF:

Thanks for the feedback Ken. I can't see how this would hurt one even if a few pounds are gained during the process - a great experiemnt. If something like this works I would be kind of nice to know that a "Metabolic Tune-up" that included extra eating (which i love to do) is an option. My feeding and fasting days in Q1 and eating days this Q2 are basically unrestricted VLC - This quarter getting a 36hr fast in has been a challenge.

Super interested to follow your experiment and thanks again for the info.
  #1616   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-20, 00:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
Less_Tara - When I actually get into the 21 days of the challenge (likely next week), I will be logging food here on the forum in My Plan. It's not the greatest, but it good enough to give me a decent picture of my macros and counts. It is public info. Here is the link...

Ken's MY PLAN page

You use the calendar to pick the date. Click on VIEW MEALS in the lower, right pane to get a picture of how I am eating.

Thanks for the link Khrussva,

It looks like you are maintaining your weight at 2100-2200 kcal per day on average, with 20-30g carbs. That does look like a slow metabolism for a man..... so now I'm doubly interested in how your metabolism-raising experiment is going to change things for you. Definitely share as many details as you can as you go through this!!!

Days 11 to 20:

D16: 27 July: 06.0 g carbs. 30 min yt. Insomnia last night; Yikes I'm slipping!!
D17: 28 July: 03.2 g carbs. 30 min yt. I was learning about water purification for my cistern.

Number of days <20g carbs: 17

#1617   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-20, 08:42
Say NO to Diabetes!

Day 86 of my "It's time to lose some weight" Challenge

I was good on the carbs and 'problem' food again. I did log all food but and got close to 4000 calories. Macros were off from the c3/p12/f85 that I am shooting for. It's going to take some thought and plenty of adjustment to my usual LCHF diet to get the fats to 85% of calories. Coach Jack did provide two meal plans, but reading his comments during the experiment, even he could not stick to those meal plans without feeling ill. Gulping down olive oil is a little over the top. It would be better if I could get the fats up with finding fattier food.

So far so good with the scale. The calories were way up the past 2 days and the weight has been 218 all week.

Days at or under 20 carbs: 70
Days with good portion control: 69
Days avoiding my "Problem" LC foods: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less_Tara
It looks like you are maintaining your weight at 2100-2200 kcal per day on average, with 20-30g carbs. That does look like a slow metabolism for a man..... so now I'm doubly interested in how your metabolism-raising experiment is going to change things for you. Definitely share as many details as you can as you go through this!!!

According to the various calculators the basal metabolism for my gender, age, height & weight should be around 2000 calories per day. I am quite active though. Flipping though my recent fitness tracker history I'm reaching active calories of at least 800 most everyday. So either I was way off on my food logging the past few months or there is something up (or more accurately - DOWN) with my metabolism. Eating 2200 calories and theoretically burning 3000+ calories daily should have resulted in some weight loss. I'm not sure how or why stalls happen, but I appear to be in one.

So yes - let's hope that I am on to something with this challenge. I've never done anything like this before. Can eating loads of fat raise my metabolism? Maybe this is the reason that Dr. Atkins came up with his 'fat fast'... to break a stall. I do want to lose some weight. I hope a metabolism reset can happen. I will keep you all informed about how things are going. I have a few more days to ease into it and figure out a way to get my carbs & protein low enough to hit 85% calories from fat without drinking OO by the gallon.
  #1618   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-20, 08:43

BF:

X = 24-36hr Fast
O = Eat

MTWTFSS
-----------
XOXOOOO
XOXOXOO
XOXOXOO
XOXOXOO
OO

==== Notes Below ====

Ate high volume of food yesterday. Fast today planned.
  #1619   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-20, 14:14

Plan: Low Carb
Stats: 247/242/200 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I did well yesterday, that will be DAY ONE

I had ONE potato chip and ONE tater tot. Close enough.

Weight is 245 (barely! 245.9)

Went swimming today and stayed in the longest I have so far. Felt so GOOD, I can move so FREELY in the pool.

My brother went down for a run through of his upcoming surgery, that will be on Friday.

I've been able to drive now a few times, hoping I can again either later today or else tomorrow.

Week of July 29th
T GOOD
W
TH
F
S
SUN

I've received some benefits already from the days when I stuck ON plan.

Goals that have been met:
Go swimming
Drive
Break the 250 barrier

Goals I have not met as of yet:
a 20 pound loss:
That is, weigh 243. Well THAT IS not very far away at all!LOL
Fit into the upper arms of my purple blouse.

I had set a goal to reach 220 by the first of next year, I don't know how realistic that is, but perhaps it is possible.
  #1620   ^
Old Wed, Jul-29-20, 14:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by dk_Swan
I had ONE potato chip and ONE tater tot. Close enough.

Awesome. Keep it up Emy, you are on the right track.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
I have a few more days to ease into it and figure out a way to get my carbs & protein low enough to hit 85% calories from fat without drinking OO by the gallon.

Eggs. Mayo. Cheese. Avocado. Slow cooked brisket... the fatty parts (oh my god to die for). Bacon. Cheese. Cream. Butter. Tinned smoked cod fish liver (its good. I eat it with a spoon and some lemon juice, and 1 tin has like a year's supply of omega whatever and vitamin D). Duck breast (ducks make a mattress of fat on their breasts). Coconut oil. Those little cubes of goat cheese that are marinated in oil and herbs. Various small fishies (like anchovies) marinated and preserved in oil. Mussels tinned in spiced oil.

Last edited by less_tara : Wed, Jul-29-20 at 15:06.