Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Mar-31-18, 17:43
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcc0455
I have seen enough attempts at defining a ketogenic diet to conclude there is no definitive answer. In my mind, any diet that shifts your body to using ketones as its primary fuel is ketogenic. However, ketones as a primary fuel is not the same as the presence of ketones. As an example, I did a test on myself where I increased carbs to about 80 to 100g per day, and cut fat. That resulted in eating about 1000 to 1200 calories per day for a couple weeks. Because my calorie intake was less than my calories used, my body had to make up the difference by creating ketones from stored fat. During those weeks of eating low calorie, I was surprised to see a more consistent presence of breath and urine ketones than I measured eating low carb "keto". Even so, the ketones were only supplemental to the primary fuel of glucose, so I would not consider that a ketogenic diet. Those couple weeks not only convinced me that low calorie was much harder than low carb, but also gave me a better understanding of how ketones are used.

Cool experiment. I figured it would work that way, my friend lost about 80 lbs eating 6 meals a day, sandwich, yogurt, granola bar kind of diet. I'll never forget the day he told me my salad didn't have enough protein, I glanced at his meal- pizza and lucky charms.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 15:35

Plan: Keto, IntermittentFasting
Stats: 330/238/166 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 56%

Interesting conversation. I follow a keto diet along with intermittent fasting. I have found that not eating as much fat as I used to has definitely helped me get weight loss going again.
I was eating as much butter, coconut oil, olive oil, etc as I wanted thinking (as I had read) that it would lower my urge to eat too much. What I found is that less fat has accomplished that for me instead. We are all so different. I was eating too much fat!
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 19:19

Plan: Keto to Carnivore / IF
Stats: 000/000/123 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLynn
I was eating too much fat!

JayLynn - I started Keto and IF back in mid February (down over 20 lbs so far) and I also had to cut back on the fat. I keep my carbs under 25g, hit my protein macros and I only eat enough fat to feel full. Add in IF (which I love!) and I have changed my entire relationship with food. I finally feel like I'm in control of food, and not the other way around!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-18, 20:21

Plan: Keto, IntermittentFasting
Stats: 330/238/166 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 56%

Hi Pinot, sounds like a good plan. Isn't it wonderful when we find what individually works for us?
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Apr-07-18, 11:09

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

As Dr. Westman pointed out, if you think of excess body fat as your "on-board pantry", you don't need to add tons of fat to your food for your body to be fed ketogenically. And your body will use eaten fat first, delaying consumption of the body fat you want to lose. But do eat enough fat to feel satiated. Hunger & depravation can derail you.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-18, 21:52
Registered Member

Plan: Keto/IF/LCarb
Stats: 208/175/142 Female 5' 5"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hello! I've been doing both the keto diet and LCHF, and it is working quite well for me. The weightloss is slow, but steady. I believe it is because of a low thyroid. I now am under my pysician's care to get it up to speed. I also found I had to adjust my fat and dairy (whipping cream) intake to a lesser degree, as I was gaining and hitting a plateau. I have found if I consume too much fat, it seems to knock me out of ketosis.

#22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-10-18, 07:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star123
I have found if I consume too much fat, it seems to knock me out of ketosis.

Interesting. In what way though? Blood ketones go down, looking at urine ketones, by body weight?