Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 13:24

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Yeah, food and feelings... I don't think they get that from nowhere, but I do think there's more nuance to be considered than "eating your feelings."

I have a sort of bum shoulder... can't really tell any more, since I went to a higher fat ratio keto, sort of forget which shoulder. Used to sort of more come and go. I'm also bipolar--and when I'm more depressive, I'm generally more achey, including that shoulder, where with mania or hypomania, all the little aches and pains are sort of obliterated. There are studies looking at pain thresholds and depression. Water that's a little too cold or a little too hot, depressive people will feel the discomfort and have to take their hand out sooner than non-depressives.

So, there's lots of bias also I think, towards neurotic, depressive types who complain of various aches and pains. It's all in your head... well yeah, that is where a lot of real, actual pain resides. You could say depression increases pain. But reading about some of the neurology--there's overlap in emotional and physical pain, some of the same pathways are active. So does depression increase pain, or are emotional and physical pain just sharing pathways, so increasing in synch when some brain/nervous system pathways are more active?

So, certain things make it harder to tolerate pain. Depression. Lack of sleep. Pain, discomfort. Another discomfort is hunger. I find lack of sleep and being sort of down make it harder to make good food choices. Now, does my shoulder hurt because I'm in a funk? Sure, but also because I fell on a piece of heavy metal machinery a decade or so ago. Make everything perfect--good mood, good sleep, and I might be better able to undereat, have a higher tolerance, just as I might have a higher pain "tolerance." Wrong word, because the actual feeling is decreased, here. But my shoulder wouldn't hurt, however depressed I was, if there hadn't been that underlying injury. Anyways, the analogy does seem to fit my personal experience.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 14:40

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

When I was a teen with an Eating Disorder, I did Biggest Loser type efforts: riding my bike for miles, starving myself, then bingeing and redoubling all my efforts.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 14:52

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Teaser, I agree a lot with that. Awhile back I started having pelvic pain. It got really bad at the same time as I had a sudden injury to my "funny bone" nerve in my elbow that was pretty serious. I got stressed and depressed because I wasn't getting better. The nerve healed very slow and the mysterious pelvic pain got worse and worse and the inflammation from it made me ravenous and I made horrific food choices. I was soooo sick. Where does that all begin, though? I feel like I was doing the best I could in a crappy situation. I made bad choices but my body was also under siege.
  #34   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 16:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
The nerve healed very slow and the mysterious pelvic pain got worse and worse and the inflammation from it made me ravenous and I made horrific food choices. I was soooo sick. Where does that all begin, though? I feel like I was doing the best I could in a crappy situation. I made bad choices but my body was also under siege.

When I am very sick with my autoimmune issues, it messes up my appetite, my digestive system, my sense of what I can possibly choke down. I understand how difficult it is.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 20:52

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
When I am very sick with my autoimmune issues, it messes up my appetite, my digestive system, my sense of what I can possibly choke down. I understand how difficult it is.

I totally understand . Luckily, my problems were temporary. I think I had chronic diverticulitis. I took one single ingredient out of my diet and I haven't had the problem since although the weight has been slow to come off.

Autoimmune is the worst . I have severe allergies but those are not so bad because I can control exposure. It's awful when you have no control.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-19, 21:48

BF:

Quote:
I totally understand . Luckily, my problems were temporary. I think I had chronic diverticulitis. I took one single ingredient out of my diet and I haven't had the problem since although the weight has been slow to come off.

Autoimmune is the worst . I have severe allergies but those are not so bad because I can control exposure. It's awful when you have no control.

Thanks. I am defying Jillian and started keto today!
  #37   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 04:53

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Martin, thanks for posting Dr Ken Berry's response! 18 minutes but he respectfully goes through her points on the video and even posts studies to back his answers. Calmer than some of his other videos, great response.
Scott the truck driver is...different could not hang with him long.

But if someone brings up Jillian's video...send back a Doctor who has treated thousands of patients and knows the science. https://youtu.be/E5qxVVKvQ9k
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 06:12
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

That's a good ref Janet.

Jillian probably got more attention for dissing keto than she's had in a long time. This may inspire her alas.

She believes what she does. She is probably honestly set on the starve yourself and exercise till you puke approach to sudden, and obviously incredibly temporary (given The Biggest Loser 'success' stories real results later (carefully ignored by most the media)) weight (not necessarily fat) loss.

IMO what that mostly loses is lean body mass, ensuring you're even fatter in the future. I think our nation's dieting strategies and results -- more billions in the market for diet and still people are fat in incredible % -- support that.

PJ
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 09:22

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Yeah, Berry has done a few hilarious videos but that one is much more serious and respectul. He relates his story where he used to advise all that stuff before he figured it out, and now he's all about keto and low-carb in his practice. Scott is something else, isn't he? I like him, he reminds me of myself in a way. I figured they'd be a bit better than what I'd write cuz they both go at length into the details, while I'd focus on what's wrong and sorta rant (I'm lazy these days).
  #40   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 10:14

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
IMO what that mostly loses is lean body mass, ensuring you're even fatter in the future. I think our nation's dieting strategies and results -- more billions in the market for diet and still people are fat in incredible % -- support that.

PJ

I agree, and that is the insidious part. It's like cult programming: if it fails it must be that you aren't doing it right!
  #41   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 10:21

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I agree, and that is the insidious part. It's like cult programming: if it fails it must be that you aren't doing it right!

That goes for a lot of things, not just cults. When I first started LC I didn't get much benefit from it because I wasn't doing it right. The more I learned, the better I did.
  #42   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 10:26

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

I hear that there is a 2 for 1 sale, becomes a member of Jillian Michael's fitness website and get a free membership in the Flat Earth Society.
  #43   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 10:47

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnie OFS
That goes for a lot of things, not just cults. When I first started LC I didn't get much benefit from it because I wasn't doing it right. The more I learned, the better I did.

I agree, that is certainly a factor. But with Jillian's Biggest Loser approach, you can do it right, and it still doesn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I hear that there is a 2 for 1 sale, becomes a member of Jillian Michael's fitness website and get a free membership in the Flat Earth Society.

#44   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 16:02

BF:

Quote:
Thanks. I am defying Jillian and started keto today!

Good luck! What is the difference between keto and the other low carb plans? I know you've been around here awhile (like me!).
  #45   ^
Old Sun, Jan-13-19, 16:55

BF:

Quote:
Good luck! What is the difference between keto and the other low carb plans? I know you've been around here awhile (like me!).

Thanks!

It used to be called VLC for Very Low Carb. Now it’s called Ketogenic, or Keto for short. Here’s a link from Diet Doctor which explains the different approaches:

How low carb is low carb?

Quote:
Ketogenic low carb <20 gram carbs per day. This is a ketogenic diet (if protein intake is moderate). This level is defined as below 4 energy percent carbs in our recipes, where we also keep the protein level low or moderate (excess protein is converted to carbohydrates in the body).1 Previously we often called this “strict low carb”, but as the word “keto” or “ketogenic” became commonly used we switched to only use this term, for simplicity.

It is also known as Atkins Induction, the first stage.

This is a good thing to try for many reasons:
  • if you still battle cravings or find your carbs keep "creeping up"
  • if you have hormone issues, especially insulin resistance, but also leptin or cortisol
  • if you have a health issue that needs inflammation targeted to bring about relief and improvement
  • if you have a lot of weight to lose
  • high satiety factor for people with eating disorders, trouble with moderation, or other challenges with portion size; choose foods with the proper macros and don't worry about that