Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-19, 07:35

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Jumping in-- along the way we have lost our old ways of celebrating and that often included fasting before a feast. Some culture do still follow this and I do wonder if their health is better than those that don't fast; meaning a good study would be valuable. Anyway my point is, that most cultures around the world had a period of fasting but as religion has gone the way of the dodo, and starvation, at least in the US, is a rare thing, perhaps bringing back "fasting" has a place again if not for religious reasons , then for real health benefits.

Quote:
Eating, for human beings, is so much more than nutrition. Eating is personal pleasure, social interaction, ceremonial, celebratory....everyday life. It's hard enough working around low-carb requirements in social, work environment, and family settings. I suspect that intermittent fasting (IF) can become a hack: an extreme way of making up for the difficulties of sustaining a lifestyle that is already out of the mainstream.

As I understand the cultural fasting it was a social event, fasting followed by a celebration with feasting.

Personally, I have started to understand the benefits of buying high quality food with a meager food budget, and use fasting as the health benefit that it is to stretch the food dollars. ( Such a different concept than the 3 squares a day I was brought up with.)
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 06:33

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/160/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Somewhere on this Forum there must be a thread about doing LC on a very tight budget. If not, an experienced forum member might start one.

Suggestions like buying frozen fresh veggies on sale, soup recipes that stretch every ingredient, and finding deals on cheese (for example) could be really helpful.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 08:29

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Somewhere on this Forum there must be a thread about doing LC on a very tight budget. If not, an experienced forum member might start one.

Suggestions like buying frozen fresh veggies on sale, soup recipes that stretch every ingredient, and finding deals on cheese (for example) could be really helpful.

On a different (now defunct) LC forum, there was a thread about doing LC on a very tight budget - seems the poster only had $20 to spend on groceries for herself that week. It was a thread started several years ago (probably around 8-10 years ago), so the prices were considerably lower than they are now, but it was doable, and not even involving IF, just buying very judiciously.

The best way to stretch such a tight budget of course meant buying conventionally produced LC foods (no organics, unless they were less expensive than the conventionally grown that week) which are traditionally very economical, such as whole, bone-in chicken thighs (less expensive than breasts, more meat than chicken legs, bones that could be simmered for bone broth, lots of fat would cook off to save for for scrambling eggs or seasoning veggies, and the skin could be crisped in the microwave for a crunchy snack), block cheese (less expensive than pre-shredded or sliced), eggs, maybe a bargain package of ground beef, or frozen tilapia on sale, and sticking to whatever LC fresh, frozen, or canned veggies were on the best sale that week. You could stretch that $20 a little further if you bought all store brands. You could do even better if you were able to spend a little more one week to get a lower price/lb, with enough of that item for more than 1 week, in order to save that much on the next week's budget.

Many people posted their "If I only had $20" food budget for the week. Prices were different from one part of the country to another, as well as depending on if you had a serious cut-rate grocer in your area, such as Aldi, or Sav-a-lot, so some could buy more food for the same amount of money than others. It certainly didn't provide a wide variety of food choices, and it certainly didn't allow any luxuries, but it was definitely do-able for someone on a very limited budget.

By the time that LC site was closed about a year ago, the amount it took to buy the same amount of food had risen to about $25-$35, but that's still not a bad amount to stick to LC for a week.

So I can see how it would work very well combined with IF.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 08:35

BF:

Yes, I learned over years how to find food at the best prices ; learned from a friend that is dependent of food pantries and "soup kitchens" . However, the food is not good quality ie mac and cheese with a side of canned green beans. Along the way I decided my health was worth something more, and have made the best use of those introductions, focusing on getting frozen meats and frozen vegies. Many food pantries do not have refrigerators or freezers. Takes a lot of time to be in the right place at the right time, rather than just walk into a grocery to pick out the best options and plunk down a huge chunk of change.

What I have observed over the years is that the " dinner guests" are either very overweight ( the majority) or very very thin. Neither getting the right input of foods.

Im only getting into this in hopes of helping others see the unseen plight of the needy; their food resources are NOT quality food, or enough food..... and contributes to a great number of illnesses.

Sadly, these people are on the bottom of the pecking order, but use a tremendous amount medical aid. One friend is regularly in the hospital due to complication of a 400 pound body. ALL care is free.

Given his circumstances IF would be beneficial at several levels. He has lost 40 in a year. He thinks that is great. I continue to pick moments to talk food with him..... he doesnt have diabetes, so he is fine is his motto. He and his wife are very round, and his children continue to gain extra pounds.....

IF would be a practical answer.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 08:49

BF:

Calianna-- thanks for sharing about that thread. Food prices do vary place to place, sometimes tremendously. Here there are a number of groceries. THe most local has the highest prices but at the other end of the strip mall is a discount store that carries most or all the Bob's Red mill line up, walnuts and almonds that go on sale, and best prices around for CO, EVOO, and other oils. Nothing refrigerated. In another town the prices are so good the difference in gas money is worth the drive. I have a standing order for beef fat every Monday and take the opportunity to look for discounted meats and specials.

Was the $20/ week for an individual or a family?

As for IF and my teens, if they are not hungry like in the morning before school, I do not press them to eat. IF in its most natural evolution. Both my teens can skip meals and I dont freak out-- that liver holds a lot of stored energy. ( Skipping one meal is not IF; rather when IF is understood, skipping meals becomes ok.)
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Mar-12-19, 20:28
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Thanks for that ref Rob, watching it soon.

PJ
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 05:53

BF:

All righty, Ms Arielle and Calianna. If you don't mind, please take the time to start a NEW THREAD in General Low carb called LC on a Budget, and copy these posts into it. I think you'll start something good for a lot of people. Thank you!
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-19, 07:28

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

Given the branch of expressing appreciation for solitude some of us took on this thread, I found the following article related to introverts/extroverts:
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...s-without-guilt
  #39   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 05:55

BF:

Interesting read, Rob. However, I hope we won't confuse a preference for solitude with a (seeming) fear of social interaction expressed by this writer. She's lucky to have a friend who keeps reaching out in spite of the knowledge that "you won't come." Don't want to get too deep in the weeds with this. I just wish she had presented a more balanced view of how she actually does receive and enjoy human connections.

Meanwhile, I discovered a video talk on Diet Doctor by Dr. Westman about LC on a budget. However, it may be behind the Member curtain. Check it out if you wish.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 08:19

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
I protested, feebly. But when I thought about it, I knew it was true: I absolutely hate talking to people I don’t know. I would rather stumble around lost for hours than ask for directions. If I see a co-worker in the office kitchen, I turn and wait for them to leave rather than stay and chat. I swerve after-work drinks as a rule, and networking events feel like a complicated sort of torture. The majority of social interactions are routinely painful, and the only ones that are not involve a set of long-standing friends who I keep about me like the petulant child-queen of a medieval court.

Yeah, except for the petulant child queen bit, (I'm no child) this sounds like me. I was three hours late at my sister's for Christmas largely because I'm scared to ask a stranger for directions. Grocery shopping, I'll often take longer or even skip items I'd really wanted because too many people were near that area of the store. Finding this stuff draining is one thing when it really interferes with life, that's another.

Quote:
She's lucky to have a friend who keeps reaching out in spite of the knowledge that "you won't come."

I am somebody who will come--but really do need that intervention, I like interacting with other humans, but it gets difficult for me to initiate things. Occasionally I will be too scared to go, but the invitation makes it way more likely that I'll not be an unhappy hermit. No problem with happy hermits, I enjoy some alone time, but I have all I need, really.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 08:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Personally, I have started to understand the benefits of buying high quality food with a meager food budget, and use fasting as the health benefit that it is to stretch the food dollars. ( Such a different concept than the 3 squares a day I was brought up with.)

Myself, as well. I am eating better cuts of meat which I pay for by not buying all kinds of other things.
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 08:35

BF:

Quote:
Interesting read, Rob. However, I hope we won't confuse a preference for solitude with a (seeming) fear of social interaction expressed by this writer. She's lucky to have a friend who keeps reaching out in spite of the knowledge that "you won't come." Don't want to get too deep in the weeds with this. I just wish she had presented a more balanced view of how she actually does receive and enjoy human connections.

I won't flog this to death, but it did come up in the context of this thread. People find various ways to manage fears of social interactions, as we all fall somewhere on the introvert/extrovert continuum. Using a "lubricant" in social situations to feel comfortable and survive the experience is is a clear indication that the situation must be better understood in order to positively manage fears, and we all have fears to greater or lesser degrees. Some of us love social situations and cherish times of solitude. The seemingly prevalent message that people must interact with others to lead a fulfilling life just doesn't wash with many people. The writer is simply an example of one who has discovered that she's an introvert and has taken steps to manage that discovery.

Good book on the topic: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain.

And, I'll leave this topic alone for now.
  #43   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 08:57

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I guess I am about to continue beating this topic to death but what I want to add is that I think people who get energized through social interaction have a hard time understanding that some of us find it mostly enervating. I enjoy my brief interactions with neighbors and other who I run into on my walks. Large social event with lots of obligatory chit chat I dislike intensely.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 09:13

BF:

#45   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-19, 10:04

Plan: Atkins-ish (hypoglycemia)
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Calianna-- thanks for sharing about that thread. Food prices do vary place to place, sometimes tremendously. Here there are a number of groceries. THe most local has the highest prices but at the other end of the strip mall is a discount store that carries most or all the Bob's Red mill line up, walnuts and almonds that go on sale, and best prices around for CO, EVOO, and other oils. Nothing refrigerated. In another town the prices are so good the difference in gas money is worth the drive. I have a standing order for beef fat every Monday and take the opportunity to look for discounted meats and specials.

Was the $20/ week for an individual or a family?

As for IF and my teens, if they are not hungry like in the morning before school, I do not press them to eat. IF in its most natural evolution. Both my teens can skip meals and I dont freak out-- that liver holds a lot of stored energy. ( Skipping one meal is not IF; rather when IF is understood, skipping meals becomes ok.)

No one ever really defined whether or not it was intended as the amount for a family or individual, although I think the person who originally started the thread was single.

Unless you had a very low BMR, it would definitely be difficult to put together a workable LC diet which wasn't inherently too low in cals and/or protein, if you had to limit it to $20 these days, even for just one person, although $25 or $30 should be enough to squeak by, depending on where you lived and what shopping choices you had.
Quote:
All righty, Ms Arielle and Calianna. If you don't mind, please take the time to start a NEW THREAD in General Low carb called LC on a Budget, and copy these posts into it. I think you'll start something good for a lot of people. Thank you!

You're welcome! I think so many people starting out LC think that they NEED to eat steak and bacon - I remember someone years ago telling me that they'd tried LC and it was working, but they just couldn't afford to eat steak all the time.

Going off to see if Arielle started a thread yet...