Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 09:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 252.6/252.6/175 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default What About Coconut Oil On Induction?

I am probably getting on people's nerves by asking so many questions but what about Coconut Oil? In one book I have it says I can have it but I don't see it mentioned on the boards.

I am waiting for my book of Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution to get here. I listened to the audio book first from the library but have ordered a copy to have so I can read for reference.

Thanks very much...

Barb
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 10:12

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

No problem asking questions, and since coconut oil wasn't all that well known or used in 1992, it may not be mentioned in that book anyway. Coconut oil is great for cooking, it has a higher smoke point. Butter, olive oil, avocado oil and peanut oil are also OK. Peanut oil is higher in Omega-6s and not ideal, but works for frying. Avoid any trans-fats like Crisco shortening.

Last edited by JEY100 : Thu, Oct-18-18 at 10:17.
  #3   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 11:24

BF:

Thank you Janet, What about the other nut oils and sesame seed oil, walnut oil?

I love this WOE!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 11:42

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

Some sources suggest keeping these two oils to a serving a day due to omega 6 content, like a tablespoon, but yes these are permissible.

As for the CO, we use a ton of it. The refined has no flavor so works well in LC desserts. ANd mixed with butter.. to stretch the butter and add the MCT benefits.

I have several copies of DANDR and use them for reference regularly. One caveat is that it does not contain the most up to date research. Dont get me wrong, I still use it for a guide and encouragement, but there is a ton more to learn when you are ready, just go to the research/media area of this forum and you will see what I mean. Phinney, Berg, Bikman are just a few.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 12:19

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Yes the Crack Slaw has sesame oil in it and in my opinion it makes the dish! I only really use it for that or some other asian stir-fry dishes and I keep it in the refrigerator so it won't turn rancid before I use it up.

I have found a really good American made olive oil named California Olive Ranch and I highly recommend it. It's not strong like some of those imported oils and it's pure olive which a lot of the imported ones I've read are mixed with cheaper oils for export to the US.

Any type of Coconut oil is OK. If you like and want the coconut flavor, by the unrefined. If you want it without flavor, buy the refined. I keep both for different reasons.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 13:44

BF:

Thank you Ms. Arielle and Meme for the information! I am learning a whole lot in this forum! I have been reading a whole lot of the articles and the threads in the evenings.

I haven't tried to make any kind of desserts yet and I won't until I get off of induction and start losing weight. Right now it kind of feels like a far off dream.... LOL But I know it will happen as long as I stay on with what I am doing.

Barb
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 15:06

Plan: atkins, carnivore 2023
Stats: 200/211/163 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: -30%

If desserts are not something u miss, don't think u have to make a dessert. For years I needed the lc desserts but these days, not so much.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 15:16

Stats: 240/188/185 Female 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 95%

I use a tablespoon of coconut oil very often to fry an egg or dribble over food. Virgin or extra virgin has that wonderful coconut aroma. Refined coconut oil is odorless.

As for desserts, I love sugar free gelatin. Dr. Atkins has it on his list of acceptable induction foods; I don't remember if it survived DANDR or not but don't see why not. It has aspartame in it, so if you aren't sensitive to that you can fit it in with your daily limit of artificial sweeteners.

Last edited by barb712 : Thu, Oct-18-18 at 15:23.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 16:19

BF:

I like the sugar free gelatin but I haven't made any lately. Thanks so much for the information!

Barb
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-18, 22:57

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I like to buy the pre-made Sugar free Jello cups because that way I don't have a whole bowl full since I might only have a serving cup every other week or so.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-18, 06:08

BF:

I like the sugar free jello ready made too because I am bad about not stopping at one serving.

Barb
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Oct-23-18, 19:06
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

When the Blue Diamond almonds are on sale at Walgreens I buy a couple of bags to make 'Froome Zoom' almond and rice energy bars. You see cooked and then chilled rice is an "resistant starch" unlike regular and has documented health benefits. The coconut oil provides quick energy and they don't raise my blood sugar, cause cravings or weight gain. Quite the opposite. Ingredients Sushi rice, ground almonds, coconut oil and cinnamon.

The Tour de France Sky Team swears by them calling them their "secret weapon" to win the yellow jersey.

Likely not good for "Induction", but possibly OK in maintenance, especially if you exercise and fast as much as I do. I sometimes have a couple 2" square bars for breke with black coffee -- lasts me till late afternoon when I usually dine on Rib-eye steak, eggs and grass fed butter.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Nov-03-18, 12:25

Stats: 329/323.2/225 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 6%

Well, you aren't getting on my nerves! I'm learning a lot reading the answers to your questions :0)
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Nov-04-18, 06:18

BF:

Thank you all for the information!!!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Nov-06-18, 11:54

Plan: Atkins DANDR/ Candida
Stats: 300/195.2/172 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 82%

I think we are all different on the dessert thing. I find I do way better at sticking to this when I keep sweet tastes out of my WOE. Once I start having the allowed s/f stuff it leads to my straying eventually. Same for LC wraps and breads.

I am an "abstinence is easier than moderation" person.