Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-19, 20:45

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Whee!

When I get to nuts on my testing plan, they are the first ones.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-19, 21:52

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Wow look at this...
List of meats highest in Omega 6
Chicken is at the top (highest) and Beef liver is at the bottom (lowest)
https://tools.myfooddata.com/nutrie...mon&list=Simple
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-19, 22:08
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

I just bought pine nuts today, they're so so, so I won't buy anymore.

Pork rinds are deep fried in those "and/or" commodity vegetable oils -- I can tell by the taste if the oil has been changed often enough, else they're dog treats

Chicken skin is for dogs. They need Omega-6 more than we do.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-19, 22:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
I just bought pine nuts today, they're so so, so I won't buy anymore.

Pork rinds are deep fried in those "and/or" commodity vegetable oils -- I can tell by the taste if the oil has been changed often enough, else they're dog treats

Chicken skin is for dogs. They need Omega-6 more than we do.

So mike, with chicken, you think the skin has more of the Omega 6, more so than the meat? Or do you just give it to your dog because it's less 6 as a whole?

Last edited by Meme#1 : Thu, Feb-21-19 at 22:49.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-19, 22:48

BF:

Quote:
Quote:
Two of the most-notable ingredients of the "Western diet" are refined carbohydrates and LA. Others have shown that the obvious ill effects do not occur if LA is not included, or, if it is included, if the mitochondria are given a chance to rest, through use of a feeding window (food is not provided for 16 hours a day).

I think this post establishes that there is a clear cause-and-effect relationship between dietary consumption of excess linoleic acid and at least some aspects of the metabolic syndrome. The excess qualifier is important since linoleic acid in small quantities is found in most natural foods.

The only way to get excess amounts in the diet are: eat oils made from seeds, eat animals that are fed on excessive amounts of grain that concentrate LA, or eat far too much grain yourself. And don't make nuts, avocados, or olive oil a staple part of your diet.

Oh no, so it is true that Avocados really are highest in Omega 6 than any other fruit?
https://tools.myfooddata.com/nutrie...imple&spices=No

So then don't use Avocado oil to make mayo because you're just swapping one Omega 6 for another, right?
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Feb-21-19, 23:41

BF:

I just ate some
canned kippered Herring, it's in the 36mg for Omega 6
Canned sardines are the worst of all fish with 5279mg (maybe because of the bad oil)
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-19, 04:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I just ate some
canned kippered Herring, it's in the 36mg for Omega 6
Canned sardines are the worst of all fish with 5279mg (maybe because of the bad oil)

Yes, I get the kind in spring water for that reason. Here's Mark Sisson again, on avocadoes:

Quote:
The avocado is rather rich in linoleic acid (though most of the fat is monounsaturated), leading some among us to avoid or severely limit its consumption. But research in actual avocado-eating humans paints a different story. An avocado eaten with your meal lowers the postprandial inflammatory response, triglyceride increase, and endothelial dysfunction normally associated with meals. Avocados also lower the number of LDL particles in your blood, a significant (and probably real/causative) risk factor for heart disease. I mean, c’mon. No guacamole? No diced avocado in your salad? That’s not living.

Linoleic acid in the form of refined vegetable oils is still to be avoided. But I’m just not convinced whole food sources of linoleic acid have the same effect on us. We call out other researchers when they demonize a food we like because of a single component, for good reason. We should be careful not to practice nutritional reductionism to justify demonizing a nutrient we don’t like.

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/why...tter-after-all/

My bold, since that is his point about refined vegetable oils vs the naturally occurring amounts in foods which do not increase the inflammatory response: what seed oils are known for, after all.

We also might have hit on why too many nuts are known to be stallers, we've certainly ruined most pork rinds, and I feel much better about my guacamole habit

Myself, I get a definite poor response from seed oils, and have compelling reasons to avoid them because I know they increase my inflammatory response, which is on a hair trigger lately.

But a handful of nuts vs a whole meal fried in old vegetable oil?

Quote:
Americans get almost 70% of their PUFA (mostly omega-6) from oils, shortening, and margarine and just 6% from beans, seeds, and nuts, 1% from eggs, and 13% from meat, poultry, and fish as of 2004 (PDF). So when we talk about omega-6 intake, we’re really talking about french fries (cooked in vegetable oil), packaged pastries (made with shortening), and processed, high-sugar, high-(vegetable)fat junk food intake.

If most of our omega-6 is coming from the linoleic acid found in cooking oils and processed baked goods, most of the omega-6 we’re eating is highly oxidized, rancid, and maybe even worse.

In one study, just 20 frying sessions were enough to drastically alter sunflower oil, oxidizing the fats and creating cyclic fatty acid monomers which – when eaten – affect fatty acid oxidation, carbohydrate metabolism, and liver enzymes. Dietary linoleic acid that has been oxidized via heat has been shown to directly lead to atherosclerosis. To determine how often most restaurants actually change their frying oil our for new oil, I looked at a topic called “How often do you clean your deep fryer?” in a popular online forum for diner owners. Responses varied from “every day” to “weekly,” with some topping off their oil as they went or relying mostly on filtration of solids. Either way, it’s not very reassuring.

The susceptibility to oxidation may be why diets high in linoleic acid have also been linked to increased oxidized LDL, while diets high in monounsaturated fat – like the traditional Greek diet, rich in extra virgin olive oil – produce considerably lower levels of oxidized LDL.

Omega-6 fat is thus “bad” because the most abundant source of it in our diet is heated vegetable oil, because it’s so susceptible to oxidation, because excessive heating can even create trans-fats out of it, because it’s a proxy for processed junk food, and because it contributes to oxidized lipids in our blood.

That makes sense to me. Nut eaters can rejoice!
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-19, 04:24

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

i eat nuts every morning with my kefir - all organic raw. almost always the first meal of the day, first food to break a fast. my n=1 has not complained yet.

#24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-19, 04:42

BF:

I think this is also a story about whole foods vs processed. Like multivitamins: I know lots of people who are very impressed with them, and I am far less so.

I consider that we:
  • Only put in what we know is missing.
  • The RDAs were set to prevent deficiency diseases, not optimal performance.
  • They are from an artificial source, which can mean incompatibilty for what they are supposed to do.
  • These ingredients can be of vary ages, and affected by the processing... and each other.

So my view of "health" is very different from the coworker who eats junk, but takes their multivitamin every day
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-19, 06:29
Registered Member

Plan: any and all
Stats: 115/120/115 Female 64inches
BF:
Progress:

This is exactly why my husband does not want to eat out. The omega 6s. We use mayo made from avocado oil. Its quite pricey but he takes no chances after having four stents. His blood sugar is fine. Mine is the one I have to keep an eye on.

Eating out is a rare treat unless we are traveling. Maybe once a month if even that.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-19, 08:45

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I am always confused as to what Omega 3 and 6 foods are.

edit, just thinking that pork rinds must be fried in corn oil or soybean to have Omega 6, don't you think?

You're not alone in that - I can never remember which is the good guy & which is the bad. I've seen so many good reports about pork rinds & finally found a brand both husband & I like. But now I've got to stop buying them? Pity - I like the crunch.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-19, 09:50
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

I actually owned & operated a short-lived pizza restaurant about 8 years ago. I still have the FB page up... Gold Coast Pizza. I worked at and ended up managing a pizza restaurant on the West Coast in my youth. Over course of my life I became quite a good baker, too -- breads of all kinds. As a career change out of computer field I decided to try my hand at running my own restaurant. The "Great Recession" was bad timing and it didn't last long. I had great reviews, but an insufficient volume of business. That miserable failure was the precursor to me figuring out what to do about my health and my weight, so it wasn't all bad.

Anyway, in looking for sites to start my pizza place most were formerly restaurants that had closed. I also bought a lot of used stainless steel tables and equipment. I could always tell if the former restaurant site had done deep fat frying. I could tell with the used equipment, too. Everything gets coated with a yellow, glue like gunk that is so incredibly difficult to remove. Even the underside of tables were coated in it. I bought a bunch of used steel chairs for the dining room and even those were coated with this tacky gunk. It took us weeks to get everything cleaned up. The location I chose already had an exhaust hood for my ovens, but they had also been exposed to deep fat frying residue. Cleaning that up before I opened was one of the dirtiest jobs that I've ever done.

I chose not to serve fried foods. We served an aged sourdough oven baked pizza and had an awesome salad bar.

I rarely eat out these days -- once a month at most. When I do I have grilled meat and steamed or grilled veggies. Whatever that is that comes out of a restaurant deep fryer cannot be good. I can't imagine that the food cooked in it is any better.

Last edited by khrussva : Fri, Feb-22-19 at 10:07.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-19, 11:37

Plan: Protein Power, IF
Stats: 238/204/145 Female 5'8"
BF:53.75%/46.6%/25%
Progress: 37%

I recently came across an article on that said that over-consumption of Omega-6s was a significant contributor to macular degeneration. Since this runs in my family, I was concerned and did a bit more research to find out where "too many" Omega-6s are coming from in our diets. I found this article: How to Optimize Your Omega-6 to Omega-3 Ratio.

First, it identifies what a healthy ratio target probably is:
Quote:
Hunter-gatherers who ate mostly land animals consumed these fats at ratios of 2:1 to 4:1, while the Inuit, who ate mostly omega-3 rich seafood, had a ratio of 1:4. Other pre-industrial populations were somewhere in between.

...while the ratio today is about 16:1.
It's not all bad to eat Omega-6s; it's just that it's important to balance them with Omega-3s. The modern problem is that we eat way more 6s, mainly from processed vegetable oil and way too few 3s. The general population gets a lot of 6s from processed vegetable oil, including fried food in restaurants. If you don't eat these things (e.g., you're using butter, olive oil, and coconut oil instead of margarine and corn oil and, like most low-carbers, rarely eat fried food in restaurants) you're probably most of the way towards getting your ratio to a good place. If you add cold-water fish (salmon, mackeral, sardines, white tuna canned in water) to your diet a couple times a week, you're probably fine. Grass-fed beef and eggs from pastured chickens are also good sources.

Mid-way down in the article is a handy chart on vegetable oils; the chart doesn't include avocado oil, but it's roughly similar to olive oil.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-19, 11:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

You can get the pork rinds under 1 percent of calories from omega 6 if you just add enough butter.

The one series of studies mentioned in a link that WereBear posted looks at 1 percent linoleic acid versus 8 percent. A few things. They've narrowed that down to endocannabinoid production, block that and the effect on weight gain is prevented. There's a drug that made it to human trials for blocking endocannabinoids, it's effective, but causes depression and anxiety in some people. A problem here is, just how low an endocannabinoid production is actually normal? Are the 1 percent linoleic acid diet mice particularly happy? Poor appetite is a classic symptom of depression.

Also in the mouse studies--as little as 1 percent omega 3 fish oil protected from fattening effects of omega 6 fatty acids.

I've sort of disappointed that there are these studies looking at 1 percent versus 8 percent, but then nobody's gone looking at 2, 3, 4 etc. percent and tried to narrow things down, see if there's a threshold. One percent is a pretty tight target. Another thing, the mice are fed a purified diet, no preformed arachidonic acid, that needs to be produced from the linoleic acid for endocannabinoid formation. That's one reason the omega 3 fatty acid works, desaturase enzymes for producing arachidonic acid are also needed for producing epa and dha, the end products cause down regulation of these enzymes. It's doubtful that on a carnivorous diet, even one devoid of linoleic acid, you could expect to keep endocannabinoid levels low enough to replicate the mouse studies effects on body fat/appetite, since it would contain adequate levels of arachidonic acid to prevent this.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-22-19, 15:16

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
You're not alone in that - I can never remember which is the good guy & which is the bad. I've seen so many good reports about pork rinds & finally found a brand both husband & I like. But now I've got to stop buying them? Pity - I like the crunch.

I'm not saying pork rinds are a health food, but if they really have only half a gram of omega 6 fat per serving, that doesn't really sound like very much. The brand I'm familiar with (inexpensive Walmart offering) doesn't list anything but the pork stuff and salt, so I'm guessing it's fried in its own rendered fat. Pork, at least conventional corn-fed, does tend to be a bit on the higher side in omega 6 at least compared to beef.