Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 13:27
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
I wish I could have bacon that way but it just seems like another protein to me now. I buy several lb packages of Jamestown Brand for $3.25 at HEB and freeze them. They clean out of it pretty quick so when I find it, I stock up. It has a few miss-cuts but for the price and quality of flavor, I love it. It's made in North Carolina, the center of the world for bacon making...
It's in a white and orange box, 16 oz but you have to read carefully because sometimes they will sneak in 12 oz packages.
Thanks. Ill have to look for that one, surely beats $8
Now I source mine, when I want it, from the Mexican meat market. I sometimes see ham butt ends there at a good price point, but the best buy, when they have it, is the pork belly trimmings a .99 cents/pound labeled as "Pork Fat." Some of it is just like un-cured bacon
That goes in my freezer to make my 'pork fat French fries' good with LC ketchup
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 13:48

Plan: Atkins/KETO/IF
Stats: 370/163/155 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 96%

Thanks, Meme & Mike, for bacon and pork belly recommendations!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 13:51

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

HEB also has some amazing deals on pork. Pork Chops for 1.50 a pound. (usually a family size pack) They are the fatty ones with some cross cut bone, the end part of the t-bone but as lean as pork is now, I need fatty chops to make it eatable for me. That's the reason so many pork receipts add a glaze or different sugars, I use to do it, back in the day because it cuts through the lean and makes it more palatable.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 16:42
Grease is the word!

Quote:
... as lean as pork is now, I need fatty chops to make it eatable for me.

Had some grilled chicken breast (shudder) at a friends house. It was so juicy and delicious I thought it was pork chop or even a fatty fish!

The chef is a wizard -- ill ask for his recipe when I go over this weekend to help with yard work and post it here ...

The fresh corn succotash was to die for, but was not low-carb

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Dec-05-18 at 16:48.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 16:55

Plan: p:e
Stats: 298/149/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 94%

One day on top of another is how we do it. Not perfection but doing our best and measuring success by adherence not by the scale number.

Loving the concept of cheese reverently for dessert! I will try that next Christmas. Are you in France, Meme?
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 17:31

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm in Texas with a French immigrant mother, Ohamy.
Yes the cheese is treated in France as a food to savor, eating it with a knife and fork at the end of the meal, many times without bread. The slim ladies seem to have the cheese but not the surgery dessert!
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Dec-05-18, 20:41

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

I have adopted that kind of tradition. Moved, as much as possible, yogurt, fruit and cheese to dessert status. Or no dessert at all.
  #38   ^
Old Thu, Dec-06-18, 09:15

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 155/143/125 Female 63
BF:33.2/28.7%/24%
Progress: 40%

I’m excited. Two days w/o cheese. Down 1.7lbs. And I believe this is a new low for me. 🤩. I can’t believe it. Well on to Day 3. It amazes me how we hear ‘cheese is ok’ and has ‘zero carbs’. We take this to mean oh we can eat it. I was not measuring it. Each time I’d eat it I’d say ‘yeah, that’s a one inch cube, but in a slice’. Yeah Right. I fell for it. 😩. That is exactly why I don’t eat the ‘made LC’ items. I mostly eat natural as it is teaching me how to eat healthy, not just replace bad for not so bad food. Thank you all. You inspire me.
Ms A, that is a great idea of movie night cheese to dessert status. I am not a dessert gal much but as you are finding out I am a cheese gal. How you doing with no cheese.
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Dec-07-18, 16:33

BF:

Hmm, cheese as know it ia at 1 carb per oz. And DANDR limits it. Cant remember the exact number, but in the 2-4 oz per day range.

Im living with out it better than I thought I could. Hurray!!! Trying to include all cheese a nd milk products in this effort.

Waiting to see if my breathing and chronic congestion improve. So far--- naught!! lol
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-18, 19:43
Grease is the word!

All the cheese that you eat is made with genetically engineered rennet.

Doesn't scare me, but the uninformed might freak out
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Dec-10-18, 22:56

I have QUIT cheese, which I never thought I’d be able to - but I did. 💪🏼 By omitting it I have been able to break my stall or plateau. I don’t know if there is a difference in the two words but I’m moving ‘slowly ‘ down. 4.5# from my goal. I’m happy.
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 07:45

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Ladyhawk, congrats on the no-cheese successes.

I, too, find cheese problematic.

I like HB egg yolks w/ butter, and salt & pepper. Seems to satisfy the "something" that wants to eat cheese.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Dec-11-18, 23:56

I’m hanging in there w/ No Cheese. The loss has slowed , so many I need something else to kick my loss onto high gear. I’ve got to pay attention that I have not just substituted something else to replace lack of cheese. I’m anxious to get to my goal. Only 4-5# to get there depending on which day. 😂
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-18, 10:17

BF:

Caved over the weekend when we bought pizza for movie night with the kids. Hard to get everyone one together, so I suggested pizza knowing the teens could not resist. ( I only ate two pcs, so was thrilled that my new relationship with pizza has stuck.) But it had cheese!!!!

Back on track now.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Dec-12-18, 10:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Arielle
Caved over the weekend when we bought pizza for movie night with the kids. Hard to get everyone one together, so I suggested pizza knowing the teens could not resist. ( I only ate two pcs, so was thrilled that my new relationship with pizza has stuck.) But it had cheese!!!!

Back on track now.

Ms A, having family night is so important and so worth the cheese and carbs 😋. You’re doing good. Keep On Keeping On.