Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Apr-11-19, 12:55

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Because no one knows how to cook, nor has the time!!

Best friend invited me to lunch at her house--and opened a can of soup.

Have you ever read Apocalypse Chow? It's a vegetarian, prepping for disaster cookbook - didn't realize the vegetarian part until I'd read it all the way thru, but that worked because the kids had vegetarian friends. It was nice to have tasty foods that everyone could eat. And they are tasty! Just not low carb.

Anyway, in the section on psychological tools & napkin folding, they relate the story of being invited to dinner & to "come hungry!" The table was set regally with chargers, multiple glasses & lots of silverware. And fancy, folded napkins.

The first course was olives and saltines. Second was a salad. Third was tomato soup that tasted like dishwater. (I once had some clam chowder that tasted the same.) Dessert was fruit & coffee. They ate a proper meal when they got home.

I've always wondered - did the couple who invited them to dinner read the book & recognize themselves?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 09:08

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

OMG !!! I would rather walk outside and get an extra rooster!!

Along the way I have become more of a prepper, not hard core, but put up canned meats and beans, spagetti sauce etc. My mom canned a lot with 6 kids to feed, and it was GOOD food. Her freezers were filled with food: cranberries, blueberries, etc. Foods we picked wild; or we grew.

Mom didnt open a commercially prepared can of soup. Only if ingredient in a recipe.

Reminds me, gotta find ramps!! Have a spot they are likely to love and once planted will grow wild.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 12:11

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
The first course was olives and saltines. Second was a salad. Third was tomato soup that tasted like dishwater. (I once had some clam chowder that tasted the same.) Dessert was fruit & coffee. They ate a proper meal when they got home.
This reminds me of my Mom. She would think this was a perfectly fine meal (maybe her actual content would be a little more upscale, but I've had that meal at her house).

She is obsessed with her weight, with other people's weight, and fat-shames people all the time. She eats tiny portions of things that she things are normal and adequate. We are constantly having to re-adjust what is served and add more at family gatherings. I often eat more when I come home. She'll serve salads that have a scattering of protein (like an ounce of shredded cheese or maybe an ounce or two of skinless chicken breast), sandwiches might have one slice of deli meat and one slice of cheese, or if she serves meat, she thinks that a serving of about 2-1/2 to 3 ounces is "plenty" (she claims they're more like 4 ounces, too). When all my nephews were teenagers, she'd be shocked and when we would double or triple that amount of meat for a family dinner. She never could believe that it would all get eaten and later would make snarky comments about how it was "gross."

Yeah, I was often hungry as a kid. Not because we couldn't afford to put food on the table (we struggled at times, but not that much), but because she wouldn't put enough food on the table and then wouldn't let us have snacks when we were starving, so we would sneak it. A lifetime of bad food habits were built right there.

Last edited by CityGirl8 : Fri, Apr-12-19 at 13:01.
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 12:21

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

CG- my heart breaks for you and your siblings and your mom. What has our government program done to people???? It is far reaching. I hope you hang around here long enough to build new habits!! IT can be done!!! Takes repetition and more repetition until the "new" feels "normal".

I struggled with a full plate and a full glass. The opposite of your situation. Took me years of making myself pour just half a glass to become ok/ normal. ANd a full plate was harder--- had to use a smaller plate for a long time until one day a plate with lots of it showing was ok/normal.

We have been brought up with screwy thinking. Hang in there. You've got this, one meal at a time. Hope you are finding the information you need to feel happy and comfortable.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 13:08

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

Oh, I've been mainly eating lower carb with adequate protein for more than 15 years (thanks to the Drs. Eades and Protein Power). Sure, I've had stretches where I've been completely off plan and other than an initial weight loss, I've never really been very low carb long enough to lose and sustain any significant weight loss. But I'm not afraid of eating adequate amounts of protein--even in front of my Mom. Neither are the rest of my siblings. These days we just roll our eyes and keep on doing what we were already doing. If she invites me for dinner, I figure I'm there to socialize and finish my meal when I get home.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Apr-12-19, 14:02

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

City Girl - Your mother sounds like the mother of a friend of mine - she & her sister both ended up anorexic. My family was just the opposite - there was too much food. Most of it cheap crap, but plenty of it. My favorite was mom's mac & cheese - macaroni with lots & lots of cheddar cheese melted into it. Pure carb & fat heaven.