Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-19, 09:02

Plan: general lc
Stats: 214/146/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 81%

As far as IF goes, I'd say go with your body's signals. When I first started low carb, I wasn't doing it at all. And I don't even think I knew anything about it, but I just began to get less hungry in the mornings. And so breakfast got later and later. Most days I was eating in a 7 hour window, but it happened naturally on its own. Now, I'll sometimes push things trying to eat in a 4 hour window.

One thing I've noticed lately when I'm in ketosis is that I feel great in the mornings before I eat. That helps me extend my fast even though I might start getting hungry. Eventually, the hunger gets more than I like and I eat.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-19, 09:29

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by tess9132
As far as IF goes, I'd say go with your body's signals. When I first started low carb, I wasn't doing it at all. And I don't even think I knew anything about it, but I just began to get less hungry in the mornings. And so breakfast got later and later. Most days I was eating in a 7 hour window, but it happened naturally on its own. Now, I'll sometimes push things trying to eat in a 4 hour window.

One thing I've noticed lately when I'm in ketosis is that I feel great in the mornings before I eat. That helps me extend my fast even though I might start getting hungry. Eventually, the hunger gets more than I like and I eat.

Hi Tess! I just started doing IF on Jan 4th. I don’t know too much about it but downloaded an app and am followers no. I started with 12 hrs., the. Bumped up to 16 hrs but found that was too long for the 3rd day so dropped to 12 or 13. I presently have 5 fasts under my belt. 16hrs fast I was really hungry and felt a little off all day. I have to work up to that. I started IF as I thought it might assist in me losing weight. Today I’m 1.2 lbs from my goal. It has been slow losing. I think I’ve lost about 18/19 lbs. Thank you for your post.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-19, 11:01

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I discovered that my body did better if I moved from a very low carb state into a fast, didn't push it, and made sure to get coconut oil, salt, and my dry gelatin dissolved in tea as a tactic for hunger, which worked well.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-19, 13:40

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

That's pretty much how it was for me, Tess. I will say, I did get super hungry all at once, in the mid afternoon, and if ever I messed up, that's when it would be. I mistakenly thought that meant it was bad to skip breakfast, rather than just seeing it as a pattern to work within.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-19, 05:15

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Ann,
With all this talk about how much fat and protein, the key to LC and then being able to easily handle Time Restricted Eating (that is less than OMAD) is keeping your carbs very low. That's it. Jackie Eberstein, who worked for Dr Atkins and now Heal Clinic, focuses on older women who do have a harder time losing weight, and suggests a strict 20g total. https://www.dietdoctor.com/weight-l...f-women-over-50. Monday, at the support group meeting, she was talking about the fact she for the first time in her life she added some Time Restricted Eating with very positive results. So in this video she states she has no clinical experience with IF, now she is back at HealClinic and tried it herself, she is supportive.

It is unlikely you will become truly Fat-Adapted, and be able to do TRE of 24 hours without hunger unless you are. It is not ketosis, fat adaptation takes a month + http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/0...-a-ketard1.html Why Megan Ramos talks about exercising your fasting muscle...it takes practice extending your fasting time, but you should be solidly fat -adapted first or it will just be miserable.

In addition to keeping total carbs below 20g, you should consider checking your blood sugar after eating certain foods. You may find cooked veggies or artificial sweeteners make your glucose rise...and even though fit in 20g still would cause that hunger you have. Glenda has a good new thread in Media on it.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=9311832

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Jan-10-19 at 06:11.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-19, 08:49

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Ann,
With all this talk about how much fat and protein, the key to LC and then being able to easily handle Time Restricted Eating (that is less than OMAD) is keeping your carbs very low. That's it. Jackie Eberstein, who worked for Dr Atkins and now Heal Clinic, focuses on older women who do have a harder time losing weight, and suggests a strict 20g total. https://www.dietdoctor.com/weight-l...f-women-over-50. Monday, at the support group meeting, she was talking about the fact she for the first time in her life she added some Time Restricted Eating with very positive results. So in this video she states she has no clinical experience with IF, now she is back at HealClinic and tried it herself, she is supportive.

It is unlikely you will become truly Fat-Adapted, and be able to do TRE of 24 hours without hunger unless you are. It is not ketosis, fat adaptation takes a month + http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/0...-a-ketard1.html Why Megan Ramos talks about exercising your fasting muscle...it takes practice extending your fasting time, but you should be solidly fat -adapted first or it will just be miserable.

In addition to keeping total carbs below 20g, you should consider checking your blood sugar after eating certain foods. You may find cooked veggies or artificial sweeteners make your glucose rise...and even though fit in 20g still would cause that hunger you have. Glenda has a good new thread in Media on it.
https://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?p=9311832

Janet, yes I totally agree with you that the first step is getting fat adapted, 20g. carbs.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-19, 10:08
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

IF set me up for compulsive eating, so I don't do that.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-19, 10:15

Plan: HFLC/IF
Stats: 218/176/140 Female 5'4"
BF:27%
Progress: 54%

20 g. has been my goal for a while now, since it became apparent that age has decreased my ability to lose fat and build muscle (through diet).
One thing I am trying to do now, is simply to eat without worrying about how much I weigh. I have not weighed since I put the weight back on but I got just shy of having to buy a size up in my clothes. I definitely had to focus on the roomier things in my closet. I do feel less bloated since I have started trying to taper down to the 20g/day. I haven't weighed though, as seeing a scary number on the scale is demoralizing and overwhelming to me. I've always been this way. Usually, I start weighing again when I am sure I have made some progress. I will try to resist that, this time around.